Ellen DeGeneres | Lady Gaga | News

Lady Gaga Releases Lyrics to Her LGBT Anthem 'Born This Way', Sings to Ellen DeGeneres

Gaga_ellen

Late this afternoon, Lady Gaga tweeted the lyrics to her track "Born This Way" which has been billed as an LGBT anthem, and is getting more attention pre-release than any song in recent memory.

Says Gaga in the lyrics:

NO MATTER GAY, STRAIGHT, OR BI,
LESBIAN, TRANSGENDERED LIFE
I'M ON THE RIGHT TRACK BABY
I WAS BORN TO SURVIVE

On Twitter, Gaga asked her little monsters to use the hashtag #bornthiswaylyrics and it was the #1 trending topic in 20 minutes.

She also sang 'Happy Birthday' to Ellen DeGeneres and promised to sing the song on her show.

Watch Ellen, and read the lyrics, AFTER THE JUMP...

'BORN THIS WAY' lyrics

INTRO:
It doesn't matter if you love him, or capital H-I-M
Just put your paws up
'cause you were Born This Way, Baby

VERSE:
MY MAMA TOLD ME WHEN I WAS YOUNG
WE ARE ALL BORN SUPERSTARS

SHE ROLLED MY HAIR AND PUT MY LIPSTICK ON
IN THE GLASS OF HER BOUDOIR

"THERE'S NOTHIN WRONG WITH LOVIN WHO YOU ARE"
SHE SAID, "'CAUSE HE MADE YOU PERFECT, BABE"

"SO HOLD YOUR HEAD UP GIRL AND YOU'LL GO FAR,

GIVE YOURSELF PRUDENCE
AND LOVE YOUR FRIENDS
SUBWAY KID, REJOICE YOUR TRUTH

IN THE RELIGION OF THE INSECURE
I MUST BE MYSELF, RESPECT MY YOUTH

A DIFFERENT LOVER IS NOT A SIN
BELIEVE CAPITAL H-I-M (HEY HEY HEY)
I LOVE MY LIFE I LOVE THIS RECORD AND
MI AMORE VOLE FE YAH (LOVE NEEDS FAITH)

REPEAT CHORUS + POST-CHORUS

I'M ON THE RIGHT TRACK BABY
I WAS BORN THIS WAY HEY!

I WAS BORN THIS WAY HEY!
I WAS BORN THIS WAY HEY!
I'M ON THE RIGHT TRACK BABY
I WAS BORN THIS WAY HEY!

Comments

1. Man the lyrics bought a tear to my eye... and I haven't even heard the song yet.

For an artist of Gaga's level to be releasing a song like this is an amazing statement

Posted by: Richie | Jan 27, 2011 6:17:34 PM

2. This is finally filling in that missing, unspoken link from "Vogue"—"it doesn't matter if you're black or white/if you're a boy or a girllll", and then just tack this whole song on as an addendum.

Good for her, and shame on the inevitable gay backlashers who will find fault.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Jan 27, 2011 6:27:24 PM

3. Beautiful. Can't wait to hear the music and see her Grammy performance. She's the fierce advocate we've been waiting for.

Posted by: SKOC211 | Jan 27, 2011 6:28:47 PM

4. I love the lyrics but hate that she has god in there so much give me a break but love the rest tho

Posted by: Tony | Jan 27, 2011 6:30:38 PM

5. Yep, she's a real Noel Coward, that one...

Posted by: Pinky | Jan 27, 2011 6:37:56 PM

6. Maybe it's an anthem for LGBs, but it's not an anthem for Ts.

Posted by: Natira | Jan 27, 2011 7:25:13 PM

7. I'm walking through life in nature's disguise
    You laugh at me and you criticize
    'Cause I'm happy, carefree and gay
    Yes, I'm gay
    Ain't no fault - it's a fact
    I was born this way - yeah
    Now I won't judge you - don't you judge me
    We're all the way nature meant us to be

Chorus
    I'm happy, I'm carefree and I'm gay
    I was born this way

You call me strange 'cause you don't understand
    God's role for me in life's overall plan
    I've learned to hold my head up high
    Not in scorn nor disgrace
    Doin' my thing individually
    Entwined with this human race

Now I won't judge you - don't you judge me
    We're all the way nature meant us to be

Chorus

You laugh at me and you got the nerve to criticize
    If I were you I'd sit down
    And consider what you're doin'
    Love me and I love you
    And together ain't no tellin' what we'll do
    Yeah - born I said
    From a little bitty bitty boy
    I was born this way

I love you, I love you
    And even you - born this way - yeah
    I'm tellin' y'all one more time
    I was born this way, proud to tell it
    I was born this way
    Gonna shout it, tell the world about it
    I was born this way

Posted by: gagaiscaca | Jan 27, 2011 7:30:41 PM

8. ohh haters fall back THE QUEEN IS BACK AND HAS A SONG FOR US TO LIFT OUR SPIRITS IN THESE CYNICAL NEGATIVE TIMES

Posted by: sal | Jan 27, 2011 8:08:42 PM

9. @Natira

What do you mean? The T in LGBT is in there

"NO MATTER GAY, STRAIGHT, OR BI,
    LESBIAN, TRANSGENDERED LIFE"

Posted by: ravewulf | Jan 27, 2011 8:16:39 PM

10. Ravewulf, many transgenders go through a great deal of pain because they feel they are born as the wrong gender. I figured most people understand the basic reality of trangenders but I forget that some idiots like Lady Gaga don't understand much at all.

