GLAAD | News | Susan Sarandon | Transgender

Susan Sarandon Says GLAAD 'Out of Control' for 'Tranny' Criticism

Rocky

Rocky Horror star Susan Sarandon tells the New York Daily News she feels GLAAD went overboard in criticizing Glee's use of the term "tranny" in its Rocky Horror tribute episode:

"When we caught up with Sarandon, she said the controversy puzzled her. 'What should they have said?' she asked, adding that she knew plenty of people who proudly called themselves 'trannies.' GLAAD, she said, was 'getting like PETA - way out of control.' (Not that Sarandon is invested in 'Glee' and its dramas. 'Now that my kids are gone,' she said, 'I don't watch TV at all.') GLAAD spokesman Richard Ferraro responded by reiterating his organization's objections. 'The word 'tra—y' has become an easy punch line in popular culture,' he wrote in an email, 'and many still don't realize that using the term is hurtful, dehumanizing and associated with violence.'"

Comments

1. I have to agree with Susan. GLAAD is slowly becoming extremist like PETA. They need to take it back a step and realize that honestly every word can be used in a derogatory sense. Its all in the usage of the word. I'm of the mentality that we should take words like "Faggots" "Fag" and turn them into words of power much like we did with the word "Queer" and the way that black people use the N-Word (I refuse to use it) amongst themselves all the time. Its all in the context. If you don't use a word derogatorially then what is the point of fighting it?

Plus what is the problem with the word Tranny? It is slang for transmission as well just as GAY only recently came to mean homosexual. It originally started off meaning "Happy" and the word Queer started off meaning "Weird". So words evolve. Slang evolves. What would they have you use instead of Tranny? Its in popular culture now so just deal with it. People beating gays and lesbians down and calling them faggots like that is what they should be fighting. Not fighting one of the most gay inclusive shows on network television (AND ON FOX NO LESS) for using the word tranny.

Posted by: Stephen | Nov 9, 2010 6:17:55 PM

2. First of all - GLAAD really can't type out the whole word "Tra_ _ y"!! That made my day.

Dammit. Janet is right on this one. I love the word Tranny and GLAAD should not look at Glee like it is our enemy.

Posted by: m | Nov 9, 2010 6:18:07 PM

3. Agreed with the preceding two comments. Tranny is an abbreviation for a longer, unwieldy term---one used by most of the trannies I know.

It's not some new, hateful word cooked up to incite hatred and violence.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 9, 2010 6:23:31 PM

4. Since when did tranny become derogatory?! I've never ever thought of it that way or seen it used that way. And we really must stop equating our words with the N word. Not all black people use it amongst themselves and I'd bet it's a very small minority that do. We can still make our argument without referring to another situation.

Posted by: Tim | Nov 9, 2010 6:32:47 PM

5. Associated with violence? Really? Must have missed that. But whatever, it's an abbreviation of a longer word, a very common thing to do in the English language. We don't seem to like anything longer than two syllables. Oh and homo is an abbreviation of homosexual, so I hope we faggots don't go getting all upset over that one either. Sheesh, GLAAD, get a grip.

Posted by: Zlick | Nov 9, 2010 6:33:51 PM

6. A wise tranny once told me, "I don't care what you call me as long as you aren't kicking the shit outta me when you say it."

Posted by: crispy | Nov 9, 2010 6:37:19 PM

7. I think it's funny that the show's name, 'Glee,' was not even used in this post. It was merely referred to as "the show." =)

Posted by: Austin | Nov 9, 2010 6:38:07 PM

8. Susan is right. I'm a 50 something gay, and we've got to lighten up. Then we can't say 'flammer'. 'mo'.....

Tranny isn't used in hate. From the trans men I've met over the years, it's their language as well. Oh lighten up HRC...maybe you should spend more time lobbying Congress to repeal DOMA and DADT?

Posted by: Rick in MA | Nov 9, 2010 6:42:38 PM

9. Yeah, this is why we need to lighten the fuck up. I mean seriously GLAAD.

Posted by: Liam | Nov 9, 2010 6:43:22 PM

10. It's not an abbreviation, but a diminutive.

I actually think that GLAAD doesn't need to get a grip since several trans people are quite happy about GLAAD's reaction. And they should be the ones to ask.

Posted by: Chris | Nov 9, 2010 6:45:37 PM

11. I agree with Susan here, Glaad over reacts to everything these days it seems. Glee is the gayest show in TV history, and they still feel the need to pick at them. Give me a break.

Posted by: Tristin | Nov 9, 2010 6:45:48 PM

12. What? GLAAD has a problem with GLEE??? Oh, man, somebody needs to pull the plug on their funding, because they are SO off base, criticizing the show that's finally made being gay a potentially cool thing for teens. And mainstream acceptable. And now they want to call them on the carpet because of what actually is an historic reference from a 35-year-old movie? Give to the Trevor Project or something, because GLAAD just continues to pontificate from a ridiculous perspective. Harumph. I'll write a letter to Whatsit Ferraro and tell him the same thing. Silly prig.

