Marie Osmond | News | Oprah

BigGayDeal.com

Marie Osmond to Oprah: 'My Son Was Not Gay'

Osmond

Marie Osmond appears on Oprah today to discuss the suicide of her son, Michael Blosil, and she addresses speculation that arose after his death about whether he killed himself over his sexuality, ABC News reports.

Says Osmond: "My son was not gay. He wanted to be married and have a family and travel all over the world. And it wouldn't matter if he was. I have a daughter who is gay, and it was my daughter who was offended by it, like, 'What? All gay kids commit suicide?' She really wanted it cleared up."

Watch an excerpt from the show (not addressing the sexuality issue), AFTER THE JUMP...

Previously...
Marie Osmond on Gay Rights and Her Lesbian Daughter [tr]

Comments

1. The Mormons have a fucked up view of homosexuality. Unless Marie completely distances herself from their views, she is still part of the problem.

Posted by: Bobby | Nov 11, 2010 1:17:46 PM

2. Marie, I am sorry for your loss. It is devastating but you need to be reminded that just because someone is gay doesn't mean that they don't want to get married, and have a family. Many gays and lesbians want just that. Those desires are not exclusive to heterosexuals.

Posted by: Nick | Nov 11, 2010 1:20:29 PM

3. I've always liked Marie. Her face looks so sad and broken in the photo above. I hope she will be okay.

Posted by: james Brown | Nov 11, 2010 1:20:31 PM

4. Part of me really really wants to believe she means well, but the whole Mormon thing sort of ruins that...

Posted by: Leo | Nov 11, 2010 1:34:03 PM

5. Marie Osmond is a really decent person.
    So she was raised Mormon? So what. Her daughter is lesbian, she completely accepts her and voted No on Prop 8.

What do you want her to do? Kiss your ass?

Posted by: Jonathan | Nov 11, 2010 1:40:56 PM

6. I was raised mormon in Utah. I wanted a family, to be married and to travel the world too. I can still have those things, but I didn't realize that until later. As a struggling mormon youth, I felt that if I came out, I couldn't have those things. I would be forfeiting those "eternal blessings" in this life and the next.

The church testifies and teaches that families are eternal and marriage is one of the most sacred acts we can do on this earth. And that's not just preached over the pulpit on Sunday. It's in Seminary, Family Home Evenings, and other extracurricular church activities almost every other day. Maybe he wasn't gay, but I can definitely empathize with him if he was. I don't think Marie can be 100% certain he wasn't. I came out when I was 27 and parents/friends were shocked. They had no inkling while I was in High School or College.

As a mormon, you learn to play the parts and hide it well.

Posted by: Brig | Nov 11, 2010 1:59:19 PM

7. "My son wasn't gay."

And the proof is that he wanted to get married and have a family.

Since when, Marie, are those two statements incompatible?

You have a gay daughter. By extension of your logic, she doesn't want to marry or to have a family. Right, Marie?

Posted by: Soren456 | Nov 11, 2010 2:08:06 PM

8. This crazy mormon bitch looks like a drag queen. I wonder what she dressed up as for halloween...are is that forbidden due to a scheduling conflict with a touching ceremony/party?

Posted by: TANK | Nov 11, 2010 2:16:55 PM

9. I'm sorry for her loss, but.."My son was not gay. He wanted to be married and have a family and travel all over the world."...that statement kinda bugs me.

Posted by: Thomas | Nov 11, 2010 2:19:01 PM

10. She should rent Latter Days, a great tale of how the morons can screw up the heads of gay kids. I don't hate her and wish her well, I can not say the same about her religion. If you buy into the whole magic underwear crap of a con man who was killed by his own followers that he coned.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Nov 11, 2010 2:28:24 PM

11. This may be a little horrible, but how many straight, fashion manufacturing majors do you know?

Posted by: Chris | Nov 11, 2010 2:38:43 PM

12. Mormon mothers CANNOT be trusted when it comes to discussing their feelings about having a gay son.

I can't trust my Mormon mother despite how much I'd like to, and I haven't met any other gay Mormon who feels they can trust theirs either.

The religion is so very invasive that it is impossible to have a direct line to a parent's heart without the religion. It's a three-way relationship: parent-child-religion. I've never been able to connect with my Mormon parents without the religion dictating each of their words and actions.

