Atlanta | Education | News

BigGayDeal.com

Report: Gay Emory Student Dragged from Frat Party by Neck

Emory University's student newspaper, The Emory Wheel, is reporting on an incident over the weekend in which a student was "forcibly ejected" from a Sigma-Nu frat party by his neck after it was discovered that he is gay.

The Emory Wheel reports: Sigmnu

According to the alleged victim, his admission that he was gay instigated his forceful removal from the premises. His ejection was accompanied by anti-gay slurs and followed by what he termed “affirmative cheering” from many in attendance.

The student, who has not yet filed a police report and wished to remain unnamed for this story, attended the party at Sigma Nu’s off-campus house with multiple friends after first venturing out to Eagle Row. His particular choice of costume — a lime-green jacket, red pants and a wizard hat — meant that he stood out immediately among the crowd at the house, the student acknowledged.

“At first, when I walked into the party, some people were taking pictures of me and appreciating, if you will, what I was wearing,” he said.

About half an hour later, however, another attendee — confirmed by multiple witnesses as recent alum Adam Smith (’10C) — took the student’s wizard hat and began questioning him.

“This guy approached me and asked why I was wearing my hat. ... I said that I like the hat, just as you like your pink shirt. He then asked me if I was gay, and I said I was. He then started choking me with his elbow and put me into a head lock, and he dragged me out of the party by my neck.”

After the student was allegedly dragged the approximately 10 to 15 feet from the house’s common area to the door and thrown onto the front lawn, Smith was overheard telling other attendees “Hey, this kid’s a f****t.”

More, AFTER THE JUMP...

Other reports vary, but not greatly:

College junior Sabrina Bernstein, who attended the party with the student, echoed the student's account of the altercation and of the approving reaction of those who realized what was going on.

“[Someone] said something along the lines of ‘Good, now we got that taken care of,’” Bernstein said.

The Sigma-Nu chapter president told the paper that they are taking the incident seriously:

“We’d like the Emory community to know that we are taking this allegation very seriously. We have reviewed the limited information made available to us in an effort to learn as much as we can.”

The statement refers to the alleged victim as “an uninvited Emory student [who] was not known by anyone who lived in the residence.” The statement continues on to say that Smith was asked to leave as a direct result of the altercation.

“At this point,” the statement concludes, “we believe this to be an issue of personal, not fraternity, conduct.”

A commenter claiming to be Adam Smith, the alum responsible for the ejection, left a comment defending his actions on the Emory Wheel site:

"Further there was not any 'approving reaction' from the crowd at the party for me putting this kid in a headlock and throwing him out, nor was I walking around bragging to other people that I just kicked 'this faggot kid' out of the party, high five bro...Really?? This whole dumb event occurred because I was drunk and thought it would be funny to throw someone out to the wrath of the huge security guard at the door, and the most ridiculous person that naturally stood out to me was this Wizard dressed kid. I purposely egged him on a little bit, he snapped back at me, and I threw him out.
So chalk this up as me being a drunk asshole, a frat guy with too much testosterone, or whatever you want to call me I really don't care. I just want everyone to know that that's literally all it was, that's the honest truth. I'm not some ignorant bigot looking to bash homosexuals, so please don't think that."

Correction: A photo published here earlier was of the wrong Adam Smith. We apologize for the mistake, and want to note that the Adam Smith depicted in the earlier photo contacted us, and says he supports gay rights.

Comments

1. LOL too bad Mr. Smith - everyone already thinks that. What a tool.

Posted by: EO | Oct 26, 2010 9:49:14 AM

2. We are told hate and recrimination is not the answer, but we are being humiliated, bashed, and worst of all tortured and murdered.

At some point we have got to start fighting back and putting a few gay bashing a**holes down.

I don''t like being filled with hate, and violent feelings, but how long are we supposed to allow people in our community to be bullied and murdered?

