Barack Obama | Barbara Walters | News | Sarah Palin

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Sarah Palin Tells Barbara Walters She's Considering Presidential Run and Believes She Can Beat Obama

Palin

Sarah Palin tells Barbara Walters in a Nightline interview (airing December 9 — they're already teasing it) that she's considering a Presidential run.

Says Palin: ""I'm looking at the lay of the land now, and ... trying to figure that out, if it's a good thing for the country, for the discourse, for my family, if it's a good thing."

Asked if she could beat Obama: "I believe so."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

In related news, Bristol Palin "sort of" apologized for her sister Willow's use of the word "faggot" on Facebook. Willow has deleted her account.

Comments

1. It begins.

Posted by: Austin | Nov 17, 2010 6:32:23 PM

2. If she is nominated, Obama wins. This is as certain as the tidal cycle. The republican machinery knows this, and thus she won't be nominated.

Posted by: TANK | Nov 17, 2010 6:39:27 PM

3. isn't she oddly confident. something's up.

Posted by: Kevin | Nov 17, 2010 6:42:51 PM

4. Go back and finish your first job, you twit.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Nov 17, 2010 6:46:04 PM

5. Tank - You're correct. But I think Palin's ego is so huge right now, she might bolt the GOP and run as an independent aka "Tea Party" candidate.

Posted by: Tralfaz | Nov 17, 2010 6:48:03 PM

6. If she wins we will default on the mortgage and move back to Europe.

Posted by: Martin FLL | Nov 17, 2010 6:50:25 PM

7. And that would be the best thing that could possibly happen to Obama's reelection chances. However, there's a threat that the democratic party may split, too, and we could have a third party candidate syphoning the progressive vote from Obama. Either way, it doesn't matter to me...substantive movement on gay rights don't occur under either banner.

Posted by: TANK | Nov 17, 2010 6:54:09 PM

8. I don't think a third party is likely. There's no one on the horizon capable of inspiring so much as minimal interest among voters.

Lisa Murkowski's write-in win was a HUGE attack on Palin and everything she stands for. I want tosee the bitch destroyed.

And her whole ugly family too.

Non-stop public humiliation.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Nov 17, 2010 6:58:19 PM

9. Bad news: Sarah Palin campaigning for the next 23 months.

Good news: Sarah Palin campaigning for the next 23 months.

Still, I may have to find a deserted island somewhere just to get away from it all.

Posted by: BobN | Nov 17, 2010 6:59:11 PM

10. Where is she going to find someone more brain dead than her to be her running mate? Maybe she knows how to reanimate Terri Schiavo?

Too soon?

Posted by: David in Houston | Nov 17, 2010 7:03:58 PM

11. what? She wants to be President from Jan 20, 2013 until July 4, 2014?

Posted by: pParkerT | Nov 17, 2010 7:06:09 PM

12. I'm mostly just shocked she knows the word "discourse."

Posted by: TomSkylark | Nov 17, 2010 7:17:04 PM

13. Too bad they already taped the interview. Would have been nice to watch Barbara ask her about Willow's language.

[Mind you, stuff like that is pretty childish and doesn't belong in a serious interview, but we're talking Barbara Walters here, so I'm sure she would have gone there.]

Posted by: BobN | Nov 17, 2010 7:20:11 PM

14. Palin's politics is not that different from the other potential Republican candidates for 2012 -- it is her style and goofiness that turns people off. Her anti-intellectualism mirrors W's, so that's not an ultimate barrier. The danger is that someone will beat her in the primaries, and people will be sold by the media that that person is a "moderate" simply because he beat her.

Posted by: Philo | Nov 17, 2010 7:23:12 PM

15. RUN, SARAH, RUN. Barack won't have to measure the drapes.....

Posted by: Chris | Nov 17, 2010 7:23:32 PM

16. Y'all just can't get enough of the Palins. Honestly, she just doesn't bother me. Sorry.

Posted by: Max | Nov 17, 2010 7:33:04 PM

17. I'd give my dog better chances of winning the presidency. At least my dog is intelligent and likable.

Anyway, others are right. Forces inside the GOP will block this from happening. And third party candidates have a very poor history in American politics. Though maybe it would shut her up---we certainly haven't heard much from John Anderson, Ross Perot, or Ralph Nader in recent years have we?

Ugh, I still get pissed off every time I think about Nader.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 17, 2010 7:39:32 PM

18. Funny how opposites attract, paul. That is, you and your dog.

And max, you were going for, "She jus don't bother me much! Hurrrdurrrrr....".

Posted by: TANK | Nov 17, 2010 7:42:34 PM

19. Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Rock on!!!

Posted by: RDUB | Nov 17, 2010 7:47:47 PM

20. Oh My God. 2012. You already sound horrible.

Posted by: zac | Nov 17, 2010 8:07:15 PM

21. @Paul R, she is as narcissistic and delusional as Nader is. whatever happened to that jack ass, i wonder.

Posted by: nic | Nov 17, 2010 8:11:15 PM

22. Would you say "I'm looking at the lay of the land now" while face-to-face with Barbara Walters?

Freudian slip or subtle seduction? I didn't know Babs was such a firecracker in the sack, but you learn something new every day.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Nov 17, 2010 8:58:41 PM

23. I was ready to say that she is way too confident to say something like that. However, then I relized this country elected her male equivalent twice (George W. Bush). However, I really think it will be about how the economy is in 2012. If the economy sucks, many Republicans could possibly beat Obama. However, I think the economy will be better than it is now and I think Obama can win again.

Posted by: James | Nov 17, 2010 9:03:37 PM

24. BITCH PLEASE!!!! the day you win I'll move to Juarez Mexico and run the risk of being being shot at at the grocery store by a drug dealer than to live in the fucked up democracy that would elect you!!!!

Posted by: ventura | Nov 17, 2010 10:26:01 PM

25. If she runs, the GOP may not be able to stop her from winning the primary. People have to remember how the primary cycle works. If you're a Republican, and you win Iowa (the first state) and then South Carolina (the third), you're pretty damn impossible to beat. Who wants to take a bet that, no matter what the GOP did, she wouldn't win those two states in a heart beat?

So, I agree that she's toast in a general -- I even think she'd be so toxic and be such a boon to get out the vote on the left that she'd take down the majorities in the House and what will otherwise become the Republican Senate in 2012 (there's really no other way for Republicans to lose the Senate in 2012... there's just too many Democratic Senators up for reelection). But the great thing about it is, electorally, the GOP may not be able to stop her from winning their party's primary. The *only* thing that can stop her is $$$ and fame... she'd have to get some kind of a really sweet offer to decide not to run, because I don't think she gives a damn about the Republican Party and what she'd do to the party on the top of its ticket.

So I'm officially on the Run, Sarah, Run bandwagon...

Posted by: Ryan | Nov 17, 2010 10:29:04 PM