2010 Election | Andrew Cuomo | Carl Paladino | Discrimination | New York

NY Gov Hopeful Paladino Apologizes For 'Dysfunctional' Homosexuality Remark, Blames Rabbis

Paladino

New York's Republican gubernatorial hopeful has a history of embarrassing, potentially damaging gaffes.

Last April, just as he was launching his campaign, Paladino had to explain away sexist and racist emails that leaked from his account; then, last month, Paladino had to defend a rant against a reporter from the New York Post. His latest slip, however, with less than a month before elections, may be the most damaging. And the most offensive.

Over the weekend, while stumping for the Orthodox Jewish vote, Paladino, who actively courted the Tea Party, basically said that gay people are mentally ill and should be ashamed. And that's putting it nicely.

"I just think my children and your children would be much better off and much more successful getting married and raising a family," said Paladino. "I don't want them brainwashed into thinking that homosexuality is an equally valid and successful option. It isn't."

His prepared remarks included this line: "There is nothing to be proud of in being a dysfunctional homosexual. That is not how God created us," which turned into this: "That's not how God created us and that's not the example that we should be showing our children."

Paladino's Democratic opponent, Andrew Cuomo, seized on the remarks, which he called a display of "stunning homophobia and a glaring disregard for basic equality." He went on, "These comments along with other views he has espoused make it clear that he is way out of the mainstream and unfit to represent New York."

Paladino, sensing the gravity of his mistake, claimed later that he didn't approve of all his comments, which, he said were suggested by the "hosts at the synagogue," he said. He also insisted, "In my speech today to Orthodox Jewish leaders in New York City, I noted my opposition to gay marriage, inspired by my Catholic beliefs, [but] I also oppose discrimination of any form." And he reiterated a point his speech made, perhaps as part of a premonition: "Don't misquote me as wanting to hurt homosexual people in any way. That would be a dastardly lie." Trust us, Paladino, we don't need to misquote anything. Your "brainwashing" remark gave us all we need.

Luckily for LGBT New Yorker's, Cuomo has about an 18-point lead over Paladino. Let's not get too excited, though, because there's still that little detail of actually going out to vote on November 2nd.

Update: This post has been updated to highlight Paladino's actual versus prepared remarks. The candidate now claims that the press has been putting words into his mouth, because he never actually said anything about "brainwashing." He just implied it...

Watch Paladino's speech, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. o in other wors he's laming the Jews? The Jews made him do it?

Paladino has to reach up to touch bottum.

Posted by: Will | Oct 11, 2010 7:59:32 AM

2. he looks like he has some form of liver disease

Posted by: AlexM | Oct 11, 2010 8:05:20 AM

3. I hope this is enough to make sure we all get off our proverbial asses and get to the polls and vote on November 2. State Senate, Congress, Governor -- wild horses couldn't keep me from going to the polls in NY.

Posted by: Anonymous | Oct 11, 2010 8:16:34 AM

4. I am with ANONYMOUS... THIS is the reason that even if people feel injured because we have not achieved all we could have at this point regarding gay rights and progress, people CANNOT stay away in a fit of pique... progressives HAVE to show up at the polls and make sure none of these oxygen thieves make it into office!

Posted by: CKNJ | Oct 11, 2010 8:22:03 AM

5. this is another example of the republican bigots trying to run on a platform of hate. i can't wait for goproud and lcr to tell us why we should vote for this crazy man. the people of ny better wake up and realize this looney tune could be our net governor.paladino went to williamsburg and preached to the audience. the orthodox rabbis better be careful this could be the same as voting for hitler he doesn't love them either. also the orthodox should be the last group to preach hate and bigotry.they are here to escape bigotry. they also have very short memories seem to have forgotten that hate and this kind of rhetoric almost wiped them off the face of the earth. you reap what you so. they should remember this when they yell that people are antisemitic.

Posted by: walter | Oct 11, 2010 9:17:02 AM

6. I find it amusing that he is concerned over his children being "brainwashed" into thinking that homosexuality is ok. If that's the case, he must have been quite up-in-arms about his son being involved in owning/operating the short-lived gay club, Cobalt, in Buffalo. But then again, our money mustn't be as much of an abomination as we are.

Posted by: shaun | Oct 11, 2010 9:20:54 AM

7. I just think my children and your children would be much better off and more successful not being lead by vile, lying, disgusting and ignroant bigots who are clearly antifamily. I don't want them brainwashed into thinking that being a person like Paladino is equally valid and successful option when it comes to be a whole, sane, positive member of any civilized society -- it isn't.

Posted by: Bart | Oct 11, 2010 9:21:33 AM

8. Isn't that guy the president of zoophiles against homosexuality?

What a trainwreck of a campaign. So long, sucker!

Posted by: Martin | Oct 11, 2010 9:41:57 AM

9. His speech was a good thing, in that he showed his true side, ugly and repulsive.
    When I VOTE (as always) the Republican Party is not even a choice to decide on.
    As much as I am disappointed in Obama and the democrats, they are the only choice.
    To me, the tea party is the Klan without the hoods, the Republicans embrace of them shows their true side.

Posted by: Rob West | Oct 11, 2010 9:58:32 AM

10. Blaming Jews for an anti-gay remark. I guess he's not so concerned with getting the NYC vote.

Posted by: MichaelDC | Oct 11, 2010 10:38:07 AM

11. Blame the Jews.

I'd be the first one to point out the costumes of the orthedox make them look like clowns just like catholic costumes and muslim costumes and budhist clown costumes plus all are backwards barbaric nonsense...............BUT OY

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Oct 11, 2010 10:42:14 AM

12. PS

This nut has a daughter out of wedlock from an affair he had (cheated on wife)

So yeah he and his children would be so much better at raising a family.

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Oct 11, 2010 11:14:11 AM

13. This man is a real homophobe.

Posted by: Apples | Oct 11, 2010 11:20:06 AM

14. See, & they say the Jews don't controll American politics...phooey!!

Posted by: von lmo | Oct 12, 2010 1:30:53 AM

15. Bart said "I just think my children and your children would be much better off and more successful not being lead by vile, lying, disgusting and ignroant bigots who are clearly antifamily. I don't want them brainwashed into thinking that being a person like Paladino is equally valid and successful option when it comes to be a whole, sane, positive member of any civilized society -- it isn't.

I'm glad this douche is Catholic, then he must know there is a special place is hell for cretins like him. He's everything and more that Jesus Christ rallied against."

Couldn't have said it better!

Posted by: wimsy | Oct 12, 2010 2:33:08 PM

16. I wouldn't be surprised if he made a shamefully antisemitic speech on a topic called "The Jews and their Lies."

Posted by: Ed-M | Oct 12, 2010 2:39:15 PM