Chris Evans | Film | News | Superheroes

BigGayDeal.com

Chris Evans is Packing as Captain America

Evans

A new still from the forthcoming Captain America film.

EW writes:

"If it looks strikingly different than the classic Captain America get-up — bold colors, flimsy material, a mask with weird little wings — that’s definitely by design. 'You can’t really take him seriously in his flag pajamas,' director Joe Johnston told EW in last year’s exclusive first look cover story on the film. So instead, the hero’s main uniform was designed to resemble a tricked-out airman’s jumpsuit, the 'A' on the helmet and star on the chest modest in size, the colors muted. It took Evans about 25 minutes to suit up. 'He likes to do it all by himself,' explained costume designer Anna Sheppard. 'I think it helps him feel like a super hero.'"

Previous Chris Evans...
Gucci Guilty Pour Homme Campaign Features More Chris Evans [tr]
Photo: Chris Evans Takes a No-Pants Subway Ride [tr]

Comments

1. Holy bulge Captain America!

Posted by: clemsonaj | Jan 14, 2011 8:06:57 AM

2. Nice....

Posted by: Dave | Jan 14, 2011 8:45:52 AM

3. He's a captain I'd like to serve...

Posted by: Matt26 | Jan 14, 2011 8:48:04 AM

4. Like the new look, but I really would love to see him in the classic body hugging suit. I mean this boy sure has a lot of sculpted, luscious body to hug! Rurhhhhhhhh!

Posted by: rebar | Jan 14, 2011 9:01:47 AM

5. Yum.

This captain raises my salute!

Posted by: Mark | Jan 14, 2011 9:02:01 AM

6. Meh, it's basically the Captain America uniform from the Ultimate universe. I prefer the 616 original.

Posted by: Vince | Jan 14, 2011 9:28:18 AM

7. Aren't these comic book character movies starting to get a little pathetic? Captain America?

Posted by: Butch | Jan 14, 2011 9:39:59 AM

8. He should've stuck to being the Human Torch imho ... he really captured that character well ... Cap? Meh ...

Posted by: Pitt90 | Jan 14, 2011 11:02:26 AM

9. @Butch: Well considering that Captain America is one of Marvel Comics tent-pole characters I'd say no -- not pathetic. Maybe it's of no interest to you but I'd rather have this than more crap like The Hangover (2).

Posted by: Steven | Jan 14, 2011 11:20:55 AM

10. it looks like it was sized for someone taller and bigger, AND toning down the colors and monograms weakens the character. look does NOT fit a hero.

Posted by: james | Jan 14, 2011 11:26:25 AM

11. @Steven - there's no question that there are a bunch of worse movies to be easily found; I was just commenting that there have been a raft of these superhero-type movies lately and it seems to me to indicate a failure of imagination.

Posted by: Butch | Jan 14, 2011 12:53:12 PM

12. I am with Butch. For now anyway. I'm just worn out for the moment with superpowers. I'm over comic books and vampire stories and anything that's all about people with magic powers. I don't mind that sort of suspension of disbelief occasionally, but it feels over done lately. On both TV and in the movies. What is our culture's current obsession with magic powers (and yes I consider it "magic powers" even when the heroes have been mysteriously transformed to the peak of human perfection by some serum or spider bite or super-hitech suit as well as supertrained superspies ala Jason Bourne)?

Do we feel so helpless that we think only magic can save us?

These things wax and wane and for now, I'm more about stories about normal people with normal powers (and weaknesses). My next movie is going to be the King's Speech. Hopefully no one wears a cape and shoots lazers from his eyes.

Posted by: Dave L | Jan 14, 2011 1:17:19 PM

13. Hate the new look. The Bush era is over. Superheroes can be real again.

Posted by: Randy | Jan 14, 2011 1:49:30 PM

14. Love the picture. Chris's eyes are saying, "Get her off of me! Wrong gender!"

Posted by: Garrison Howard | Jan 14, 2011 2:07:36 PM

15. Horrible "new design". People who invest a lot of money in movies get too scary and do stupid things for the sake of credibility.

Posted by: Lexxvs | Jan 14, 2011 2:14:39 PM

16. As for all of you commenting onmstrozfckslv@yahoo.com's comments.

I agree with him. He is not saying you should not bathe and have B.O.

To the people who wear colognes and perfumes: They are not a suitable substitutes for bathing. Some people, (like me), are highly allergic to them and they give us headaches. Stop making people around you miserable. If you have to wear them, then you need a bath! Why don't you go take one now?!?

And I am not a bear! I am actually 6', 170 lbs, Brown hair, blue eyes, and have been told many times I am hot. (I don't see it, I think I am very average looking).

Posted by: Garrison Howard | Jan 14, 2011 2:14:56 PM

17. Oops. Comments left on wrong page! sorry. I was talking about Chris's cologne ads.

Posted by: Garrison Howard | Jan 14, 2011 2:20:20 PM

18. Looks like he's been covered with an old quilt and some duct tape. And the helmet really sucks.

Could be anybody under all that. And I'll bet it never comes off.

Posted by: Where's The Beef? | Jan 14, 2011 5:37:54 PM

19. This superhero/vampire stuff is basically just a resurgence of the gothic area of the 1800's. It's interesting to see society recycle itself.

Posted by: Jen | Jan 14, 2011 5:47:05 PM

20. era**

Posted by: Jen | Jan 14, 2011 5:47:22 PM

21. It has a kind of real quality- but I would like to see how he looks in action.

Posted by: jaragon | Jan 14, 2011 6:05:42 PM

22. One of the most formidable challenges in translating a comic book character to a live-action medium is the costume.

First and foremost, no human being in the "real world" ever had or will have a body that either resembles or functions in the same manner as those found in the pages of your standard superhero comic book.

Second, but no less important, what can be easily rendered in pencils and inks is often all-but-impossible to accomplish with thread and needles (Batman's cape, Wonder Woman's bustier, etc.). Fabrics simply do not and cannot behave that way.

I think it is rather unfair to rail against the costume for not being "authentic" or "convincing" - among similar such criticisms - when the filmmakers are likely doing the best they can with respect to their material limitations. And even if the decision was made to outfit Chris Evans with a more "traditional" Captain America look, chances are it would come across as cheap, flimsy, and clownish - and inevitably rouse a chorus of complaints.

Although the costume may not be exactly how -you- would envision it, please give them a little credit for their efforts. It seems like they really are taking the character and his depiction seriously, which, as we all know, cannot be said for a lot of other comic book adaptations.

Posted by: KC | Jan 14, 2011 11:42:33 PM

23. the current look is set to be during WWII - the new body hugging suit should be expected in the AVENGERS movie where he's brought out of a cryogenic-freeze.

Posted by: DannyG | Jan 15, 2011 12:53:38 AM

24. @Butch

For me the shark was jumped with the Fantastic Four.

I would like to see them do something new with the genre.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Jan 15, 2011 9:42:31 AM

25. @Butch, maybe so, but that guy recalls fond memories of a three-way with two Marines, one of whom I called Sgt. Rock, and the other of whom I called Capt. America. Wow!

Posted by: Gratefull | Jan 15, 2011 2:50:57 PM