Barack Obama | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Military | News

Gibbs: Obama Has Not Yet Seen Pentagon's DADT Report, Nor Spoken with Service Chiefs

Dadt

At today's press briefing, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs addressed questions on 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' and activity during the lame duck session.

Video, AFTER THE JUMP....

Here's a bit of the transcript:

Q    Robert, back on "don't ask, don't tell," the service chief of the Navy recently praised the Pentagon report and said he's eager to see what happens with the Hill regarding repeal.  But the remaining three service chiefs, they're all on the record as saying they want to wait for the report to come out before Congress takes action.  Does the President anticipate that once the report comes out, those service chiefs will be on board in favor of repeal?

MR. GIBBS:  I don't -- I think the service chiefs, as I understand it, are meeting with the Chair of the Joint Chiefs and with the Secretary as we get closer to this report coming out in order to discuss where they are based on that survey.  The President has not yet seen that survey so I don't want to presume whether, based on those results, that would change their opinion or not.  And I think it's best not to get too far down the road on commenting on that until we get a chance to personally see the substance.

Q    Wasn't that the purpose of the study, though?  You've said the President has been for repeal since you've known him and the President has said he wants to work with military leaders.  In the State of the Union address, he said he wants to work with military leaders to get them on board with repeal.  So what's the point of this report if not to get those service chiefs on board?

MR. GIBBS:  Well, I'm not saying that it won't.  I'm just saying -- I think the original question you asked me is would that report change their mind.  I haven't seen the report.  The President hasn't seen that report.  And neither of us have had an opportunity to talk with the chiefs.  That's not to say that it won't.  That's not to say that -- and quite frankly, that's not to say whether or not, whether you have unanimous agreement or not, that the policy -- look, the President has known where people have stood on this policy for as long as he's supporting changing that policy.  So I think it will be important to, again, view the attitudes, to view -- and to use those attitudes to craft a pathway to implementing a changed legislatively policy.  That's what the President has advocated through this process.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(clip via the wonk room)

Comments

1. Who give a flying fuck whether the service chiefs are onboard. They get an order, say "yes sir" and do what they're told to do by the CIC. It's the old saying, "if the military wants your opinion, it will assign you one."

Posted by: BobC562 | Nov 22, 2010 8:06:52 PM

2. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs: Mr President, here's the DADT report.

President Bam: Ah, yeahhh...fellas, just leave it in my in-box. I don't have time for this DTD crap, or whatever it's called, at the moment. The homos....I mean gays...will just have to wait and whatever. I'll take a gander in the new year.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 22, 2010 8:08:50 PM

3. THere is nothing solid from Gibbs here. "and to use those attitudes to craft a pathway to implementing a changed legislatively policy"

Really? Seriously? Why not just say it's what you want and do it? Maybe they are hopiing we will somehow forget we are gay and want the right to serve our country honorably without hiding our left handedness.

anyone here still want Obama in '12?

Posted by: ted | Nov 22, 2010 8:11:46 PM

4. We all mistook Barack Obama for somebody who gives a shit.

Posted by: Roscoe | Nov 22, 2010 8:32:51 PM

5. "anyone here still want Obama in '12?"

All depends on who the choices are, Ted, and what does and doesn't get done between now and 2012. We all know where we'd be if McCain were President now. If only everyone focused more on problem-solving than on election politics.

DADT is on its way out. If the administration is smart, they'll stop this convoluted dillydallying, get it done, and score a few political points with their base, including a majority of gay people. If they're stupid--as ever-inarticulate Gibbs is here; I wish to god someone would get him out of that job!--they'll continue torturing the issue while others grab the ball and run with it.

Anyone who's in a state where they have waffling Senators (particularly the partial handful of Repub's who may side with us--not McCain, clearly) should be lobbying them because they'll be the ones voting, not Obama. I don't have much faith in the administration at the moment, but I do have faith in my Senators.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 22, 2010 9:07:22 PM

6. Demand your rights and call yours senators, but don't just sit here and moan about how Barack Obama doesn't care about you.

Posted by: RDRCK | Nov 22, 2010 9:41:40 PM

7. Obama 2012

More promises not kept. Yes we can.

Posted by: Roger | Nov 22, 2010 11:40:28 PM

8. How many votes lost?.... Why should i care if all I hear are false promises....

Posted by: John Normile | Nov 23, 2010 12:04:13 AM

9. what a slimy toad squirming under the hot lights. To quote Lily Allen - 'Fuck you very much'

Posted by: grego | Nov 23, 2010 1:10:13 AM

10. I'm not sure that he is saying the President hasn't spoken with the joint chiefs on repealing DADT. Rather, I just think he means they haven't spoken about the study yet. I do think Obama has a strategy for repeal and I am confident it will happen. Oh, and "yes", I still support him!

Posted by: J.P. | Nov 23, 2010 3:33:27 AM

11. SO. If DADT does get fully repealed before Obama's term is up then what happens? Do you guys just say "Bitch, you didn't do anything"?

And if he gets reelected and DADT is fully repealed then?

Just wondering.

Posted by: Fenrox | Nov 23, 2010 9:28:09 AM

12. Not that I'm an Obama apologist, but so what if the President hasn't read the report? They never read the report. Aides do that.

Obama is not driving this bus anyway. The Pentagon is. They're making it a priority because they want to make the LCR lawsuit moot. DADT is the easy one for him because the Joint Chiefs are doing the heavy lifting. On DOMA and ENDA, the fierce advocate is still nowhere to be found.

Posted by: justiceontherocks | Nov 23, 2010 9:38:55 AM

13. Dangle a carrot... The mule will follow...Fuck this.... Please Step up Mr. President.... Misplaced documents? unread briefs?, Please give us some respect!............Rememeber "HOPE"

Posted by: John Normile | Nov 23, 2010 9:59:07 AM