Posted by: Ricco | Oct 26, 2010 9:57:53 AM

3. So being a drunk asshole is ok, but being a bigot isnt? Wow way to justify it dickhead.

He could have seriously injured the guy. What this demonstrates really is he is a complete jerk and was looking for any reason to behave like that. Someone was going to get it that night whatever happened, he just happened to pick on the 'faggot'. I guess all is forgiven then!

Posted by: rovex | Oct 26, 2010 10:14:28 AM

4. I'll bet this guy actually believes that he didn't single out this guy b/c he's gay, but subconsciously, he chose this guy b/c he perceived him to be weaker and an easy target... that's often what gay people represent to straight-toughs at large- the same reason that male on female violence occurs; a perceived weakness. Ultimately, the absence of repercussions becomes an endorsement/reinforcement of the negative actions.

His personal dismissal reeks of that 'boys will be boys' baloney- Are we to be fully be a nation of apes???

Posted by: pete | Oct 26, 2010 10:18:34 AM

5. You know that guy who continues to go to frat parties after he's graduated, can't hold his liquor, and puts faggots in headlocks?

Yyyyeah. Don't be that guy.

Posted by: Name2 | Oct 26, 2010 10:35:06 AM

6. So even though he doesn't think he's a bigot (which he is) he thinks it is fine to be a drunk asshole. Way to not only fulfill, but embrace the stereotype there.

Color me surprised that this happened at a private school in Georgia. Not.

Posted by: Joe | Oct 26, 2010 10:38:06 AM

7. "So chalk this up as me being a drunk asshole, a frat guy with too much testosterone, or whatever you want to call me I really don't care."

Ha ha, that's a quote I'd want floating around following me forever. He sounds like a perfectly charming douchebag. At very, very least, he should be ridiculed mercilessly to the point of physical and mental breakdown.

Posted by: Gregoire | Oct 26, 2010 10:39:19 AM

8. As an alumni of Emory, this is really upsetting. When I was there, 4 years ago, Emory was a very accepting place. I actually couldn't really see this happening. I was friends with several Sig Nu's, in fact, one of the more popular kids in Sig Nu is gay. I'm going to be calling the administration, and asking my friends to call as well, to ask that the fraternity be made an example of.

Posted by: Jon B | Oct 26, 2010 10:40:04 AM

9. What a pathetic excuse...deflect, avoid and blame something else for your own complete absence of socially accepted behavior.

Oh "don't blame me...I'm just and alcoholic moron...a dude with too much testosterone," duh??

Mr Smith you drank that alcohol, you know this is what happens when you consume alcohol like a sponge sucks h2o...so why would you expect a different outcome?

Pathetic young man, thoroughly pathetic...

New rule: "Before opening mouth to enunciate (that is if you can in your drunken stupor)make sure that brain and tongue are connected...otherwise, there will be consequences!"

Posted by: Arturo Beeche | Oct 26, 2010 10:45:14 AM

10. Mr. Smith, I'd like the chalk you up as a douchebag with an assault arrest and criminal record. You don't have too much testosterone, you're too big of a pussy for that.

Time to pull the charter for this frat house.

Posted by: Bart | Oct 26, 2010 10:45:41 AM

11. I'm always curious about what "fighting back" would look like for the gay kid in this situation. He was attacked by a drunk bigot and surrounded by a crowd of presumably other drunk bigots. There are smarter ways to fight back in a case like this, less obvious ways and perhaps more painful ways than a quick bash. I'm not suggesting anything illegal, but I mean, the attacker's name is well known. We're a smart bunch. How hard would it be, I wonder, to make it so that this Smith guy feels the need to watch over his shoulder?

Posted by: Troy | Oct 26, 2010 10:47:12 AM

12. No surprise here. And why do human beings torture themselves by wanting to go to places,parties ,clubs, whatever, where they aren't wanted or appreciated? If you know you're going to be mocked and ridiculed at that frat party, or if you know you aren't going to get into that club, why the fuck do you allow yourself to be humiliated and feel bad? I know there are places, events, whatever, where I'm not wanted, and I have no problem not going. I can usually think of a million better things to do anyway.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 26, 2010 10:49:46 AM

13. So the kid was uninvited and in a costume. Gay or not, he was asking for trouble. I don't agree with what happend to him at all, it's tragic and shameful, but seriously, why would you attend a frat party (that you weren't invited to) dressed as a gay wizard? You might as well attend an NAACP meeting wearing a KKK costume.

