News | Republican Party

Watch: 'I Remember, So I'm Voting, and Not Republican'

Iremember

Do you remember?

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. A populist, fear-mongering campaign video every bit as nuanced, accurate and fair as a Tea Party rally - how refreshing.

Posted by: kipp | Nov 1, 2010 5:48:10 PM

2. Yeah I remember too: I remember all of Obama's promises about gay equality, and all his lies, and how he turned DOJ into the most homophobic department of government. I remember, so I'm not wasting my time voting for slimy dishonest Obama-style Democrats.

Posted by: Alex | Nov 1, 2010 5:54:47 PM

3. The one thing that is good about this video is that they are pointing to accurate things that have happened, whereas tea-party videos are pointing to things that they claim will happen. (Because God revealed to them the liberal agenda)

Posted by: ila lwara | Nov 1, 2010 5:55:02 PM

4. I don't believe that to be the case. I'm not a Democrat supporter, I'm not even an American (though my boyfriend is), but I don't think anything in that advert is false. It neglects to mention the Democrats' contribution to America's current situation, but it is a campaign video, and given the two party system in the US, at times mandated in state constitutions, it's not like people have an awful lot of choice in who they vote for. The two party system is unfair and in the US all that people are going to get is the lesser of two evils.

The Tea Party constantly warn of the horrors of a 'socialist' Democrat future. What condemns the Republicans is a glimpse of the past, the precedent of their behaviour, which this advert provides. Given that past, I don't think anyone can be blamed for wanting to draw attention to it.

Posted by: BenB | Nov 1, 2010 5:57:07 PM

5. Coupla hot bears. What was the message, again?

Posted by: RJ | Nov 1, 2010 6:09:43 PM

6. I CAN'T remember a time when I was such a dumbass about where my true interests lay - I'm talking to you Kipp and Alex - that I would vote against those interests. Or a time when I was so stupid I didn't vote at all.

Posted by: ant | Nov 1, 2010 6:20:55 PM

7. I remember too damnit....and have already taken advantage of the early voting last week...

Posted by: yeahisaidit | Nov 1, 2010 6:26:07 PM

8. I love how people seem to assume that if you don't vote Republican, you're going to vote Democrat. Whatever happened to Independents and Write-Ins? The presumption honestly bothers me. It's no one's business *who* you vote for, and yet the assumption is that if you're a disillusioned Dem, you're either not going to vote, or doing something wrong in peoples' eyes. If I go out, and write-in someone I honestly and truly think should have a particular position, then I've done my civic duty. It's not my job, responsibility, duty or any *other* term they'd like to use, to get Dems elected.

People love to say that voting for Independents or Write-Ins is "throwing your vote away" or that doing either is as bad as voting Republican.

If the best America can offer me is the "lesser of two evils" then perhaps it's high time to review this two-party system we have going, 'cause it ain't workin'.

Posted by: Tollendyr | Nov 1, 2010 6:30:35 PM

9. Fat dudes trying to be grim and serious and telling us how to vote.

Posted by: JT | Nov 1, 2010 6:31:10 PM

10. Bizzaro world tea baggers.

Posted by: Diogenes | Nov 1, 2010 6:53:44 PM

11. I see a lot of stupid Gay people that would rather swop apathy for being actively discriminated against. Buddies you've been spoiled for too long......look around the World and see your future under the Republithugs......maybe you won't have the quick death of hanging from a crane like they do in Iran but you will die the slow one of marginalisation and then active exclusion. Think about it. I am not an American but being Gay I do care about my people..........I hope you care enough about yourselves to wake up and smell the roses.

Posted by: DavidW | Nov 1, 2010 7:00:43 PM

12. Tollendyr, it's called splitting the vote. Of course it's always going to be the lesser of two evils. How many decent people would want to get involved in politics? It's a career where your entire life is reviewed and attacked, where you have to be on and accurate 24/7, and where compromise is the name of the game if you expect to make any progress.

I agree that voting is better than not voting, but voting for a candidate who has no chance of winning and wins a couple percentage points of the vote doesn't display much to anyone except that your candidate lost by a wide margin. I basically agree with your high-minded rhetoric, but the reality is that American politics---like politics everywhere---is sludge. But yeah, you are throwing away your vote because its demonstration effect is minimal and ignored.

