Mel Gibson | News

BigGayDeal.com

Winona Ryder Says She Knew About Mel Gibson Long Ago

Winona Ryder tells GQ she thought Mel Gibson was an anti-Semitic, homophobic drunk long before everyone else did

Ryder "I remember, like, fifteen years ago, I was at one of those big Hollywood parties. And he was really drunk. I was with my friend, who's gay. He made a really horrible gay joke. And somehow it came up that I was Jewish. He said something about 'oven dodgers,' but I didn't get it. I'd never heard that before. It was just this weird, weird moment. I was like, 'He's anti-Semitic and he's homophobic.' No one believed me!"

Comments

1. Back in the 90's, when Gibson was at his peak fame, I watched a brief tv interview of him. He tried to get into the Boston Ritz hotel restaurant and they wouldn't let him unless he had a tie. He smiled tightly telling the story, but you could plainly see he was p'ed about it. At the time I said to myself, this guy is really high-strung and wound up. I said to myself I bet this guy has a really bad temper and that his public persona was a mask. This was LONG before all this bad stuff about him came out.

I still think he's a talented guy though.

Posted by: ratbastard | Dec 16, 2010 1:55:37 PM

2. Join the club Winona - we have been saying he's antigay since 1991.

Posted by: Dan | Dec 16, 2010 2:02:45 PM

3. Doesn't it strike as odd that Jodie Foster, being one of the most together actress in hollywood and who certainly doesn't look like someone who takes homophobic crap from anyone, would be close friends with this guy if he was a homophobe?
    (I mean, Jodie being a lesbian and/or decent human being)

Posted by: tophe | Dec 16, 2010 2:10:44 PM

4. Tophe: I agree w/ u. Whoopi Goldberg also had a friendship w/ him & got a lot of flak for defending him. I work w/ individuals who have dual-diagnosis of mental-illness & addiction & Gibson seems to fit that bill. I know it doesn't excuse his behaviour but I feel empathy for him. I hope he's getting the help he desperately needs.

Posted by: scar2 | Dec 16, 2010 2:40:26 PM

5. LOL hell, people said when he did his anti-semitic snuff film passion of the fairytale that he had issues but few listened

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Dec 16, 2010 2:49:13 PM

6. Tophe and Scar2

Right, cause you know them reall well, huh? Didn't Whoopie go out with Ted Danson who did black face and said racist jokes at an event they were attending?

Foster who has never done anything vocally for gay rights?

And what about Christine O'Donnells sister who went out of her way to support her sister? Or Carl Padiano's gay nephew?

I could go on and on and on but I think you get the point.

Posted by: Rowan | Dec 16, 2010 3:26:29 PM

7. @rowan: loud and clear - you are unable to separate things.

Posted by: topher | Dec 16, 2010 3:33:10 PM

8. Mel sucks. NEXT!

Posted by: TANK | Dec 16, 2010 3:36:43 PM

9. Everytime any celeb is in the shitter Whoopie defends them. I don't care whether or not Mel has an illness, you speak your truth when you're drunk. "Oven Dodgers" is SO bad that I hope I never hear that in person because I might just lose it on whoever says it.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Dec 16, 2010 4:00:54 PM

10. Thank God Winona was too dense to understand what the term 'oven dodger' meant, or else she might have went all Heathers on his ass.

Posted by: Gregoire | Dec 16, 2010 4:16:53 PM

11. very mad max

Posted by: john | Dec 16, 2010 5:25:37 PM

12. rowan, I remember that incident with Whoopi and Ted some years ago (early 90s I believe). If I heard the story correctly SHE was the one who told Danson to do the routine and even gave him some material. Montel Williams didn't think it was so funny and blasted both of them later for it. Whoopi, however, got on Montel's case and a little feud started between them. I think that Whoopi and Ted meant well and certainly didn't mean to be offensive but remember this was political correctness run amuch back then. Probably still now I imagine.

Posted by: terry | Dec 16, 2010 5:39:52 PM

13. He's a grade A creep

Posted by: Stephen | Dec 16, 2010 6:16:51 PM

14. a Catholic fringe extremist.

Posted by: Chris | Dec 16, 2010 6:28:00 PM

15. WOW defending this guy here ..no spine,2 u that are defending him your comments are nauseating

Posted by: sal | Dec 16, 2010 9:04:59 PM

16. You know what, Winona? Ron Howard's been homophobic since the 1980s. Why are you defending him rather than calling him out?

Posted by: Landon Bryce | Dec 16, 2010 9:31:17 PM

17. Gibson is an untalented, self-important hack.

But for Ryder not to quickly process "oven dodgers" (which I'd never heard before but is not hard to figure out) does not mark her as particularly bright. And who was she telling about Gibson's bigotry? He's always seemed psycho, even before the public outbursts. I'm sure she wasn't the only person in Hollywood who heard him being an ass after a few drinks.

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 16, 2010 10:52:49 PM

18. I once read: alcohol is not a truth serum. If it was, there'd be no need for courts. Alcohol looses inhibitions, removes filters: some people are angry drunks, some people are stupid drunks, etc., & every combination. I'm not defending Mel Gibson, he's probably an entitled egomanic with a serious drinking problem+anger issues. Looking back at a number guys I've picked up after a drink too many, I'd say the cocktails LIE, Blanche, THEY LIE!

Posted by: tipsy | Dec 18, 2010 1:28:50 AM