Arkansas | Discrimination | Education | News

Lloyd

You may recall the story of Mississippi High School student Ceara Sturgis, a Mississippi lesbian student now involved in an ACLU lawsuit, who was forbidden from wearing her tuxedo in her school yearbook photo and then left out of the yearbook completely!

Well, a similar situation just went down in Marion, Arkansas, with another lesbian student Sarah Lloyd. The school resisted allowing Lloyd's yearbook photo, in which she wore a tuxedo (above) because, you see, there are rules!

On Tuesday night the school board voted to allow her to wear a tuxedo in the photo.

Said Lloyd: "I feel if I was wearing the drape I'd be someone that I wasn't and I'm really not down for all that. I wanted to show the school I'm not out to please them and I am who I am. They just need to accept it."

Watch Lloyd's story and interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. The real test of these schools' tolerance of gender non-conformity will come when they allow males to have yearbook photographs wearing dresses. Females have always been allowed more leeway for expressing gender non-conformity, especially in clothing, than males.

Posted by: Jake | Nov 18, 2010 9:54:54 AM

2. I don't get all this talk of tuxedo and drapes - do these schools really require formal wear for class pictures? I would have been horrified back in 1979 to be forced to wear a dress. Thankfully I could just wear a nice sweater and pants.

Posted by: Mary | Nov 18, 2010 9:56:34 AM

3. Ceara Sturgis looks terrific in Ceara's year book photograph.

Posted by: Brenda | Nov 18, 2010 10:10:13 AM

4. "Watch: Arkansas High School Grants Lesbian Student Right to Wear Tuxedo in Her Yearbook Photo"

The high school didn't "grant" this woman the right to wear what she wants in the picture. The right exists, period! Whether or not the right is recognized is a whole different story.

This is much like the courts' current investigation of whether or not gay relationships should be recognized. Plaintiffs say the right exists, proponents say the right doesn't. The courts in the end have only the function of recognizing who is right.

Posted by: Homo pedanticus | Nov 18, 2010 10:24:15 AM

5. Congrats to Ceara! And what an wonderfully articulate woman she is. And congrats to the school board for moving forward.

Posted by: David R. | Nov 18, 2010 3:38:17 PM

6. Another entry for the website "Justin Bieber looks like a lesbian."

She's lovely and I hope they let her take her girlfriend to prom. It's glacial, but the South could learn and evolve.

Posted by: SteveDenver | Jan 4, 2011 4:23:45 PM

7. This is my old High School... Things have come a long way since I was there. I'm glad to know that my old hometown can evolve with the rest of the world.

Posted by: Melody P | Mar 27, 2011 11:33:38 AM