And voting Green or independent invariably pulls votes away from Democrats; you have to recognize that. Republicans simply don't vote for third party candidates (with a few exceptions in 1992 for Perot). If Ralph Nader hadn't run in 2000 aside to boost his own ego, Gore would have won. Think the world might be a lot different today had that been the case?

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 1, 2010 7:06:50 PM

13. I remember.

I am not voting Republican.

I am not voting Democrat.

I am voting Green.

It's not my fault that the US 2 party system is undemocratic.

And I do not feel pressured any longer to vote for the 'lesser' of 2 evils.

Posted by: SteveC | Nov 1, 2010 7:15:55 PM

14. I remember when the 107th Congress gerrymandered our local districts and made it next to impossible to get any kind of sustained democratic majority.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Nov 1, 2010 7:29:25 PM

15. So, SteveC, why bother to vote at all? You know the Greens have no chance of winning. So your vote is a waste of time. Greens have won many elections, even in liberal enclaves like San Francisco?

Some protests are crucial, but voting against your self-interest simply to express frustration serves no purpose whatsoever.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 1, 2010 7:35:46 PM

16. So SteveC...you quite obviously have never lived in a place where you are hounded and strung up for being Gay. sometimes you have to swallow your spoiled, Capitalist, me only petulance and learn to vote strategically..............otherwise you will deserve what you get buddy.

Posted by: DavidW | Nov 1, 2010 7:53:36 PM

17. I'm exercising my right to vote and it's for the green party. I'm not throwing away my vote on a democrat.

Posted by: Name: | Nov 1, 2010 7:53:37 PM

18. I voted for all the Democrats because that is what is in MY best interest, for this midterm election, to get a more gay friendly Congress.

As for the White House, THAT has to wait for 2012.

As for the Tea Party -- I'm afraid their pot is cracked. They mostly believe in the 18th century America where everyone who counted was white, grew his own vegetables and shot any stranger on sight.

If you've talked yourself out of using your vote in your own best interest, then there's nothing left but to sit on the sidelines and watch.

Posted by: 21st Century Voter | Nov 1, 2010 8:09:04 PM

19. Where are all these Green Party candidates people claim to be voting for? Are we living in Europe, where Green candidates are viable?

We have Progressives in VT as a viable party (Bernie was a Progressive). But Greens? Really? For Congress or Senate? For Governor? For what?

Posted by: KevinVT | Nov 1, 2010 8:09:21 PM

20. I remember the phrase "fierce advocate".

Posted by: Brian | Nov 1, 2010 8:12:42 PM

21. Brian: Obama is not running. Senators, congressmen, governors, state legislators: those guys are running. Our candidate for governor, for example, IS a fierce advocate and orchestrated 2/3 votes in the state senate for marriage equality. I'm voting for him. He's a Democrat.

The Republican came into politics because he opposed Civil Unions. I'm not voting for him. I remember.

Posted by: KevinVT | Nov 1, 2010 8:27:18 PM

22. I remember Jimmy Carter and how good it felt when he got his clock cleaned in 1980.

Tomorrow we stick it to the next incarnation of Jimmy Carter.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Nov 1, 2010 8:39:06 PM

23. ANd LL is another crazed extremist party line voter who deserves the scorn heaped upon him...but he's largely ignored, which works for me...you are a spineless apologist, LL, who defends a party that largely wishes you didn't exist.

Posted by: TANK | Nov 1, 2010 8:41:08 PM

24. Bitching about our two party system and voting green is exactly how Bush got into office. I wish the bitterest of you bitter queens weren't also so fundamentally stupid.

Posted by: Robert | Nov 1, 2010 9:20:08 PM

25. "Crazed extremist party line voter"? That's hilarious.

For the record, I'm a squishy social moderate and fiscal conservative. Unfortunately, Barack Obama, Nancy Pelosi, and Harry Reid turned me into a raving Republican. Tomorrow, two of those will lose their jobs -- hallelujah.

The gay community will continue to get taken for granted by the Democrats and ignored by the Republicans until we get over the "all Republicans are evil" crap.
    We're not all tea partiers.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Nov 1, 2010 9:29:26 PM