News | Sarah Palin | Television

Sarah Palin's 'Refudiate' Added to New Oxford American Dictionary, Declared 'Word of the Year'

Palin

Remember when Sarah Palin used the word "refudiate" and then compared herself to Shakespeare?

The Oxford American Dictionary says that "refudiate" has not only been officially added to the dictionary, but they have declared it "word of the year."

Palintweetrefudiateverb used loosely to mean "reject": she called on them to refudiate the proposal to build a mosque.
[origin -- blend of refuteand repudiate]

They write:

From a strictly lexical interpretation of the different contexts in which Palin has used 'refudiate,' we have concluded that neither 'refute' nor 'repudiate' seems consistently precise, and that 'refudiate' more or less stands on its own, suggesting a general sense of 'reject.'

Although Palin is likely to be forever branded with the coinage of “refudiate,” she is by no means the first person to speak or write it—just as Warren G. Harding was not the first to use the word normalcy when he ran his 1920 presidential campaign under the slogan “A return to normalcy.” But Harding was a political celebrity, as Palin is now, and his critics spared no ridicule for his supposedly ignorant mangling of the correct word “normality.”

Also, Palin's TLC show Sarah Palin's Alaska was the most-watched debut in the network's history, bringing in 4.96 million viewers.

Comments

1. Oh, please.

Now it's with the repition of usage that this actually gets into Webster's or the OED.

Remind me never to use the New Oxford Dictionary when playing Scrabble.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Nov 15, 2010 4:43:05 PM

2. that's "repetition"

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Nov 15, 2010 4:45:04 PM

3. I hope a grizzly eats her

Posted by: TripPsyc | Nov 15, 2010 4:51:10 PM

4. refudiate: to radiate refusal

Posted by: BobN | Nov 15, 2010 4:51:59 PM

5. What. The. Hell. Great... excellent... now we have scholars rewarding Palin and others like her for having the intellectual capacity of a cat box.

And why are people watching her show?! (They must be the same ones watching "Two and a Half Men".) Again, we are rewarding people for things they should not be rewarded for and sending the message that bigoted comments and narrow mindedness (and in the case of Charlie Sheen, wife beating) is acceptable. I am totally disgusted right now.

Posted by: Bryant | Nov 15, 2010 4:52:10 PM

6. This Deification of the Idiotic is going too far. When being stupid is seen as heroic, there is no hope for the thoughtful.

We are doomed.

Posted by: TC | Nov 15, 2010 4:52:51 PM

7. ugh. Embracing the stupid is never the right answer.

Posted by: wtf | Nov 15, 2010 4:53:17 PM

8. This will only serve to reinforce her belief that she can create reality merely with her words and the force of her image. I hate her so much I can taste it.

Posted by: pete | Nov 15, 2010 5:00:09 PM

9. Actually, according to the Blog Editor at Oxford University Press Inc, 'refudiate' has NOT been actually added to any of their dictionaries. See: https://twitter.com/#!/OUPblogUSA

Posted by: whygreenberg | Nov 15, 2010 5:00:36 PM

10. Hiya Kev!

Refudiate = a conflation of refute and repudiate, ignoring their incompatible meanings. Mis-used in place of real words that mean 'repudiate', 'reject', or possibly sometimes 'refute'.

Posted by: M | Nov 15, 2010 5:01:02 PM

11. I'm SO sick of that idiotic woman and the media's irritating fascination with her. Somebody needs to have an Oxford Dictionary book burning now.

Posted by: Ray | Nov 15, 2010 5:01:30 PM

12. It's official, Stupid is now the official language of the United States. Please, everyone make up words, talk gibberish, sound like a f*cking buffoon.

I'm so proud to be an American.

Posted by: BartB | Nov 15, 2010 5:09:11 PM

13. The moronification of America continues.

Posted by: ggreen | Nov 15, 2010 5:15:14 PM

14. have a new one. Stupidumbitch = any right wing tea bagging whore.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Nov 15, 2010 5:15:29 PM

15. No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. --Henry Mencken

Posted by: Steve | Nov 15, 2010 5:18:53 PM

16. Great, so reality bends to her will. Why don't we just blow ourselves up already and be done with it.

Posted by: Wes | Nov 15, 2010 5:19:25 PM

17. Yet we're still waiting for dumbassery?

Posted by: jakeinlove | Nov 15, 2010 5:23:29 PM

18. Yes, let's just keep legitimizing her by pretending her invented words have some merit.

Jesus fucking christ.

Posted by: Gridlock | Nov 15, 2010 5:25:29 PM

19. Unless it has to do with gay issues can we please not see SP on this site.

Posted by: chuck | Nov 15, 2010 5:33:37 PM

20. Oh jeezus f**cking christ, I am moving to Venus.

Posted by: Grant | Nov 15, 2010 5:44:45 PM

21. "Words mean what I want them to mean."

It's the wrong Alice !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Nov 15, 2010 5:44:50 PM

22. Jickles, I'm dumpatered at the nonsensery of this postipulating. Paintaculate me horrifiguled.

Posted by: johnny | Nov 15, 2010 5:55:41 PM

23. Word of the year?! Oxford can suck it! They were just too chickenshitified to add dumbfuckery in front of the title. You've been Palinated, Oxford! Random House RULES.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Nov 15, 2010 5:59:26 PM

24. Just to play devil's advocate: The English language is brilliant for its constant changiness (see, I just made up another word!)

I'm no fan of Palin or of rewarding stupidity in this manner. But the mention of how "normalcy" came to be a real word was illuminating - and let's just be glad some political absurdities like "misunderestimating" don't get the official nod.

Also, there may be something legitimate about Oxford's rationale for inclusion. This is not going to go over well here, I expect - but, for instance, I happen to think "that's so gay" expresses something useful that no other word combination achieves. Sorry. I watch who I say it around, because it's potentially offensive - but I'm a homo, and I have license, and often no other phrase will do.

Posted by: Zlick | Nov 15, 2010 6:07:23 PM

25. I hereby refudiate those who would misunderestimate me.

Posted by: Lyell | Nov 15, 2010 6:07:39 PM