Film | India

Bollywood's 'Brokeback Mountain' Is Released

This weekend brings the release of the movie Dunno Y...Na Jaane Kyun, the first Bollywood film to feature an onscreen gay kiss, in India. In the months leading up to its release, the movie has been touted as that country's Brokeback Mountain. Censors in India, where homosexuality was legalised only last year, have apparently cut many of the gay scenes.

Dunnoy Dunno Y's star Kapil Sharma recently revealed how he feels about the controversial film's release and also talks about protests he's face already:

"The feeling before the release is mixed. I am excited, nervous, anxious and happy. The film has faced many controversies, from the censors taking three months, to getting distributors for an unconventional subject."

The star spoke also about the pre-release controversy surrounding the film: "Recently I received threatening mails, in which it was written that this film would corrupt society and that homosexuality is part of western culture. They said that we would be damaging society if it releases, and the consequences would be bad for us.

"Political party workers also came down to my building to protest, until the police took good care of the situation. I am scared that they may create further scene on release of the film, but let us hope for the best."

Earlier this year, co-star Yuvraj Parashar's father publicly disowned his son for playing gay on screen. Their relationship has improved and Parashar has since sent another actor in the movie to speak with his father and "play peacemaker."

Breaking yet another barrier in Asia, Malaysia will see the release of its own first gay film in February.

Watch a BBC report about the release of Dunno Y...Na Jaane Kyun, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. 1. BBC is quality. Best news channel in the world and always showing fights for gay rights.
    2. Wonderful this movie is to be released. Big step in India.
    3. The movie seems nice.
    4. Indian culture is colorful and interesting.
    5. The poster of the movie is sexy.

Posted by: Matt26 | Nov 13, 2010 10:54:36 AM

2. The BBC reporter is cute, too, but his name is really 'Howard Johnson'? LOL

Posted by: Philo | Nov 13, 2010 12:06:03 PM

3. Can anyone tell us if an uncensored director's cut will be available outside of India in a format compatible with players used here in the States?

Posted by: Ross | Nov 13, 2010 12:21:30 PM

4. I am always amazed at the reactionary stance against homosexuality in Indian. In the ancient book Mahabharata, of which the Gita is actually a part, the ancient warriot Ajuna is sent into exhile with his brothers. Ajuna decides to hide himself in plain sight by dressing and acting like a homosexual and taking to teaching music.
    Modern culture is to much involved in perceptions. What are gay people adding to society --- are they paying their taxes, are they bringing up a family, are they contributing to the growth and welfare of society. Then why should it matter who they love. The values are askew. Let's focus on what is commonly good for all and fix those things that are broken. Being distracted by who is sleeping with whom is to much like high-school!

Posted by: daya | Nov 13, 2010 12:28:42 PM

5. is it true what the "christian" said about hindus also being antigay?

Posted by: r | Nov 13, 2010 12:40:25 PM

6. I have dated many men from India, and met many of their straight friends, I also worked with many here in the Diamond District. For the most part even the gay men were homophobic. One who was married before he and his wife moved here said she divorced him when she discovered him cheating with a guy he met at his gym. He was so in denial he actually said, and I think believed, "I was not gay until I came to America, and saw all the good looking gay men, America made me gay".

Granted he was an asshole, but my last lover for over a year was never out to his family, he even lied when he moved in with me. He was so afraid of being disowned, I think more of being disinherited. His straight Indian friends always said that most in India felt the same.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Nov 13, 2010 1:32:46 PM

7. i have two questions and they have already been alluded to. where in hinduism is there any proscription of same sex love? and, has it been established yet whether the film will be released as it was originally intended to be seen.

the actors are certainly appealing and it seems like a modest little film trying to be an honest if cautious depiction of same sex attraction and love.

i will be watching for it.

Posted by: jack | Nov 13, 2010 1:44:02 PM

8. I'm not supporting Bollywood anytime soon. While if think it's great to address gay reactions in Indian cinema, the huge shadeism problem doesn't fill me with joy.

Posted by: craig | Nov 13, 2010 2:01:31 PM

9. Bollywood's Brokeback? This review probably gets it more right:

I think Towleroad is great, but the problem when it reports on non-American stuff with no checking, just regurgitating the PR stuff sent out, is that it makes me doubt the quality of all the non-American reporting it does.

Bollywood has already made a decent stab at a big budget gay themed film and that's Dostana. It also, quite a while back, made a really good small art house film which is My Brother Nikhil. The most polite thing to be said about this is that its the equivalent of a number of gaysploitation films that Hollywood has churned out in the past, which are all now mercifully forgotten.

Posted by: Vikram | Nov 13, 2010 2:45:21 PM

10. @Patrick, I do find Indian guys sexy, but have also found all who I have met to be closeted and internalize homophobia, which makes sense since they go hand in hand.
    Best story was this guy who had been married, only had sex with men, and said of his ex-wife, "If she wasn't such a bitch I'd still be married to her." Didn't see the need to ditch the wife over his desire exclusively for cock, but because she was a bit naggy!
    I still sleep with guys from India, Bengal, and Pakistan, but would never become involved with another closet case for as long as I live!!!

