Bullying | Gay Youth

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Seth Walsh's Mother Reads His Suicide Note

Seth
You most certainly recall the tragic suicide of 13-year-old Seth Walsh, who took his own life after being repeatedly bullied at his school in Tehachapi, California. The ACLU has just released a video wherein Seth's mother, Wendy, reads the suicide note he wrote to his family moments before he hanged himself in the family's backyard.

Utterly heartbreaking.

According to the ACLU website, the organization has "sent a letter to Tehachapi Unified School District officials urging them to take immediate and affirmative steps to prevent this kind of tragedy from happening again. The U.S. Department of Education is also investigating the district."

The LA Times reports on why Seth's mother made the video: “Wendy wanted to get the word out about what happened to her son. She was hoping to spread the word that there are resources for people in need.”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Dear God my heart goes out to this poor family. What a horrible tragedy.

I don't know what we as a community can do, exactly, but it has to be something.

I'm on the board of directors of a local gay pride organization, and we're desperately trying to find a way we can help. There's a very effect lgbt community center here, but it's still nowhere near enough support.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and with Seth. Let's hope the bigots at the Tehachapi school can possibly set aside their hate long enough to see the blood on their hands.

Posted by: Craig | Dec 18, 2010 8:25:47 AM

2. What a profoundly sad story. When will this endless hate and harassment of gay people stop? There are powerful institutions and forces within our society and other societies that have a literal genocidal death-wish for gay people.

This is little comfort to Seth's mom and family, but that school system needs to have the mother of all civil suits lodged against it. How the so-called leaders in that town can hold their head up after knowing the truth behind Seth Walsh's life and suicide is beyond me.

Posted by: ratbastard | Dec 18, 2010 8:40:26 AM

3. My life was made hell in junior high and high school. The constant comments and slurs. I don't understand how Ron Howard and Vince Vaughan can't see that their little "joke" ("that's so gay!" used in a derogatory manner: gay = lame, stupid, dumb). No wonder so many gay kids suffer. It's constant, and language hurts. Now millions of kids are going to see Vince Vaughan say it and think it's fine. I hope Vaughan's and Howard's kids never suffer like I did, or like so many others do. Take care, Seth.

Posted by: randy | Dec 18, 2010 10:09:07 AM

4. *hanged himself.

Posted by: Peter | Dec 18, 2010 10:35:20 AM

5. Many, many thanks to people like Craig for what you help do to end this heartbreak.

Posted by: Hex | Dec 18, 2010 11:30:10 AM

6. Just remember folks. This used to go on all the time with NON One taking any notice of it whatsoever.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 18, 2010 12:03:49 PM

7. Sad

Posted by: Name: | Dec 18, 2010 12:09:14 PM

8. this made me cry

Posted by: IndyTown | Dec 18, 2010 2:36:08 PM

9. I want to have a super power & kill all the bullies in the world! I was bullied in school from Grade1 until high school...even until now, some of my bullies are on Facebook, added me as their friends. That's how ignorant & stupid they are. But you can't break me! Not all the kids are like me, some like Seth gave up & ended their lives! Suicide is not the solution! Kill all the bullies, that's how it should be!

Posted by: Jake | Dec 18, 2010 3:19:30 PM

10. I wonder how many people (myself included)are permanently screwed up because of the hate and rejection we received both at home and in school ...

My thoughts are with Seth's mom and his siblings.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Dec 18, 2010 3:47:11 PM

11. What's tragic for me is that he was secure in his family to come out in 6th grade, but then the ugly world stepped in and fucked it all up.

I cannot imagine what it must be like to discover your beloved after suicide. I feel so bad for his mother, little brother, his family.

Maybe schools need to have on staff a person in charge of all bullying complaints and see to it that both the bullied and the bully are monitored, inside and outside of school. The police should be informed, as well as various community groups, churches, etc. Short of a body guard, what to do to stop this foolish tragedy.

