Comments

1. Joe says

This is really great. I love when gay issues are raised on shows like “Dancing with the Stars” because it is a show that tries its best offend no one and has a lot of middle-america viewers who rarely think about gay issues unless directly confronted with it. This makes it hard to ignore we exist.

2. Arthur says

I thought the whole thing fell flat. She danced poorly and then tried to make it appear that she’s really there as an adovcate for the gay community and hey, this is important! It didn’t work for me at all. Of course, it was nowhere near as tastless as the contestent who dedicated her dance to the armed forces.

3. A says

@RENAN:

It’s actually a very classic ballroom samba song. And just because ballroom samba is different from other sambas, doesn’t make it less legitimate than any of the other ones.

4. says

If she’s “queer-friendly”, she’s no friend of mine! I’m not a “queer”, and neither is anybody I know. “Reclaiming” sexual slurs is a dumbass thing to do anytime it’s tried, but it’s especially inappropriate now, when everybody’s making a special effort to model dignity for Gay kids.

5. ken says

I don’t think the performance worked at all, no one really seemed to understand what if was about. Linking this samba dance to the gay teen suicides seemed kind of offensive to me. I know they meant well, but just didn’t work for me.

6. Derek Pearce says

Stuffed Animal, where have you been for the last 15 years? The word “Queer” has been a badge of honour among activists and gay academics for seemingly ever. I’m totally queer and have no problem with it.

7. Tim says

I, on the other hand, am queer, in every sense of the word, and I don’t understand why it’s a ‘slur’. I wouldn’t WANT to be normal, because the notion of thinking of oneself as normal is itself abnormal – it’s an obsessive self-check against some standard on which I don’t recall being asked to vote.

8. Jerry6 says

CHO: You were competing in a dance competition. You do not mix politics with business unless your business is politics. With Gay people being only about 10% of the audience, and a lot of the rest being anti Gay, it is no wonder your votes were not where they should have been; based on talent alone. Politics took its tole.

9. Deb says

Well, I’m not sure how much effect it will have, but props to Cho for putting in the effort. Maybe some of the crazies tuning in to fawn over the Palin girl will get a clue!