Apple | Evangelical Christians | Religion

BigGayDeal.com

Apple Removes Anti-Gay App From Library

Remember The Manhattan Declaration, the anti-gay manifesto drafted just last year by Catholic, Christian and Protestant leaders? An excerpt from the homophobic document reads: "Because the sanctity of human life, the dignity of marriage as a union of husband and wife and the freedom of conscience and religion are foundational principles of justice and the common good, we are compelled by our Christian faith to speak and act in their defense."

Mandec Back in October, Apple approved an app called The Manhattan Declaration in which users were asked survey questions about same-sex marriage, abortion and gay relationships. The app was, of course, put out by those who issued the manifesto in 2009, so if your answers did not mesh with their own hateful points of view, you scored very low in the survey.  In their eyes, or in this case the "eyes" of the app, the only correct answers are the ones found in The Manhattan Declaration.

Change.org set up a petition to ask Apple to remove the app. Looks like it worked. Try searching for the app on iTunes today and you'll, thankfully, come up empty.

The Huffington Post reports that "the creators of the Manhattan Declaration responded to the 'radical liberals' with its own blog post, saying, 'These radicals often pollute the debate with ranting. They rant about 'equal rights,' without explaining how homosexuality deserves it, 'women's rights,' without explaining how women have a right to kill their child, and even 'hateful Christians,' without showing instances where we hate.'"

Comments

1. No more Kool-Aid for them.

Posted by: jeffg166 | Nov 27, 2010 8:47:28 AM

2. Really?

Steve may be back on my Christmas card list....

Posted by: protogenes | Nov 27, 2010 9:10:29 AM

3. >>"They rant about 'equal rights,' without explaining how homosexuality deserves it, 'women's rights,' without explaining how women have a right to kill their child, and even 'hateful Christians,' without showing instances where we hate.'"

Let me explain this for you. Because I'm a human being, that's why. I get the same rights as you do, regardless of who I'm attracted to. The constitutions real funny like that. You don't get special rights because your priest says you do. The constitution is also really funny like that. Get over it.

Because it's her body, too, not just the fetus. No, you're a white male, and you will never know what it was like to get raped and have to carry the child to birth, that's why. If you truly cared, you'd do something about adopting the millions that go unloved and uncared for in foster care. "Serving God" means more than carrying a bumper sticker on your SUV denouncing abortion, pal.

Hateful Christians. You don't see Buddhists paying millions to put constitutional amendments in place striping me of my rights, that's why. When you denounce Fred Phelps, when you stand against the screwed up clergy that rape kids, when you decry Christian groups that threaten to turn their backs on the homeless because God forbid they may be forced to abide by equal rights laws in their employment practices, they you might stop being labeled hateful.

It's not about us. It's about you. There's a reason the public is beginning to truly loathe you and your ignorance and your hate. Get a clue.

Posted by: Craig | Nov 27, 2010 9:11:17 AM

4. Does this mean I can no longer expect any updates?

Posted by: Suffern ACE | Nov 27, 2010 11:18:22 AM

5. Dear Craig,
    I love you.
    Keep shining!

Posted by: Jessica | Nov 27, 2010 11:34:03 AM

6. They want an instance of their ignorance and hate? How about the Salem Witch Hunts? That's one damn good instance.

Posted by: SONNIE | Nov 27, 2010 11:41:05 AM

7. I certainly did not need to go back 400 years to make my point, but I wanted to show that, with the same hate they had for their "OWN", they have branched out.

Posted by: SONNIE | Nov 27, 2010 12:07:32 PM

8. Homophobia? Yeah, there's an app for that. Not any longer, thank you.

Posted by: Tim | Nov 27, 2010 12:46:55 PM

9. I KNEW we could do this! I ranted like a mad man on Huffington Post and pushed everyone to sign the 'remove it' position at Change.Org and success is sweet.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Nov 27, 2010 12:59:52 PM

10. Let me add - I worked at Apple for four years, still retain my Apple Software Engineer certification and continue to work for the AppleCare service. I was livid with Apple for allowing this and emailed Jobs directly. Seriously, Apple is one of the most gay-friendly companies in the world but there are people within Apple who are no pro-gay. Jobs knows that and Apple has done the right thing. I am very pleased by their decision to remove the app. Apple and a great many of their employees stepped forth against Prop 8 and I believe if it ever comes to a CA vote again, it will die a big death. Despite its defeat I married my partner and today we are one of those 18,000 same-sex legally married couples in SF. We saw the opportunity and grabbed it. If it comes your way I encourage you and yours to make it legal.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Nov 27, 2010 1:10:25 PM

11. Everyone cheering at the "silencing" of these folks should remember that, without free speech rights -- even grossly violated free speech rights -- we would still be in the closet.

Posted by: BobN | Nov 27, 2010 2:23:23 PM

12. Nobody has abridged the free speech rights of these bigots. They're free to be bigoted ignorant twats everywhere else in the country, but not in the Apple Store, which is a **private** space, not a public one.

Posted by: Jacknasty | Nov 28, 2010 12:07:30 AM

13. "the creators of the Manhattan Declaration responded to the 'radical liberals' with its own blog post, saying, 'These radicals often pollute the debate with ranting. They rant about 'equal rights,' without explaining how homosexuality deserves it, 'women's rights,' without explaining how women have a right to kill their child, and even 'hateful Christians,' without showing instances where we hate.'"

Except, you know, we so totally and completely do and have, repeatedly, ad nauseum, backed by indisputable facts. So, y'know, there's that.Sa

Posted by: Penny Sautereau-Fife | Nov 28, 2010 3:23:58 AM

14. That pic. Isnt that just after hes discharged his lightening bolts and immediatly before being thrown into the inky black chasm of oblivion at the hand of lord Vader?...oh wait, my mistake.

And yes what Tank said... about...(????)...y'know...filosuffy
    -dayum clevers is sooo sexy.

Posted by: divkid | Nov 28, 2010 8:46:36 AM

15. SORRY. My last post is on the wrong damn thread. It was meant for HIS HOLYNESS Pope Palpatine. Now i'll nver get a chance to flirt with Tank.

Posted by: divkid | Nov 28, 2010 9:02:22 AM