Colorado

BigGayDeal.com

Republican Senate Candidate Ken Buck Compares Homosexuality To Alcoholism, Says It's A Choice

Buck
This morning, during an appearance on Meet The Press, Colorado Senate candidate Ken Buck made a blatantly homophobic remark when he was asked by host David Gregory if being gay is a choice. I'll let the transcript below speak for itself:

GREGORY: In a debate last month, you expressed your support for "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and you alluded to lifestyle choices. Do you believe that being gay is a choice?

BUCK: I do.

GREGORY: Based on what?

BUCK: Based on what? I guess you can choose who your partner is.

GREGORY: You don't think it's something that's determined at birth?

BUCK: I think that birth has an influence over it, like alcoholism and some other things, but I think that basically, you have a choice.

Sen. Michael Bennet, who was sitting beside his opponent during the show, remarked that he "absolutely believes (Buck) is outside the mainstream of views on this."

Naturally, Buck's backpedaled on his statements, post-interview. He explained afterward: "I said I thought there was some element of predisposition and I thought there was some element of choice. I not a biologist and I haven't studied the issue but that's my feeling on the issue. I was talking about predisposition. I wasn't talking about being gay as a disease. I don't think that at all. What I meant was that I think there are a variety of factors."

Watch the Meet the Press clp, AFTER THE JUMP.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. being a douche is also a lifestyle choice. someone should let him know that.

Posted by: KP | Oct 17, 2010 12:34:35 PM

2. A reporter needs to follow up with Buck and ask him when he chose to be attracted to women.

Posted by: GregB | Oct 17, 2010 12:41:44 PM

3. Buck is going down anyway; the revelation of his refusal to prosecute a rape case where the perpetrator admitted he raped the girl is causing Busk problems

His being against abortion even in cases of rape are hurting him and his poll numbers r dropping fast (flawed poll numbers anyway that do not take into account non landline residents and are factoring AA vote equivalent to past midterms when there wasn't an AA president)

Like 2 weeks to go and Buck is dropping fast

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Oct 17, 2010 12:44:58 PM

4. Just because he, himself, could choose between living straight or gay doesn't mean everyone else does! He must assume that everyone has bisexual tendencies like him. And even if people choose, that's irrelevant -- the question is if being gay/bi is fine or not, and yes, it is just fine. I hate when people like him, especially politicians, make remarks based on their own assumptions about themselves rather than to talking to other people and looking at research.

Posted by: X | Oct 17, 2010 12:47:53 PM

5. He will shortly announce his plans to marry Valerie Jarrett.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 17, 2010 12:57:42 PM

6. I am getting really tired of straight people telling me that being gay is a choice. I'm gay, you're straight. Guess who already has more authority on the subject?!

Posted by: David | Oct 17, 2010 1:08:34 PM

7. My first thought was "So he's wants to get my pants but chooses not to?"

Being ignorant on issues is a choice. Opening your mouth when you're ignorant on issues is a choice. Running for office is a choice. Sexuality - straight, gay, or somehwere inbetween is a biological, psychological, physiological determination of fact.

And as far as "outside the mainstream on his views," who gives a rat's ass what someone's views on this are. Facts are facts. We need to stop acting like facts are up for debate.

Posted by: Bart | Oct 17, 2010 1:14:33 PM

8. I've decided to no longer get angry. I just donate $$$ to the opponent. I've had it with the anti-gay BS. There's no point complaining, when you can take action.

or more specifically:

Posted by: Alpha | Oct 17, 2010 1:19:03 PM

9. "When did you choose to be straight" you tube video

make it viral people. The best way to deal with "its a choice" is not confrontationaly but friendly "when did u choose to be straight" it really gets people to think and come more to our side/reality

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Oct 17, 2010 1:21:05 PM

10. Hi, I'm Jim and I'm a Homoholic.

Posted by: Jim Fotter | Oct 17, 2010 1:27:17 PM

11. Doing some research into this race, I discovered that while Bennett believes that being gay isn't a choice (or that it is mainstream, which for a politicain means it is what they believe), he still doesn't support full equality. Instead, he has publicly stated that while he supports the repeal of DOMA, he believes that marriage should be decided on a state by state basis and that he would support it if it is on the ballot in Colorado. This indicates that he does NOT think it is a federal right.

Of course he is miles better than his opponent, but it is just another case of how screwed we are.

