Books | News | Robert Mapplethorpe

Patti Smith Wins National Book Award for Mapplethorpe Memoir

Justkids

The National Book Awards were handed out last night at Cipriani in NYC. Among the winners was Patti Smith's memoir about the late photographer Robert Mapplethorpe.

Here are the other winners:

Fiction: "Lord of Misrule," by Jaimy Gordon
Nonfiction: "Just Kids," by Patti Smith
Poetry: "Lighthead," by Terrance Hayes
Young people's literature: "Mockingbird," by Kathryn Erskine
Lifetime achievement award: Tom Wolfe

A list of finalists can be found here.

Comments

1. Patti Smith is an amazing artist and Just Kids is a great read. A well-deserved award!

Posted by: Jack M | Nov 18, 2010 9:20:17 AM

2. This is indeed the best book of the past year (fiction included)... A must-read. Brava!

Posted by: Feral | Nov 18, 2010 9:41:49 AM

3. I'll join the small chorus, this book was amazing.

Posted by: jersey | Nov 18, 2010 10:45:11 AM

4. I'll add a voice to the chorus: "Just Kids" is a wonderful book, and I am so glad that Patti Smith was honored. My partner received an invitation to attend last night's ceremonies (the lucky bastard), and he was seated at the table next to Smith and company. Her acceptance speach was full of emotion and tears, and she said that there was nothing more beautiful in the material world than books. I would have loved to be there among the crowd, who heartedly agreed with her.

Posted by: MichaelJ | Nov 18, 2010 11:19:24 AM

5. patti smith is the real deal. i had the pleasure of meeting her a few months ago and she called me "kid," which to me is a great honor (ha).

in case any of you are interested, you can listen to a super powerful reading from just kids here: http://www.kqed.org/arts/programs/writersblock/episode.jsp?essid=27641

Posted by: emmanuel | Nov 18, 2010 11:55:26 AM

6. For good measure, I'll vouch for another winner: Terrance Hayes is flipping great. Incredibly well-deserved!

Posted by: AdamA | Nov 18, 2010 1:13:49 PM

7. If you are a fan, check out the DVD "Dream of Life", where a filmmaker followed her for 11 years (our local library had it). It has quiet, beautiful moments with her family and children, as well as her spitting out poetry and songs in ways only she can pull off.

"Remember, YOU are mortal, poetry is NOT".

Posted by: Queer Equality Revolution | Nov 18, 2010 1:47:08 PM