Posted by: Natira | Jan 27, 2011 8:33:10 PM

11. Born in the wrong body, yes. But wouldn't they also be "born that way?" As in: I was born a man but stuck in a woman's body? Or vice versa? Isn't there a difference between how one was born, physically, and how one was born in who they are in their being? That was at least my understanding of the transgendered experience. One is inherently born that way, as a transgendered individual, a person stuck in the wrong body - right? I think that's what Gaga means by "transgendered life." And even if it isn't a perfect understanding of what it means to be transgendered isn't the greater issue that one of the biggest stars in the world is openly and directly advocating for respect and equality for everyone in the LGBT community? Or even further, isn't it wonderful that a transgendered teen that is struggling with their identity has maybe found a popular voice that says it's ok to be who they are? Especially since being a gay teen in the media seems to be so in vogue that maybe, just maybe, this will help open up a dialogue to include everyone.

Posted by: SKOC211 | Jan 27, 2011 9:16:52 PM

12. Youtube CARL BEAN "born This Way" for the alternate version

you won't be sorry you did...

Posted by: yeahisaidit | Jan 27, 2011 11:18:35 PM

13. Skock21, that's one perspective. Here's my perspective on the song:

Lady Gaga is a christian heterosexual woman, as are most of her listeners and supporters. That's why she's rich and famous. And this song represents her views of LGBTs, and her fellow hetero christians.

This song is way of bringing homosexuals into her religion.

Lady Gaga is a Catholic missionary.

Posted by: Natira | Jan 27, 2011 11:28:24 PM

14. "I wish I was like you / Easily amused ..."

Posted by: virtualdespot | Jan 27, 2011 11:54:26 PM

15. my god!!... why doesnt she just gag on a gay dudes cock in the video while she's at it

Posted by: why? | Jan 27, 2011 11:57:29 PM

16. Somebody as wonderful and beautiful and positive as Gaga still yields so many sad, hateful, negative little posts. You weren't born THAT way.

Posted by: Rey | Jan 28, 2011 12:18:18 AM

17. Um it's pop people. It's an agenda. Wake up.

Posted by: Heart | Jan 28, 2011 12:19:36 AM

18. Oh, and VirtualDespot, Kurdt would think your cynical assessment unfair, I'm sure. Like Gaga, he also used his media attention to draw attention to gay and lesbian issues; he titillated just as much. Unfortunately he lost control and we lost his beautiful voice.

Posted by: Rey | Jan 28, 2011 12:41:17 AM

19. Youtube CARL BEAN "born This Way" for the alternate version

you won't be sorry you did...

Posted by: yeahisaidit | Jan 27, 2011 11:18:35 PM

Thanks Yeahisaidit.

That is the LGBT ORIGINAL Anthem and version by Carl Bean but of course the white Gay establishment will NEVER acknowledge it. They will just make it seem as if GaGa created it on her own.

Just like Madge and Vogue......Whoopty Doo!

Posted by: Chris | Jan 28, 2011 1:19:29 AM

20. @Natira - I get that you dont think Gaga has got it right about the transgendered experience [altho a number of my trans friends are big fans of Gaga and would disagree] but I really dont see where you get her as a heterosexual Catholic Missionary. Given all that she has said and done to support LGBT issues, and the fact that she has said she identifies as bisexual, she has never mentioned becoming part of any church at all to her fans. Sure, she believes in God, but that doesnt make her a Catholic missionary. At most, it seems that she wants the church to accept what she feels is God-given, that we are all born this way. As for her fans being mostly white heterosexual Christian females I think youre way off-base there. Also, I bet that this song does NOT represent the views of "her fellow hetero christians" at all. Im not saying you have to be a fan of Gaga's, but I think you have got some facts wrong.

Steve

Posted by: Steve | Jan 28, 2011 2:27:10 AM

21. I can't believe homosexuals are falling for this no-talent tranny. Caca is USING gay people to sell records. She could care less about us. In fact, I think she is a right wing creation used to make gay people look bad.

Posted by: Michael B | Jan 28, 2011 2:46:54 AM

22. Well it's a rather preachy song, God made them gay, etc, and she is a catholic, so that makes her a catholic missionary.

Listen, how does a plain-looking woman with no real musical talent become a rich and famous pop star in 2 short years? Obviously she had help. Either from the Mafia or the Vatican or both.

Posted by: Natira | Jan 28, 2011 2:52:44 AM

23. Natira...really? Just humor me in how I will suddenly become Catholic because of her?

Posted by: Matt | Jan 28, 2011 3:37:16 AM

24. Yes Matt. Not only Catholic, but you'll be able to join the US military at the same time as Gaga's new album is released, and shoot afghan children while listening to the pseudo-gay, transphobic songs of Lady Gaga. And you'll return to the USA in a body bag or suffering from PTSD. And then you can thank God and Gaga for your miserable life.

Hey Gaga fans, how many fingers am I holding up?

Posted by: Natira | Jan 28, 2011 4:09:58 AM

25. Lady Gaga is a fake gay advocate.

Posted by: brian | Jan 28, 2011 5:51:28 AM