Adele | Music | Music Video | News

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Adele Performs Her New Single 'Set Fire to the Rain', Which She Calls a 'Gay Anthem'

Adele

Adele debuted her album 21 at the Tabernacle in London last night and performed her new single "Set Fire to the Rain". Londonist writes that  she calls it her gay anthem, "apparently written in response to her best friend dismissing 'Chasing Pavements' as not being enough of a gay anthem."

If this song and her first single are any indication, this album is going to win a ton of awards.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Previously...
Watch: Sparks Fly, Dishes Break in Adele's 'Rolling in the Deep' Video [tr]

Comments

1. Check out the video of her singing her other new song, "Someone Like You."

Her new album is unbelievably great. and depressing. but great.

Posted by: Brian Caldwell | Jan 25, 2011 10:25:37 AM

2. And the video for Don't You Remember.

There are at least four #1s on this album. It is spectacular.

Posted by: Simon | Jan 25, 2011 10:53:12 AM

3. Downloaded the new cd illegally a few days ago & it's brilliant. There are a few songs where I find myself closing my eyes to feel it all in. It's a break-up cd but I didn't find it depressing at all because it's so powerful. I will purchase it once it's released here in North America.

Posted by: scar2 | Jan 25, 2011 10:53:44 AM

4. Adele is a huge talent.

Posted by: Jeff | Jan 25, 2011 11:05:36 AM

5. I loved her first album, and so far, everything I've heard, including this song, has been great. But didn't she once gripe that "Chasing Pavements" was being adopted by the gay community as an anthem of sorts, and how she didn't like that because it would limit the appeal of the song?

Not downplaying her talent or her music in any way, and what she said about her gays not letting Sarah Palin backstage gave me a little happy, but it just seems that she's made something of a turnaround in her attitude about the whole thing, if I remember correctly.

Posted by: Austin | Jan 25, 2011 11:34:43 AM

6. The album is incredible. This song has been on repeat for days. 'Set Fire To The Rain' and 'Someone Like You' are where it is at for me. Although, the album version of SLY is a disappointment compared to the live version.

Posted by: Lance | Jan 25, 2011 11:55:09 AM

7. I doubt she griped judging by how, second only to Lady GaGa, she discusses her love for her gays ad nauseum in interviews including the lead-in to this performance.

Posted by: Christopher | Jan 25, 2011 11:55:51 AM

8. Christopher, I probably remembered wrong, then. I can't find where I read it, and I tried Googling it, but couldn't turn up anything relating Adele's negative perceptions of it. Apparently, it did get banned in several places because it served as a gay anthem. Weird.

All that aside, though, she really is an amazing artist. Love her voice!

Posted by: Austin | Jan 25, 2011 12:57:39 PM

9. She is brilliant. Can't believe she is only 21.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Jan 25, 2011 1:06:52 PM

10. Austin: In the lead up to singing this song she said that her gay friend complained that 'Chasing Pavement's wasn't sufficient enough a gay anthem which led to her writing this song.

That may have been what you heard elsewhere which, through her thick accent, might have come across like her expressing a gripe.

Posted by: Christopher | Jan 25, 2011 3:09:19 PM

11. this is the very first thing by Adele that i have disliked; imo, it is not up to the things she has done; it seems musicall unfinished or like a work in progress...

sorry, guys; i do love her work; this just doesn't cut it for me.

Posted by: mike/ | Jan 25, 2011 5:44:47 PM

12. mygurl!!!!!

Posted by: sal | Jan 25, 2011 6:38:40 PM

13. Austin: One of her first interviews in the States she said she didn't understand how some people (religious right) found anything in Chasing Pavements as a reference to being gay. She went on to say that she didn't think coming to America was going to be worth the trouble if she would have to defend the song all the time (and she didn't like fying all that much).

Posted by: DKNATL | Jan 25, 2011 8:27:41 PM