Posted by: Uluwehi | Nov 11, 2010 2:43:03 PM

13. I'm sure Marie Osmond is a very nice person. My sympathies to her over the death of her son by suicide.

But, if he was not gay (and it shouldn't matter; suicide is terrible regardless), why not consider another reason to commit suicide: the Mormon religion?

Any gay or lesbian person I know who has grown up in a Mormon family can tell you that the pressure to conform and the condemnation imposed if one is gay or lesbian is almost insufferable.

Whether or not Mormonism is a "christian" religion is debatable. But, it IS harmful like most "christianity" is harmful. Christianity in any form (along with its other familiars, Judaism and Islam) is a spiritual and mental poison.

Posted by: mike | Nov 11, 2010 2:45:52 PM

14. Maybe he committed suicide because he suffered from clinical depression. My atheist brother committed suicide. He was diagnosed bipolar 8 years ago.Thousands of non gay, non bullied, agnostics and atheists kill themselves.

Posted by: Kim | Nov 11, 2010 3:01:41 PM

15. she is in major denial

Posted by: p | Nov 11, 2010 3:02:13 PM

16. What is not in question, however, is that Marie has waaaaaaaaaaaaayy too much Juvederm in those lips.

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 11, 2010 3:41:24 PM

17. I don't think she's homophobic or in denial. I don't think she's that devout, either. She is twice-divorced after all. I feel for her.

Meanwhile, I'm NOT loving whatever she's injected into her lips.

Posted by: J | Nov 11, 2010 3:45:07 PM

18. Damn ass shame. Nice looking dude.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 11, 2010 4:01:41 PM

19. Leave it to the dumb ass RATBASTARD to keep it classy.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Nov 11, 2010 4:16:27 PM

20. Marie is a dumb bitch.

Posted by: Anne | Nov 11, 2010 4:17:29 PM

21. It is disheartning how crass & souless some human beings are.She was born into the mormon church & her life is what it is.She is obviously devestated by the loss & loved him very much & would i am sure admit his sexuality if she was sure that this was why he ended his life.Sometimes in life it all just seems too much & for whatever reason he chose to end his,he has left a family distraught.She is lucky she has a loving family to support her & vice versa.As for some of you horrible twats who think you rule the world,get off the high horse & show a little compassion.

Posted by: john | Nov 11, 2010 4:22:09 PM

22. Patrick;

He was indeed an attractive [IMO] guy, and it is indeed a shame he killed himself. HOW is this uncouth?

And is everyone who disagrees with you a 'dumb-ass'?

Ann:

WTF is it to you? Why would you ridicule and mock a person whose son died, from suicide no less? Does it make you feel good about yourself?

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 11, 2010 4:48:48 PM

23. Let's show some compassion for this still grieving mother.

Posted by: jaragon | Nov 11, 2010 5:45:33 PM

24. The only person who can say if you're gay or not is you. Just like the only person who can say you're in love is you. I'm sad she los her son, but she doesn't knwo for sure.

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Nov 11, 2010 7:10:41 PM

25. Marie is clearly a loving mother with a good heart.
    She seems to try to be as open as she knows how to be toward gay people (including her own gay daughter). But she can't have avoided some of the misunderstanding her church promotes, and that comes out in the way she expresses herself here.
    Plenty of young gay people want to get married and have a family and/or travel the world. Being gay does not imply a lesser desire for any or all of those things.
    And to illustrate how much her son "liked women," she tells the audience how he looked out for women he knows and tried to convince them not to settle for less than they deserve. Again, plenty of gay men "like women" and would say the same types of things to the women in their lives.
    He may well have been heterosexual, but none of what she said suggests one way or another about that.
    The points being made in blogs were not that "all gay kids commit suicide" but that SOME gay kids grow up in churches that make official policy statements and sanction actions that belittle and essentially bully them.
    When someone growing up in that atmosphere commits suicide, hopelessness around their future and fear of coming out is always one of the possibilities.

I have to cut Marie some slack though. I know gay Mormons who could only wish they had a parent who tries to love and understand to the degree that she tries to do so.

Posted by: GregV | Nov 11, 2010 7:15:49 PM