News | Television

BigGayDeal.com

Rick Grimes Versus Andrew Lincoln, A Battle Between Real And Imagined Zombie-Related Ruggedness

Andrew-lincoln-as-rick-grimes-in-the-walking-dead-1

In anticipation of AMC's new series, The Walking Dead, I spent a good chunk of my weekend reading the Robert Kirkman-written Image Comics graphic version, which follows police officer Rick Grimes' journey through a Zombie-ridden world.

As I look forward to the show, and more installments of the comic, I'm wondering if any one out there's pondering what I am: Is real life actor Andrew Lincoln as attractive as artist Tony Moore's original rendition of the fictional character? Follow-up question: Am I strange for finding an imaginary comic book character attractive?

And, finally, a recommendation: read The Walking Dead. Sure, there are some zombie cliches, but it's actually a truly compelling book. So, too, is DC's Scalped, which also deserves to be made into a series, although would need the adult-ready ratings available at HBO or Showtime.

UPDATE: I just read issue #36 of Scalped and see it's getting into gay territory. How will [censored] survive on the reservation as a gay man?

Comments

1. I have thought Andrew Lincoln was hot from the first time I noticed him on the BBC series Afterlife. Give me real life any day!

Posted by: Tom | Oct 4, 2010 6:18:02 PM

2. Wow thats crazy that you posted this. I downloaded issues 1-68 last week in anticipation of this show and I have been reading them voraciously since. But to answer your query, based on trailers I don't find him to be as attractive or to even to have the presence that Rick has in the comics. I'm worried if he'll do the role justice but I would be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Posted by: Antonio | Oct 4, 2010 6:21:31 PM

3. Yes, you are weird for objectifying a comic book character. But so am I. I used to drool over Jim Lee's drawings of shirtless Gambit playing basketball. Boing.

Posted by: JohnnyP | Oct 4, 2010 6:44:44 PM

4. So excited for this series. I just finished reading "World War Z" and it was absolutely spectacular. I'm so ready for the zombie apocalypse.

Posted by: SKOC211 | Oct 4, 2010 6:48:06 PM

5. Glad to hear I'm not the only weirdo.
    I have a thing for Sterling Archer. In real life I'd never go for a guy who wears turtlenecks.

Posted by: Urmensch | Oct 4, 2010 6:59:04 PM

6. Wow! Thanks for bringing up "Scalped", I had never heard of it until now. As a gay Native American, its nice to know that we can at least get some recognition even if it manages to be in a comic book.

Posted by: GL | Oct 4, 2010 6:59:57 PM

7. I think the actor is mediocre looking at best. So no, not even close to being as attractive.

Posted by: Jeremy | Oct 4, 2010 7:24:15 PM

8. Agreed. Comic Rick is way hotter. Same with Shane Walsh.

Thanks for giving us gay nerds something to obsess over :)

Posted by: Casey | Oct 4, 2010 7:26:58 PM

9. If people weren't turned on by imaginary men in comic books, I would be out of a job!

Cheers,
    Dale Lazarov
    writer/editor of chic hardcovers of gay erotic comics published by Bruno Gmünder Verlag

Posted by: Dale Lazarov | Oct 4, 2010 7:33:51 PM

10. "Am I strange for finding an imaginary comic book character attractive?"

No. Infact from my observations it seems to be very common if not completely normal.

If you have a deviantART account (or don't mind getting one) I highly recommend looking at this image

Otherwise you can see the image here

Image (C) dronio @deviantART

Posted by: ravewulf | Oct 4, 2010 8:11:57 PM

11. Do I remember rightly that somebody is developing a film based on WORLD WAR Z?

Posted by: CoMo'mo | Oct 4, 2010 9:47:43 PM

12. Love that you posted something about comics! I think this is like the 3rd or 4th post concerning comics on towleroad(recently). YAY! I would also recommend reading Y:The Last Man and if you can find it Peter David's run on Supergirl. Super excited for The Walking Dead series on AMC!

Posted by: lazlo | Oct 4, 2010 10:20:53 PM

13. Brad Beyer.

Seriously, a week's growth of beard on Brad Beyer.

Posted by: Commeca | Oct 5, 2010 12:57:50 AM

14. That's not a good picture of Andrew, but he is way hot, especially in the early Nineties series THIS LIFE...

Posted by: wirrrn | Oct 5, 2010 2:41:15 AM

15. Are you weird for thinking cartoon characters are hot? No, of course not -- they're meant to be. Take a look at Gail Simone's "Secret Six" series -- some seriously toothsome male flesh there. Or go back to Barry Windsor Smith's Conan from the early '70s -- prettiest Conan ever.

And there are some major foxes in manga, too.

Posted by: Hunter | Oct 5, 2010 8:50:11 AM

16. Hooray for gay comic nerds! I also recently read the comics, it's super fun stuff. I'll have to see this actor in action to decide if he's a cutie.

Posted by: Jose | Oct 5, 2010 8:56:09 PM

17. I've read the first 50 issues of "Living Dead" and can't wait for the series premiere!
    As a comic artist/writer I love reading stuff like this on Towleroad! As for my work, you can go to CampusGhostStory.com

Posted by: John Hahn | Oct 6, 2010 3:12:59 AM