Johnny Depp | News | Playing Gay

Johnny Depp: Jack Sparrow is Gay, as are All My Characters

Depp

In a new profile in Vanity Fair, Johnny Depp discusses Disney's dislike of his Pirates of the Caribbean character Jack Sparrow.

The studio questioned him about the character's sexuality, and he responded by telling them that all the characters he plays are gay:

“They couldn’t stand him. They just couldn’t stand him,” Depp says of Disney’s reaction to his controversial interpretation of Sparrow. “I think it was Michael Eisner, the head of Disney at the time, who was quoted as saying, ‘He’s ruining the movie.’ Depp reveals to Smith, however, that he remained unfazed by the studio’s hysteria. “Upper-echelon Disney-ites, going, What’s wrong with him? Is he, you know, like some kind of weird simpleton? Is he drunk? By the way, is he gay?… And so I actually told this woman who was the Disney-ite… ‘But didn’t you know that all my characters are gay?’ Which really made her nervous.”

Comments

1. He's clearly being sarcastic.

Posted by: BC | Nov 30, 2010 9:48:59 AM

2. Haha! LOVE IT. Hate all the pirates movies... Hmm I guess I hate all of his work sans sissorhands.

Posted by: Fenrox | Nov 30, 2010 9:50:12 AM

3. Is this supposed to make us feel good? It's nice that he's screwing with executives, but it doesn't seem exactly positive. Most of his characters have romantic relationships with females. Is he saying weird equals gay? This just seems like a really idiotic pr move.

Posted by: Dan | Nov 30, 2010 9:51:20 AM

4. Dan- He's obviously being sarcastic. It was his way of telling the Disney exec to fuck off.

Posted by: Dave | Nov 30, 2010 10:00:41 AM

5. Isn't it interesting how actors often make 'controversial' statements right when one of their movies is about to be released.

Posted by: Jackson | Nov 30, 2010 10:03:13 AM

6. I think he means flamboyant, but he's not being disingenuous. He's clearly never chosen roles by how the characters may reflect upon him, and that's why he's so great. He's just being silly by saying they're all gay.

Posted by: Gregoireire | Nov 30, 2010 10:03:41 AM

7. @Dan

No, he's throwing it back in the bigot's faces and saying "so what if they WERE gay. Get over it." Considering that Depp loves the weird, if he WERE saying "weird equals gay," then from Depp that would be a compliment.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Nov 30, 2010 10:04:34 AM

8. I love ALL of the Pirates movies! And I think an overwhelming majority of the viewing public love the Jack Sparrow character, which says a lot for letting an artist do his art and STFU!

Posted by: Michael W. | Nov 30, 2010 10:05:38 AM

9. Intelligence, wit, talent, and sex on a stick. Love Johnny to pieces.

Posted by: rascal | Nov 30, 2010 10:22:11 AM

10. The man moves to the beat of his own drum. Johnny Depp rocks!

Posted by: ichabod | Nov 30, 2010 11:08:02 AM

11. Gilbert Grape wasn't gay. His little brother might have been.

Posted by: Soren456 | Nov 30, 2010 11:20:04 AM

12. Johnny D just gets better & better...

He was playing w/ them; exploiting their own fear about a 'gay' character about to be marketed worldwide to kids... he's pushing Disney's buttons b/c of their own corporate/creative homophobia.

Get a clue, ya buncha homos! lol

Posted by: pete | Nov 30, 2010 11:20:56 AM

13. Gee, is he suggesting The Mad Hatter was gay ?

I'm considering things beginning with the letter G.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Nov 30, 2010 11:31:15 AM

14. As usual JD is his own man...& who would want it any other way?
    Imagine a different spin to Jack Sparrow-would it have been as successful?The movies had a campness about them & JD just took it up a notch or two.You just have to look at old Errol Flynn movies & they had a similiar style to them.One of his most inspiring roles after Edward Scissorhands.And what a shame that never got the sequel it deserved.And then theres Ed Wood....

Posted by: John | Nov 30, 2010 11:44:42 AM

15. One of the greatest actors. The man can play anything. I'm surprised at how many people here missed the sarcasm of Depp's remarks to the Disney execs.

Posted by: mikej | Nov 30, 2010 12:28:53 PM

16. His Willy Wonka certainly was queer! ;-)

Posted by: JSH | Nov 30, 2010 12:39:31 PM

17. I wish I had a dime for every gay employee who works at Disney. I can't figure out why they don't just launch a coup and take over from within already!

Posted by: johnny | Nov 30, 2010 12:46:32 PM

18. I can just hear him say it, earnestly. And I can see the Disney-ite gasp and run from the room.

About Willy Wonka, yes; Willy Wonka by way of Michael Jackson.

Posted by: Soren456 | Nov 30, 2010 12:50:42 PM

19. If folks were wondering whether Johnny Depp ever actually played a gay character or not onscreen, the answer is "Yes," in "Before Night Falls," with Javier Bardem. He's only got 5 or 10 minutes of screen time, but you won't forget them. :)

Posted by: Dback | Nov 30, 2010 1:12:18 PM

20. This conversation happened more or less as JD describes it. I was there as it unfolded. I'm not sure who the woman was that he describes, but if it is the president at the time, she actually defended him.

Posted by: MDE | Nov 30, 2010 1:48:06 PM

21. I'd say that Jack Sparrow would be an anything goes kind of guy, regarding his sexuality. As long as there was a little rum involved.

Posted by: Wilkby | Nov 30, 2010 2:04:20 PM

22. Johnny Depp's gayness made the whole movie. I doubt it would have been as big of a hit as it was without him. Besides, his eccentric performance and the guyliner got him an Oscar nomination.

Posted by: sysm29 | Nov 30, 2010 2:31:06 PM

23. What about Don Juan DeMarco?

Posted by: AidenRaccoon | Nov 30, 2010 2:58:47 PM

24. I wonder why they would care about his Pirates character being gay if so many of their cartoon villains resort to gay stereotypes (effeminate like Jafar and Scar) to make them seem more evil.

Posted by: Bart | Nov 30, 2010 3:16:30 PM

25. The thread title is a bit "tabloidy." He was obviously being sarcastic to erk the Disney execs.

Posted by: Grant | Nov 30, 2010 4:03:45 PM