Posted by: kodiak | Dec 18, 2010 5:51:48 PM

12. Parents must retain a kick ass plaintiffs/trial/tort attorney at the first sign of school indifference to bullying of any kind. Then a claim letter is sent to the BOARD warning of the filing of the formal notice of claim unless immediate meaningful action is taken to stop the bullies in their tracks. In the USA only the threat of a money judgment gets school administrators attention.

Posted by: Contrarian | Dec 18, 2010 6:40:21 PM

13. One of the first things I intend to do if elected to the seat I am seeking is to introduce legislation that will mandate that a no-bullying policy be put into effect for all schools within the jurisdiction of the Council. This kinda of thing MUST end and soon!

Posted by: John | Dec 18, 2010 7:14:14 PM

14. @Contrarian is right. My best female friend in high school was bullied a lot by huge jocks for being fat, punk, and lesbian-seeming (she's actually bi). Someone once lit her hair on fire for chrissakes. (I got slammed into lockers but slammed back and it stopped.) Teachers saw this kind of stuff and did nothing. It was the mid- to late 1980s.

Anyway, her mother raised holy hell with the administrators, threatening legal action. That changed things quite a lot. I'm in no way blaming this mother, who I feel horrible for, but if a vice principal (and I wouldn't have settled for a vice principal) told me to "remind him next semester" about abuse against my child, I would have told him he'd be looking for a job the next semester given the shitstorm I'd be raising.

Schools have a duty to protect all kids, and if they fall down on the job, the threat of lawsuits and publicity will usually remind them of that duty.

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 18, 2010 9:14:07 PM

15. Ironically, I just read this after all the happy posts regarding the end of "Don't Ask Don't Tell." Clearly, we still have a long ways to go.

Posted by: Dback | Dec 19, 2010 12:18:52 AM

16. Paul R. I would assume there is much more to the case and the attempts to get help than has made it into the press. From what I see, this woman did everything possible to protect her child. The vice-principal should have seen to it that they bullying stopped. It's actually his/her responsibility under the law.

Posted by: Mrs. Sippi | Dec 19, 2010 3:39:08 AM

17. Too painful to watch. Poor kid! Poor family! Shameful school officials.

Posted by: wimsy | Dec 19, 2010 11:52:17 AM

18. @Mrs. Sippi, Again, I feel nothing but empathy and sadness for this woman. But I think she may not have been aware of all the tools at her disposal because, as you and I both said, it's the responsibility of school officials to protect students. This vice principal clearly did not.

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 19, 2010 6:46:51 PM

19. Seth I'm so sorry no one was there for you, I prey you are being loved and cared for by all those in heaven that went before you. Little brother you will be remembered.

Posted by: dmw | Dec 19, 2010 10:20:50 PM

20. I myself was teased, not to the extent that Seth, Billy, Asher, etc were, but it hurts when people pick out your imperfections and display them in front of everybody. Seth looked like the sweetest little boy and was a blessing to all he was around. I hope his parents find the peace in knowing that no one can abuse him now and that he's always with you.

Posted by: Gabrielle | Dec 30, 2010 3:27:56 PM

21. Seth, it's been a year now since your death. I just hope that your in better place than you were here. You were my age. You were unique. I wish I could've met you :/

Just a week ago we lost another poor boy, Jamey Rodemeyer. My friend's cousin also ended his life a month ago. I want to help and what I can do is stop bullying when I see it. I'm doing this for you and for all those others who lost their lives because of bullying. I wish someone was their for you and that you were still here to see... that it does get better you just have to hold on and never give up. Seth, your free now, free from pain, free from everything. You were young and had so much to live for, but your life was cut short because of those bullies... just remember that you never did anything wrong, they did. People are finally realizing the BIG problem here, we need to take action and stop bullying before we lose another innocent child. I had enough of this, people should stop judging others, there not perfect either...

Seth, you will be missed, I will never forget you. I Promise.

Bullying is for losers