Posted by: Joe | Oct 17, 2010 1:37:51 PM

12. At first, I was appalled by this comment. But then I reconsidered a bit, if you take out the fact that alcoholism is a pejorative and considered an illness. If you think about it, alcoholism is not a choice either.

What he is saying is that homosexuality is, in fact, genetic. And that if one is an alcoholic, one is always an alcoholic, even if one chooses not to drink. Which is like saying that a man remains gay, even if he is married to a woman.

So, in that sense, we do have a choice. We can overcome our genetic make-up and never have sex. But that still will not make us straight.

Yes, yes. This is still a stupid analogy. But what if he had said that homosexuality is like having red hair. One is born with that naturally and it's not a choice. One has a choice to dye one's hair - hide your true nature - but one still has red hair.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Oct 17, 2010 2:08:31 PM

13. @David well put.
    If all those candidates actually get to the Congress, what a chaos it will be!

Posted by: Matt26 | Oct 17, 2010 2:09:53 PM

14. You don't have to be smart to be a politician.

Posted by: David in Houston | Oct 17, 2010 2:29:53 PM

15. The only ones who think its a choice are those capable of making the choice.. Just saying..

Posted by: Rovex | Oct 17, 2010 2:38:35 PM

16. I know I had a choice. I could be a lonely, bitter, celibate man, or I could be happy. I made the right choice.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Oct 17, 2010 2:43:35 PM

17. I have to take issue with Sen. Bennett:

"absolutely believes (Buck) is outside the mainstream of views on this."

Outside the mainstream doesn't mean Bennett thinks he's wrong. It means that what Buck said isn't popular. It's the most wishy-washy weak or at the worst traitorous thing he could have said.

Does Bennett think being gay is a choice, or was he just commenting that he's too politically savvy to say it out loud?

Is he hoping that all the homophobes out there won't get mad at him if he says Buck is wrong?

Posted by: toasterhedgehog | Oct 17, 2010 3:06:05 PM

18. gr8guyca: You do know that what you stated contradicts your point? Actions are the choice, sexuality is not, given both statements of it being genetic. You wrote that a man is still gay even though he chooses to be with a woman. That would mean, his sexuality, being gay, is not a choice. Therefor, being gay, the initial question asked,is not a choice. And you both proved that point, though I don't think either of you noticed. (well u started off saying he could be right, but you contradict his point with your explaination, then seemed to forget that he was trying to say it was a choice, but then you got lost somewhere in your explaination)

Although he's an idiot and should have said genetics, which many would not have thought of ailments as a comparison. But you know he was up all night for weeks working on that brilliant analogy and patted himself on the back afterwards. lol

Posted by: B | Oct 17, 2010 3:17:17 PM

19. Pointing out the obvious again: if a straight man thinks it's a choice, then he has deeper issues to work out. However, I know several women who appear to be able to choose. They seem totally straight but then switch to a homosexual relationship -- or vica versa. That ability itself is an inborn trait, but it does confuse the issue. The anti-gay person can point to these cases as proof that it's just a lifestyle choice.

Posted by: Robert | Oct 17, 2010 3:18:02 PM

20. This guy can go fuck himself. Actually, given the history of homophobes like him, he probably does...

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Oct 17, 2010 3:30:03 PM

21. @Robert: it's pretty clear that lesbians and gay men do not experience their sexualities the same way. MOST women (80%?) will answer that it's a choice for them, while most men (90% or more) will answer that it is not.

Posted by: Kevinvt | Oct 17, 2010 3:34:02 PM

22. Does anybody think gays will protest his next rally like they did President Obama when he was in Boston?

Posted by: MickkW | Oct 17, 2010 3:41:22 PM

23. @KEVINVT,

where do you get those figures? nothing is more off-putting than unsubstantiated claims.

Posted by: nic | Oct 17, 2010 5:02:38 PM

24. Oh my giddy aunt. By Ken Buck's logic, I had a choice of being either republican or intelligent and compassionate. Oh wait, it wasn't a choice. I have something between my ears functioning at a higher capacity than "look at them titties."

Posted by: Seoul Brother | Oct 17, 2010 5:13:47 PM

25. Scum. No way around it...he's just a bigoted puddle of slop. Useless person. can't wait for the day when they don't get a platform...it's coming...they'll be just as reviled as the triple K.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 17, 2010 6:34:55 PM