Posted by: Bobo | Nov 13, 2010 2:45:45 PM

11. It would be nice if the guys going on about all Indian guys being closet cases take the trouble to visit India and check out the fast expanding gay scene in cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore and Chennai. Or for that matter go to gay parties like Sholay in NYC. All cultures have closet cases - here in India I've met my share of Americans who are married back home, but go for the guys when they're travelling abroad. Of course, I'm not judging American gay culture on the basis of these few, but all the other stuff happening, and perhaps guys here should consider stuff like that in India, starting with the decriminalisation of homosexuality in the Delhi High Court decision last year (and yes, that decision applies across the country).

Posted by: Vikram | Nov 13, 2010 2:52:59 PM

12. Vikram, you are spot on (both comments)! Thanks for representing!!

Posted by: shanesoho | Nov 13, 2010 4:20:24 PM

13. My ex was from Bombay..hottest dude ever..very cool, sweet..showed me a lot of cool bollywood flix..except when his mom would come visit us in queens, I was just his friend..but we would still sleep in the same bed 2gether..she never thought anything to my knowledge, he told me men sleep in the same bed all the time in India

Posted by: Raul | Nov 13, 2010 4:39:08 PM

14. @Vikram...I never stated ALL Indian men were closted, I stated that all the Indian men that I HAVE MET were in the closet. I don't feel that I was judging Indian culture by remarking about my own personal experiences. I would love to meet South Asian men who were out of the closet and interested in a serious relationship, I just haven't met any. I don't feel that since the report is about the difficulties with distribution of the film, harrassment of one of its stars, and the film being censored, that my comments on the attitudes of the Indian gay men I have met was out of place. And of course there are lots of American born men and woman who are in the closet...I don't think anyone is in doubt of that, and I'm not interested in having a relationship with them either.
    As for Sholay, are you recommending it because you have been? What I know of Sholay is that they organize parties, and it is not in one location on the same night. They don't publicize their events on the same scale as most gay events in the city, and the one that I went to was in an out of the way hotel that was in a picticular shady part of the city. The event I attended was not that well attended, and the price asked for admission, plus the costs of food and drink did not really equal out in terms of what I recieved, ie quality of venue and food & drink.
    And BTW homosexuality is not illegal in the states. When you say that homosexuality has been "decriminalized" in India, do you mean that the penalty is now less of a criminal charge or that there is no charge?
    Just wanted clarification, because in the states when we say something is decriminalized, we mean that the punishment is now less then it had been before, but it is still a crime that can be prosecuted.

Posted by: Bobo | Nov 13, 2010 4:43:07 PM

15. The BBC clip crashed my Firefox browser twice!

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Nov 13, 2010 4:51:27 PM

16. @Bobo - Oh, it's all legal now, trust me. Next step, marriage... Nepal may lead the way on that, hopefully.

Posted by: Marvin | Nov 13, 2010 4:55:35 PM

17. bobo: just check www.sholayevents.com. the internet is your friend :)

Posted by: R | Nov 13, 2010 5:05:04 PM

18. wake me up when "I love you Phillip Morris" is released in the US.

Posted by: suede | Nov 13, 2010 5:14:58 PM

19. It's supremely ironic that the Catholic establishment in India has been the most vocal in denouncing homosexuality as something foreign and un-Indian, and of trying to subvert 'Indian' culture. Christianity has been accused (wrongly, of course) of the same thing for years by hardline Hindus!

Posted by: Marvin | Nov 13, 2010 5:51:51 PM

20. @R Thanks! I'll have to check it out in the near future. The event I attended was about 5 or 6 years ago, and from the website it looks like things have changed.
    Thanks, again!
    @Marvin.. hypocrites...the catholic church are the ones who try to subvert everything...;)

Posted by: Bobo | Nov 13, 2010 6:06:38 PM

21. Hopefully they will act better then "fake Jake" did in BBM over here.

Posted by: TyInTenn | Nov 13, 2010 6:10:23 PM

22. bobo, you can dial it down; bollywood isn't controlled by the jews...you goddamn antisemite.

Posted by: TANK | Nov 13, 2010 6:38:25 PM

23. In reference to homosexuality in Indian culture, it appears that it was tolerated in the pre-Islamic period (the official punishment for it was loss of caste I believe) and during the early part of the Islamic period before it became more hard-line. The late Islamic period and the European colonization (particularly the Portuguese) started the incredibly anti-gay sentiment that developed in Indian culture. However, India has always been a country that acknowledged a 3rd gender.

Posted by: Krish | Nov 13, 2010 6:50:16 PM

24. Thanks for the sholay website, they got a party at Touch next Saturday..I'm so freakin there

Posted by: Raul | Nov 13, 2010 8:15:01 PM