I'm all for anti-discrimination but we can't continue to blame everyone else for our mistakes. How many of you would have attended a party that you weren't invited to and dressed as this person was?

Go ahead, tell me how wrong and stupid I am, but personally, I take responsibility for my own actions and would never place myself (knowingly) in a situation where trouble was already brewing. Shame on them both.

Posted by: Wayne | Oct 26, 2010 10:50:51 AM

14. This douche is from Virginia, not Georgia, just to be clear. He probably has rich parents who could afford to send him to Emory. And maybe saddest of all, he's not even an undergrad... he appears to have graduated this year with a law degree from Emory School of Law.

I'm sure a hate crime allegation will look fabulous on his resume when he's applying at law firms.

Posted by: crispy | Oct 26, 2010 10:54:57 AM

15. In my experience as an undergraduate, there was more anal penetration at the Sigma Nu house than in a proctology clinic. Glass houses, bitches. Glass houses.

Posted by: The Milkman | Oct 26, 2010 10:55:06 AM

16. Every time an american friend attempts to explain your fraternity house system I become as confussed as when i try to understand the rules of American football.

There always seems to be a strong undertone of exclusion about these "frat houses", even the films about them seem to be more about exclusion and suffering than about support and friendship.

Perhaps your universities should reform the fraternity house system which seems to underpin so much prejudice and snobbery - not to say latent homophobia - or am I just missing the point of all this sigma pui alpha stuff ?

Posted by: arch | Oct 26, 2010 10:55:27 AM

17. "I know there are places, events, whatever, where I'm not wanted, and I have no problem not going."

And yet you continue coming back to Towleroad. Strange.

Posted by: crispy | Oct 26, 2010 10:57:20 AM

18. Ummm, Wayne, do you really think everyone at a frat party is invited?

It was a freakin' wizard hat. When did THAT become a gay symbol? But I don't care if the kid was in full on Liza Minelli drag, it was a costume party. And he may have been under the mistaken impression that students at a high profile and well-respected private educational institution would be above the need to make someone at a party "less than" everyone else by throwing them out. So much for Southern hospitality. Not sure how Smith wasn't blackballed during rush years ago. It's always the ones who should have been who are the hangers on after they graduate.

Posted by: Troy | Oct 26, 2010 10:59:23 AM

19. "So being a drunk asshole is ok, but being a bigot isnt?"

Well, yeah. lol

Posted by: JeffRob | Oct 26, 2010 11:05:36 AM

20. So this guy has a law degree? I wonder what a conviction for drunk and disorderly will do for his career.

Let's find out.

Posted by: Joel | Oct 26, 2010 11:06:45 AM

21. You want me to stop posting on Towleroad,Crispy? Better still, you want me to stop reading Towleroad also?

If you can get a crew together and make a petition or something, I will.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 26, 2010 11:12:47 AM

22. Wayne,
    You also are a douchebag.

Posted by: Pointless | Oct 26, 2010 11:12:59 AM

23. everything about Atlanta seems disgusting

1) It is in Georgia

2) It is in the deep South

3) If you hold an Olympics there a Christianist Terrorist will blow people up

4)It is surrounded by cheap ugly suburban sprawl hyper built in the last decade that will turn ghettos of white and black low end scum.

Good luck to anyone living there.

Posted by: rjp3 | Oct 26, 2010 11:17:17 AM

24. Get your facts straight: this Adam Smith graduated with a business degree in 2010. Don't saddle the law grad Adam Smith with a bad reputation just because he has the misfortune of sharing this guy's name.

Posted by: bob | Oct 26, 2010 11:29:26 AM

25. @Bob: Are you saying the picture and Facebook link are the wrong person?

Posted by: crispy | Oct 26, 2010 11:33:31 AM