Chris Hughes | Facebook | Gay Marriage

Facebook Co-Founder And Gay Activist Partner Engaged

Cs
Facebook's Chris Hughes and his partner Sean Eldridge have announced that they are engaged. The two made the announcement at a recent reception in support of Freedom To Marry, the organization in which Eldridge serves as political director.

The New York Post reports:

"This is very timely for Chris and I to have you here tonight to celebrate marriage and work on marriage," Eldridge announced to guests. "We got engaged two weeks ago, so there is a real sense of urgency." The two decided to make their longtime relationship legal on New Year's Eve. "We were in Thailand in a hotel room in the north. We were delayed after two days in the snowstorm and Chris got down on one knee and proposed. It was very traditional and very sweet," Eldridge told us. "We've been together for five years now."

Hughes and Eldridge will wait to marry until marriage equality is introduced to New York state. Congrats, guys!

Comments

1. congrats

Posted by: write_thesis | Jan 15, 2011 1:10:20 PM

2. Both of them are total catches! I hope their lives together is as rich as their material wealth.

Posted by: booka | Jan 15, 2011 1:28:10 PM

3. Call me a snob, but I could never marry someone who doesn't know whether 'I' or 'me' is used as the object of a preposition. I don't care how cute or rich he is...

Posted by: Tucker | Jan 15, 2011 1:41:04 PM

4. Don't worry, you're not a snob, just pathetic.

Posted by: LiamB | Jan 15, 2011 1:43:58 PM

5. Congrats but there's gonna be facebook jokes boys...(God they're sooo young too)
    Can imagine Jon Stewart with:
    So this is where 'friending' on facebook ends up huh?
    At least there was more to a marriage proposal than each pushing the "like" button...
    We need "I do" button for facebook...
    OK, I'm done now!

Posted by: Sean R | Jan 15, 2011 1:57:48 PM

6. Congratulations guys. You're such a cute couple!

Posted by: romeo | Jan 15, 2011 2:04:46 PM

7. Chris Hughes is sooo cute. His boyfriend much less I think but hey, he's the one getting married to him ;-)

Posted by: Charles | Jan 15, 2011 2:16:07 PM

8. Hey, Tucker! What about people who don't know the difference between "you're" and "your"? Or the ever popular... "there" and "their"? Good luck finding someone to marry.

Posted by: Reggie | Jan 15, 2011 2:21:55 PM

9. Adorable, they are!

Also, here is the video of Sean's speech:

Posted by: damien | Jan 15, 2011 2:23:38 PM

10. There's nothing pathetic about wanting the person you're with to
    master simple grammatical rules, lol.

Posted by: BCLance | Jan 15, 2011 2:27:43 PM

11. @Tucker & BCLance,

You two sour-ass queens will never find a partner with that supercilious attitude! As Winston Churchill once said, "Pedantry such as yours is something up with which I will not put!"

Posted by: Paul Weidig | Jan 15, 2011 2:34:26 PM

12. What's pathetic is what motivates spoilsport sourpusses to post unnecessarily negative commnents. What's the point of ruining good news with snarky comments about incorrect grammar usage or, worse, that bitchy remark about one of them being "less cute" than the other? Remember your manners, grinches - you're in company, so if you feel the urge to fart, leave the room.

Posted by: Leroy laflamme | Jan 15, 2011 2:45:42 PM

13. The guy on the right is VERY shag-a-licious! I would love to have a 3-way!

Posted by: Snarlz Krauthammer | Jan 15, 2011 2:51:59 PM

14. @Tucker, I won't call you a snob, but I'd probably call you single. Good guess?

Posted by: Gratefull | Jan 15, 2011 2:52:24 PM

15. I regret my grammatical requirements necessitate that I circumscribe my matrimonial pursuits to graduates of the better "public schools' in the U.K....lol!

Posted by: Tucker | Jan 15, 2011 3:18:34 PM

16. This is the one left out of the movie?

Posted by: anon | Jan 15, 2011 3:24:51 PM

17. Well, Mom always said that a person shouldn't marry for money, but that only dating rich people can be a very smart way to end up happy. Clearly she was right.

Posted by: Sancho | Jan 15, 2011 4:07:25 PM

18. That Sean is only 24! But good on them!

Posted by: Rowan | Jan 15, 2011 5:07:43 PM

19. This is great news for Chris. On a side note, note how the producers of The Social Network completely skipped over Chris's sexuality. They had no qualms about covering the heterosexuality of the other founders of Facebook, however.

It suggests that The Social Network is homophobic.

Posted by: mark | Jan 15, 2011 5:18:01 PM

20. @mark What is suggests is that you're presenting an idiotic argument.

Maybe Chris contracted that his sexuality was not discussed in the film.

STOP ASSIGNING GUILT!

Posted by: Doris Dey | Jan 15, 2011 5:34:54 PM

21. All the best to Sean and Chris!

Posted by: Fred | Jan 15, 2011 6:12:20 PM

22. With its embrace of conspicuous commitment, this gay generation has officially out-straighted the straights. Is that necessarily a good thing?

Posted by: tcw | Jan 15, 2011 7:19:39 PM

23. Congratulations to them! Just doesn't get any better to be young, gorgeous, rich and GAY! Here's hoping they have a slew of kids to make the marriage even better!

Posted by: OS2Guy | Jan 15, 2011 7:42:16 PM

24. RULE OF TOWLEROAD NUMBER ONE: Every time there is an article showing some gay happiness, the bitter and failed readers must act upon making ridiculous and derisive comments to try to ease their own overwhelming sense of defeat.

Posted by: Lexxvs | Jan 15, 2011 8:08:05 PM

25. Sigh, I was going to congratulate them as well for being cute & smart, AND comment on the grammar. Why can't they be happy and grammatically correct at the same time? It's not as if English has so many cases (really just 2, and the objective is only used as an object of a verb or pronoun). It's not Ancient Greek, for God's sake. Or Hungarian. Anyone who went to Brown AND Columbia should be able to use the objective case.

And for the record, I DO have a partner, a writer who has never, as far as I can recall, misused this form in the 20 years I've known him. I'm not bitter. I am, however, a language professor, and we are allergic to such things.

Posted by: Kevinvt | Jan 15, 2011 8:34:00 PM