Jack Conway | Kentucky | News | Rand Paul | Tea Party | Teabagger

Watch: Rand Paul and Jack Conway Debate, in 164 Seconds

Conway_paul

TPM has posted video clips from what they're calling the "nastiest debate of 2010" between Kentucky Senate Tea Party candidate Rand Paul and his opponent, Democrat Jack Conway.

Conway recently released an ad going after Paul's membership in a student secret society in college, and that's what much of the debate centered around.

Paul is reportedly threatening to pull out of the final debate because of Conway's ad.

Watch debate clips and Conway's ad, AFTER THE JUMP...

And here's Conway's ad:

Comments

1. It only goes to prove why smart and thoughtful people don't get into politics. It is a game that forces you to muck around in the same swill with people like this. In Toronto we are in the midst of a mayoral election and it saddens me to say that I have no idea who I'm going to vote for because none of the candidates seem to have a vision for my city. I feel sorry for the state of Kentucky as they seem to have no choice either.

Posted by: jamesintoronto | Oct 18, 2010 1:22:06 PM

2. There's a lot to attack Paul over, and perhaps this is the most effective route considering the state in question, but I can't help but feel its unfair and more than a little repulsive.

Posted by: Wes | Oct 18, 2010 1:23:24 PM

3. Clearly, Kentuckians could care less that Paul would abolish Medicare and Social Security, or that he opposes provisions in the Civil Rights Act, so... "Aqua Buddha".

Repubs never play fair, and Dems roll over. I'm in the "take the teabaggers down any way you can" camp. Lord knows they won't give a second thought to how they'll hurt us once in power

Posted by: Kugel | Oct 18, 2010 1:35:07 PM

4. They both came across as idiots. So I'm gonna have to fall back on who's most attractive. Congrats, Mr. Conway.

Posted by: crispy | Oct 18, 2010 1:40:49 PM

5. Jamesintoronto:

If you're not sure who to vote for between Rob Ford and George Smitherman, please vote for the one that's not Rob Ford.

It's not a great choice, but surely we can agree that Rob Ford's platform of using office supplies from his other full time job, and priority cleaning of graffiti doesn't really qualify as a platform.

And yes, there's limited room for telling it like it is in politics these days - the public can't handle the truth.

Posted by: MammaBear | Oct 18, 2010 1:50:58 PM

6. This was like a high school bitch fight. I say put them in a ring and let them beat the shit out of each other. Whoever has the most teeth at the end of the match becomes Senator.

I can't say enough bad about Rand Paul. He's so far out there that there's nothing redeemable about him. But let me assure Jack Conway that not a single thing he highlighted was a "fundamental question." This asswipe is the Attorney General of the State? He's a dope and must have nothing to run on if this is the best he can do in a debate (or in an attack ad.)

If you rub these two dimwits together, wouldn't their heads spark?

Posted by: Bart | Oct 18, 2010 1:51:00 PM

7. wow two total douchebags! I'm so glad I don't live in Kentucky!

Posted by: tom a | Oct 18, 2010 1:58:23 PM

8. Ending faith-based initiatives and funding for religious charities? Wow, I never thought as a socialist that I could support a Republican policy. I live in the UK, but your own First Amendment forbids laws respecting an establishment of religion. Tax dollars shouldn't be spent on furthering the interests of religious organisations looking to boost their numbers as is their apparent predilection. Anything constructive a religious organisation can do can be done better by an inclusive, non-partisan one.

Rand Paul, however, is still putrid.

Posted by: BenB | Oct 18, 2010 2:02:58 PM

9. I'm a Democrat and I think Conway is a fool. There are so many substantive issues that he should be talking about. That is Rand Paul's true weakness. To focus on a narrow issue that happened in college is ridiculous. It's like a Democrat is trying to be as sleazy as a Republican - but failing.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Oct 18, 2010 2:12:40 PM

10. Yet another example of Rand Paul's special brand of crazy.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Oct 18, 2010 2:14:06 PM

11. I live here and I completely agree with the comments above - the ads and debates over the past two weeks with these two baboons has been ridiculous.

I really keep wanting Jack to have a better showing at these things, but alas. Two wrongs...

And Crispy - ditto. I've seen him naked in the gym locker room - not bad!

