News: Dan Choi, Gamma Rays, Cricket, Roy Lichtenstein, Subway

Road Aravosis rips HRC's 'phony advocacy'.

RoadJason Knight and Jeffrey Correa, discharged under DADT, are walking 45 miles today to raise awareness for repeal of the measure.

Gammas RoadMassive gamma ray bubbles found on either side of Milky Way: "At 50,000 light years tall together, they extend from the constellation Virgo to the constellation Grus and are among the largest such structures ever found."

RoadThis cricket has bigger balls than you do, proportionally.

RoadDan Choi's Veterans Day message.

RoadDancing with the Stars looking for same-sex couple. Carrie-Ann Inaba: "I would love it. I fully support that and I think America is ready for that. Our country is much more accepting of same sex couples and it would be great for the show to reflect that."

RoadGlee to provide funding for "job readiness" counselor at NYC's LGBT Harvey Milk School.

RoadamFar: Proposed GOP budget cuts will undercut U.S. response to domestic and global AIDS crisis. "The proposed cuts will have drastic, immediate consequences and will represent a 9.6% reduction in overall discretionary HIV/AIDS spending. Additionally, domestic cuts would likely seriously undermine the ability of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to implement the recently developed National HIV/AIDS Strategy—the first comprehensive domestic strategy designed to directly address the U.S. epidemic."

RoadHugh Jackman is one of those annoying people who dart around the city on a razor scooter.

Subway RoadRevealed: NYC's lost subway stop.

RoadDevelopmental psychologist says false premise behind the "It Gets Better" campaign.

RoadMississippi student sues school after being cut from football team for wearing pink cleats. The cleats were for breast cancer awareness, but the coach obviously wasn't happy with the color... UPDATE: he's back.

Road Win Joel Burns's boxers!

RoadNarwhals enlisted to collect climate data: "In all, 14 narwhals were strapped with thermometers and satellite transmitters for the study. Throughout the winter, the unusual tusked marine mammals gave the most comprehensive coverage of the bay ever recorded, occasionally even diving to depths as deep as 1,773 meters. The results were alarming."

RoadKellan Lutz is serious about his workouts.

Lichtenstein RoadRoy Lichtenstein work pulls in record $42.6 million at Christie's auction.

RoadShady: Eminem covers Rolling Stone.

RoadKanye's upset: Matt Lauer forced me to say what I did.

RoadWorld Bank to fund "ex-gay" group PFOX: ''The Bank is not endorsing this group, or any other group. Staff are free to give to the organization of their choice."

Dick van Dyke rescued by porpoises: "I went out once and fell asleep on (a surf) board. I did. And I woke up out of sight of land, and I looked around and I started paddling with the swells and I start seeing fins swimming around me, and I thought, 'I'm dead.' They turned out to be porpoises. They pushed me all the way to shore. I'm not kidding."

Comments

1. Andy, nice irony about Hugh Jackman.
    The man is stunning, very good looking, sings beautifuly, can act, both drama and action, has charisma and body to show, is faithful to his wife and spends time with his children. He is the perfect role model to gays and straights. I would love to meet and love man like him.
    Please some stunning pics of him some day soon....

Posted by: Matt26 | Nov 11, 2010 3:42:22 PM

2. Love your astronomy posts, Andy, keep 'em coming.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Nov 11, 2010 4:05:50 PM

3. I don't buy the premise behind the article by the development psychologist. He says, "I’m worried about the “message” we’re giving to gay youth." He argues that gay kids are as well adjusted as their straight peers and thinsk it's dangerous to tell them that, Hey things can be crappy, but you're not going to be in high school forever.

If gay kids are happy, fine---they don't need that message and aren't going to burrow into a miasma of misery because of it. The guy suggests there's a danger in reaching out to vulnerable kids, which is ridiculous.

As for the World Bank, the only criteria they seemed to use on their list of organizations eligible for matching donations was whether an organization had been recommended by a staff member and supported by four others. That's where they screwed up. Tons of fundamentalists (from everywhere from Congo to the Philippines) work at the Bank. It sounds like they're taking steps to avoid listing PFOX next year, and if they get enough bad press it wouldn't surprise me if they removed it this year. The Bank hates bad press (or, really, any press) more than most organizations.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 11, 2010 4:19:13 PM

4. The "It Gets Better" article is very interesting... While the media focus and the campaign are overall a good thing IMHO, it does create a false impression that ALL gay teens are suicidal. Also, I remember reading time and again how gay people are coming out younger because it's becoming easier and gays are facing less prejudice. So maybe the whole thing is just more complicated than any YouTube campaign or CNN clip can explain. I would say the "face" of gay teen America includes several bullied kids but also many who are happy and well adjusted.

Posted by: Chris | Nov 11, 2010 4:26:45 PM

5. There is nothing that Hugh Jackman can do that would annoy me.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Nov 11, 2010 5:27:14 PM

6. Honestly, I don't see much of a problem with the it gets better project. Even if most gay teens are well adjusted (and this guy is obviously talking about the out ones, which if your out as a 15 year old then you probably are pretty well adjusted) the project still needs to be done.

It's about reaching out to the ones who are suicidal, even if they are a minority and letting them know that they deserve to live and that they shouldn't kill themselves.

Further, it gets out into the masses a lot of positive stories about gay people living mostly happy lives as adults - something that is very important in debunking the christianist myth that being gay leads to unhappiness and death.

Posted by: Joe | Nov 11, 2010 5:53:38 PM

7. Aravosis is an asshole. After defending him on his site for years I had the audacity to call out Joe Sudsby for his ass kissing interview with Obama. Aravosis got pissy and banned me from commenting.

And as for America being ready for a same-sex couple on Dancing with the Stars, REALLY? You have a gay dance instructor/partner on the show who went absolutely ape shit, pissed off that Margaret Cho wore a "Rainbow" dress, and called it a rainbow dress and dedicated their dance to bullied gay kids. He ranted and raved that it was NOT a rainbow dress and that they weren't dedicating the dance to bullied GAY kids because all kinds of kids are bullied. This, in the weeks following the rash of gay kids committing suicide. That guy was a total ass. If the audience is as gay supportive as this asshole gay dancer, then the show is certainly not ready for a same-sex couple.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Nov 11, 2010 6:17:36 PM

8. Well, you know Savin-Williams is right about the theory but wrong about the rhetoric. He apparently understands adolescence well, and what he's saying is a good reminder, but I don't think he understands ad campaigns or who they target, which is a little troubling. And the real actual content of the ads rarely actually perpetuates any negative images.

Posted by: coolbearinmd | Nov 11, 2010 7:25:45 PM

9. Speaking of Roy Lichtenstein,anyone noticed that he has an actor son Mitchell Lichtenstein who played quite a few gay roles in movies like Streamers, The Wedding banquets and Flawless.

Posted by: simon | Nov 11, 2010 9:34:09 PM

10. I don't know how many of your readers have ever read THE STRAIN or THE FALL, by Guillermo Del Toro & Chuck Hogan - 2 of the CREEPIEST books I've read in years. I'm in the middle of THE FALL and while I would normally find those subway pictures beautifully cool, tonight they terrify me. That subway stop is discussed in the book except in the story its dark. No electricity and the characters in the story are hunting, and being hunted by blood thirsty vampires. And no, these aren't pretty, sexy, sensitive vampires. These are horrible creatures that go for the throat and kill indiscriminately. Very scarey stuff.
    Your timing with that little tidbit couldn't have been better if we had planned it. Thanks!

Posted by: Scot | Nov 12, 2010 3:15:52 AM