Don't Ask, Don't Tell | John McCain | Military | News

Watch: Will John McCain Now Vote to Repeal 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'?

Mccain

Will John McCain change his mind on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"?

Senator John McCain cherry picks the dangerous assumptions and prejudices of the few military leaders (like Amos) that will fit his own bigotry, without being able to see the larger picture that the law's on its way out and will harm the military more than help it if it's not repealed legislatively. For McCain, bigotry trumps common sense, so this is the answer he'll likely take to his grave.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I don't care what his son thinks about this - I care that 2/3 of troops, 2/3 of Americans, and most of the military's top leaders are ready to see this policy killed. McCain and other old grumpy men are utterly clueless.

Posted by: IndyTown | Dec 17, 2010 7:33:24 AM

2. It IS broke! Therefore FIX IT, bigot!

Posted by: Igor | Dec 17, 2010 8:01:02 AM

3. McCain's legacy is dive-bombing. He will be remembered by thoughtful Americans as having burdened the country with Sarah Palin and being the George Wallace of early 21st Century civil rights.

Posted by: rascal | Dec 17, 2010 8:02:03 AM

4. In other words, he said "Get off my lawn, you dam kids!"

Posted by: McCain | Dec 17, 2010 8:24:31 AM

5. urgh. i hope this gets passed so we dont have to suffer seeing john mccain being interviewed about anything anymore.

Posted by: Paul | Dec 17, 2010 8:28:10 AM

6. yikes. it's scary how stupid and bass ackwards (many of) our politics are.

Posted by: me | Dec 17, 2010 8:35:47 AM

7. Ever since he selected Alaska (half-)Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate, McCain has embodied the sage adage "there's no fool like an old fool". He continues to reinforcement that embodiment today.

Posted by: Rob | Dec 17, 2010 8:39:17 AM

8. I don't know if it will happen before the New Year, but I can't wait to see his decrepit face when it passes.

Posted by: princely54 | Dec 17, 2010 8:56:41 AM

9. mr potato head

Posted by: kb | Dec 17, 2010 9:51:54 AM

10. a) I won't believe that it'll pass till it actually does. People like Sen. McCain will do everything they can to shoot this bill down.

b) I think that the question was impolite, but pertinent. It is an unspoken rule that you aren't supposed to involve a politician's family. It was important to illustrate that it is only his prejudices at work though. I think that McCain lied about what his son thinks. That pause and the lack of proper nouns, with the use of "they" in the middle, to me, indicates that he decided lie with a convenient excuse for later. "I said they! I was clearly still talking about the military leaders!" is something we are going to hear once we find out that McCain's son supports repeal.

Posted by: lessthan | Dec 17, 2010 10:08:01 AM

11. George Wallace saw the error of his ways, John McCain won't.

Posted by: PM | Dec 17, 2010 11:25:17 AM

12. There was definitly a bad experience in McCain's past with a gay soldier. A really good reporter needs to find out that story. But there must have been a guy that just didn't take no for an answer or something (McCain was smoking hot when he was younger) and it really poisoned McCain to all gay service members.

Posted by: NoSleep4Sam | Dec 17, 2010 11:25:33 AM

13. @nosleep4sam--what a disgusting comment to make. You have absolutely no evidence of such a thing and yet this is the conclusion you jump to? There are millions of homophobic people in the world-did they all have to have an encounter with a guy "that just didn't take no for an answer"?? Or might there be other (irrational) reasons for their idiocy? Think for a minute before you type.

Posted by: StillMarriedinCalifornia | Dec 17, 2010 12:37:41 PM

14. this is the digital age. everything is recorded. these conservatives are damning their own place in history.

congrats, bigots.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 17, 2010 2:30:49 PM

15. What military leaders did he listen to?

Posted by: jaragon | Dec 17, 2010 6:16:50 PM

16. What is irrational about my conjecture? Also, it's really the vibe I get from McCain because he won't give a real reason he's so against letting gay service members serve openly.
    It is disgusting that someone would hold a grudge for so long.

Posted by: NoSleep4Sam | Dec 18, 2010 12:11:41 PM