Posted by: Kevin Moriarty | Nov 9, 2010 6:48:46 PM

13. a few years ago i got flamed for using the word tranny so i took it up with my roommate at the time who is a transgendered woman (m to f, just to be clear). she didn't have a problem with the word but i've tried to avoid its usage ever since because, apparently, there are people who are sensitive about it.

Posted by: alguien | Nov 9, 2010 6:54:25 PM

14. GLEE is unwatchable badness, and anyone who disagrees best take a long hot shower and douche, because yo pussy rank! It's awful, and I don't see the big fucking deal. Maybe some stereotypes about gay men are accurate, huh?

As to tranny, I use it all of the time...I'm unconcerned with how people react to the language I use unless they have guns and are black.

Posted by: TANK | Nov 9, 2010 6:55:29 PM

15. i'm with susan on this. if we get our manties in a knot over every perceived slight, we are going to lose our straight allies. keep it in context, guys.

Posted by: nic | Nov 9, 2010 6:55:34 PM

16. GLAAD needs to keep their eye on the prize. Glee is not the enemy. It's creator and executive producer is gay. Chris Colfer plays a very positive and multi-faceted gay character. And it is the gayest show on television. Again I ask, where was GLAAD last summer when the summer's biggest blockbuster, The Hangover, got away with the line "paging Dr. Faggot"? Now that I find offensive.

Posted by: jamesintoronto | Nov 9, 2010 7:02:13 PM

17. Why is Towleroad even nit-picking a comment by Susan Sarandon? Sarandon is a strong friend of our community and her support can not be doubted. This nit-picking is a silly waste of time. We need to be worrying about the real words of hate coming out of the mouths of the Republicans who are now taking over our Congress. Susan Sarandon will always take a stand for justice and equality for us all; these asshole wacko Republicans will NOT, and they will screw us in every way they can for the next 2 years.

Posted by: hephaestion | Nov 9, 2010 7:04:02 PM

18. I don't think this is an area where one can "lighten up." GLAAD is just flat out wrong. They're not uptight, as much as wrong.

If they had a transgendered character and called them a tranny, then perhaps an uproar would be appropriate. Calling a drag queen a tranny is not a derogatory statement. Trannyshack, for instance, was an awesome drag show in San Francisco for years.

Being wrong and then getting in an uproar about it is silly. Good luck to them.

Posted by: Randy | Nov 9, 2010 7:14:08 PM

19. Anyone think to ask any transgendered individuals what they think of the term? That seems like the only group that matters.

Posted by: Kyle | Nov 9, 2010 7:17:21 PM

20. Yeah, I didn't see the offense in that either. To me Tranny is like being called Gay. You either are or you're not.

AND, the way the character used the word was not in a derogatory fashion.

He said his parents didn't want him dressing like a tranny, of which Frank N. Furter calls himself.

Posted by: Bobby | Nov 9, 2010 7:22:05 PM

21. Here's the thing, at least as I see it. Those of us of a certain generation have used the word, with the full compliance of our trans sisters and brothers. It was irreverent and got people noticed. Now, there has occurred over the last few years where the term seems to have become more derogatory, and I saw this during the ENDA fight. My problem is that I think it's a great word. It's short, succinct, fun. And before anyone comes down on me, I have a trans cousin. But, we do, I think, and this is for the trans community more than anything, need to make the word a positive. It's a really great word. And doesn't need to have any derogatory connotations.

Posted by: Todd Merrell | Nov 9, 2010 7:23:45 PM

22. @Kyle, sorry, but that's not true. Tranny doesn't apply to transgendered individuals.

It'd be kind of like a gay person getting upset by someone using the term "bi" and saying that it is derogatory and represents violence.

Tranny is a shortened form of the term transexual and is common drag queen parlance. It's common for people to misuse these terms and address them at a transgendered person, which is considered an insult, but to lump everyone who dresses up in woman's clothing as transgendered is a bigger insult.

I'm a big fan of San Francisco's drag scene and I've had friends transition. They're very different things entirely. Different worlds.

Posted by: Randy | Nov 9, 2010 7:25:52 PM

23. When GLAAD and Glee don't get along, that's like gloom and glum not getting along! Alliteration consternation!

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Nov 9, 2010 7:37:59 PM

24. Susan Sarandon hit the nail on the head. GLAAD needs to chill out and smoke a joint and stop acting like PETA did when President Obama killed that fly in an interview.

Sometimes there are some, even historically negative, words and labels that are tossed around but only in good fun or with the best intentions. GLAAD does good things for America on a daily basis, but they need to calm down.

Posted by: Jake Orlando | Nov 9, 2010 7:41:24 PM

25. This comment thread is just more evidence than when it comes to Transgender issues, Gay people haven't even got half a clue. "Tranny" is a slur, GLAAD is right on the money this time, and Susan Sarandon needs a brain enema! It never ceases to amaze me, how much we don't want conditions to change for the better; there's no form of homophobia or transphobia we won't accomodate under the guise of shouting down "political correctness". The world's ignorance about LGBT folk isn't going to go away, so why fight it? Let's just break off a piece of it, why don't we? Pathetic and nauseating! When we give this kind of dehumanizing language a pass, we piss on the graves of Angie Zapata, Lateisha Green and every other Transsexual hate crime victim.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Nov 9, 2010 7:59:26 PM