Comments

1. scar2 says

Downloaded the new cd illegally a few days ago & it’s brilliant. There are a few songs where I find myself closing my eyes to feel it all in. It’s a break-up cd but I didn’t find it depressing at all because it’s so powerful. I will purchase it once it’s released here in North America.

2. says

I loved her first album, and so far, everything I’ve heard, including this song, has been great. But didn’t she once gripe that “Chasing Pavements” was being adopted by the gay community as an anthem of sorts, and how she didn’t like that because it would limit the appeal of the song?

Not downplaying her talent or her music in any way, and what she said about her gays not letting Sarah Palin backstage gave me a little happy, but it just seems that she’s made something of a turnaround in her attitude about the whole thing, if I remember correctly.

3. Lance says

The album is incredible. This song has been on repeat for days. ‘Set Fire To The Rain’ and ‘Someone Like You’ are where it is at for me. Although, the album version of SLY is a disappointment compared to the live version.

4. says

Christopher, I probably remembered wrong, then. I can’t find where I read it, and I tried Googling it, but couldn’t turn up anything relating Adele’s negative perceptions of it. Apparently, it did get banned in several places because it served as a gay anthem. Weird.

All that aside, though, she really is an amazing artist. Love her voice!

5. says

Austin: In the lead up to singing this song she said that her gay friend complained that ‘Chasing Pavement’s wasn’t sufficient enough a gay anthem which led to her writing this song.

That may have been what you heard elsewhere which, through her thick accent, might have come across like her expressing a gripe.

6. mike/ says

this is the very first thing by Adele that i have disliked; imo, it is not up to the things she has done; it seems musicall unfinished or like a work in progress…

sorry, guys; i do love her work; this just doesn’t cut it for me.

7. DKNATL says

Austin: One of her first interviews in the States she said she didn’t understand how some people (religious right) found anything in Chasing Pavements as a reference to being gay. She went on to say that she didn’t think coming to America was going to be worth the trouble if she would have to defend the song all the time (and she didn’t like fying all that much).