Posted by: JNJ | Oct 18, 2010 2:27:29 PM

12. Yeah, wow, both are complete idiots that don't adress ONE ISSUE of substance. I feel for my brothers and sisters in Kentucky.

Posted by: Mark | Oct 18, 2010 2:39:58 PM

13. Aqua Buddha for Senate!

Posted by: John Normile | Oct 18, 2010 3:02:30 PM

14. This is what they like kentucky...aside from incest and generational alcoholism/poverty.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 18, 2010 3:08:39 PM

15. Perhaps "Aqua Buddha" is a drinking fountain in the form of Buddha, and Rand Paul was offering his date a cool refreshing drink (she was a little tied-up so she couldn't get it herself). It's all perfectly innocent and he was actually being a thoughtful, considerate gentleman.

Do I need to explain where the water comes out?

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Oct 18, 2010 3:09:34 PM

16. And rand paul's leading...imagine a senate with sharron angle and rand paul. Cspan and payperview will partner up.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 18, 2010 3:11:12 PM

17. For fuck's sake ! are the electorate in Kentucky all morons ?
    Where is the debate on the economy assholes ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 18, 2010 3:29:38 PM

18. @TANK: Wow, way to just parrot the same tired old stereotypes about people in Appalachia. Do you actually know anyone from the state? Have you ever even set foot there? Bigotry and ignorance aren't cool, man, no matter who the target might be.

Posted by: LARRY CRAIG (NOT THAT ONE) | Oct 18, 2010 4:09:38 PM

19. larry

Jack is correct in condemning kentucky for being an ass-backwards dark ages spot

KY is the home of the Creation Museum

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Oct 18, 2010 4:23:50 PM

20. I was at Baylor about the same time as Paul. He shouldn't be slammed for belonging to a satirical organization that took the piss out of the hypocrisy and self-righteousness of so much at that school.

His policy positions are fair game. But college pranks? Really? This is what we've come to?

Google the Noze Brothers. It's like hating the publishers of The Onion.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Oct 18, 2010 4:24:35 PM

21. PS to others condeming Conway

Conway has been hammering Rand Paul on the issues of privatize everything including social security (if bush had his way and SS had been privatized imagine everyones SS down the drain when the market crashed during this recession)

The problem that this is Kentucky

again; home of the creationist museum that has adam and eve riding dinosaurs

substantive issues do not sink through the neanderthal skulls of the majority of kentucky voters (there is a scary black man in the white house AYEEEEEEE!)

only dark ages mumbo jumbo bible thumping does, thus why it is the home of the Creationist museum

Hello, can i repeat that enough or has it sunk through everyone's skull yet

kentucky is the home of the creationist museum = backasswards dark ages state filled with neanderthals (sorry neanderthals for the put down of equating to kentucky red necks)

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Oct 18, 2010 4:29:07 PM

22. post post script

LOL

proof of point the polls are now showing Rand loosing support due his belonging to a cultish secret society thing that isn't xtian when he was in colege

Hello! Kentucky + issues = DUHHHHH

kentucky + religious nuttery= and ears perk up and the bible thumpers get scared of rand paul and aqua budha

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Oct 18, 2010 4:32:24 PM

23. The gay world condemns bullying as I read the comments of lots of bullies on this wall.

Ever been to Kentucky? Know anything about it other than repeating stereotypes? That's what I thought.

I was born and raised in KY and college educated at a top 50 university. I was taught to be welcoming and understanding by a family that has lived nowhere else but KY. There are brainless morons across the nation and they all need there eyes opened to different ways of living. I will state that Kentuckians may be somewhat backwards but are some of the most generous people.

So how bout you save your stereotypes and bullying and not blanket statement an entire state?

Posted by: Mark | Oct 18, 2010 4:43:16 PM

24. How about no? Hmmm? How bout that, slick? I have been to kentuckah--one of my best friends from college was born and raised in rural kentuckah. He's a smart guy (majored in computer science and mathematics, and then when on to get his phD). I talk to him quite a bit, actually. And there are exceptions...but he'd be the first to tellya...kentuckah isn't known for being progressive or having particularly educated, intelligent tolerant people. Its history just doesn't bear that out.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 18, 2010 4:51:50 PM

25. "one of my best friends from college"

Like anyone here is gonna believe you have friends.

Posted by: asdf | Oct 18, 2010 4:59:17 PM