Comments

1. ratbastard says

Alright…this is really,really,really sad. How do the punks sleep and live with themselves knowing they pushed him over the edge? Kameron’s family and friends will never get over his death. No one ever gets over the suicide of a loved one. I have experience with a suicide in my family and not a day goes by when I don’t think about him or see him in other people, frozen at the age he died. The time of year and especially the date always leaves me tense, depressed and melancholy. Even 15 years later I still will wake up in the early AM and my first thought is him.

2. TampaZeke says

Here we go again. We’re on the brink of another rash of suicides.

We have to find the fine balance between publicizing these events and raising awareness of the problem. The way it’s being done now it seems to be having very little positive effect on policy and practice but a devastating copy cat effect.

I would encourage Andy and all bloggers to follow the advice of mental health professionals and stop publicizing details of these tragedies. Professionals say that the more detailed the reports the more likely they are to elicit copy cats.

3. Eugene says

“Mental health professionals” should do their job, not shut people up. Healthy, well-adjusted people don’t kill themselves – regardless of reporting. The so-called “copy cat effect” may be just a temporary fluctuation. In other words, the so-called “copy cats” were going to kill themselves anyway. They just did it a little earlier.

4. Derrick from Philly says

“Healthy, well-adjusted people don’t kill themselves – regardless of reporting.”

Yes, Eugene, but unfortunately some folks who seem to fit the above description sometimes kill other people. Some of our most brilliant, compassionate and sensitive human beings have ended their lives in suicide, Eugene.

No, I (and most of you all) don’t understand how people could get such pleasure or satisfaction from such cruelty–enjoying watching vulnerable people’s suffering and destruction. I guess they are the same kind of people who could torture a little child and laugh about it.

5. Anastasia Beaverhausen says

These suicidal teens appear to be participating in a Darwinian exercise in survival of the fittest, only in this case “fitness” is their level of self esteem. In nature, an organism isn’t viable if it can’t compete for a constrained resource (typically food and fertile mates) and fails to pass its genes along to the next generation. In these cases, though, a gay boy isn’t popular and opts-out of participating in the future, but sad fact #1 is there was no constrained resource. You can make all the self-esteem you want or need; it isn’t rationed by Facebook (contrary to Accepted Truth among today’s young).

Sad fact #2 is that all of society — and our community in particular — loses what these individuals had to offer in our shared future, even if they were once “unpopular”. The solution, though also sad, is that they need to man-up and stick around for the future. If you’re socially fragile then cancel the Facebook account and get rid of those precious mobile gadgets you can’t live without, and stop watching those goofy teen/vampire shows (with 30-year-olds playing the teens) on television. Then you get to create your own life.

The popular boys from my high school class now all look like Rush Limbaugh after an Oxycontin overdose and the girls are giant heifers devoid of femininity or any other redeeming qualities; none of them are particularly bright and all are on their second or third unhappy marriages. I delight in recalling how unpopular I was so that I didn’t turn-out like them.

6. Stephen says

Not gonna get many friends with this comment but all those gays who commit suicide cause they were bullied are cowards. I was bullied in high school. I’m STILL bullied and I’m 25 years old. Yes I get sad but seriously. Its pathetic that people who kill themselves cause they can’t handle it get the press. What about people who get bullied most days of their lives? I know countless people who get bullied every day but hey still hold their heads high. The media needs to stop making this a giant sob story for all the gays who take the cowards way out.

7. rafi says

Stephen,

I admire anyone who goes through whatever hardships without letting them get him down, but assuming everyone else would have the same way of processing their world is a pretty you-centric way of looking at things. It’s very possible that if you were naturally wired different or more susceptible to depression, you’d have committed suicide too.

You’re right, the kind of mentality that leads to suicide shouldn’t be coddled or pitied, but it does deserve attention and help.

8. B says

Stephen: If you want press for being bullied, contact a media outlet. Like they say, the squeakiest wheel gets the oil.

On a side note, why are you being bullied? Have you stood up for yourself or spoken to anyone to get help in the situation?

9. AJ says

I am through with this. SERIOUSLY! Why do we need the details of every single one of these suicides? Suicide, whether gay/straight/bullied/non-bullied is flat out GIVING UP. These young people are NOT martyrs, they are mentally ill. I think all of this coverage may very well create some sort of copycat BS. STOP ALREADY!!

10. Paul R says

@AJ: coverage doesn’t create models. It highlights the problems of kids who have or are considering offing themselves. In so doing, it will hopefully help mitigate their desperation. A depressed child doesn’t need guidance to advance suicidal tendencies, and sweeping it under the rug is a really crappy idea.

Emotionally screwed-up kids need support, and increasing coverage of their penchant for suicide doesn’t just reach them: it also hits older people (parents, teachers, counselors, etc.) who can recognize and hopefully impede their self-destructive efforts. The recent attention is simply shining light on an issue that’s been occurring for decades, but when families were too ashamed to admit that their dead kids were gay. It’s not fair to brand these children as mentally ill; in most cases they’re just abused and feel horribly isolated.

One of my main tormentors in high school was an obvious closet case with an abusive father. I despised him but I didn’t want him to kill himself. But he did, as did several three other kids, all within months of each other, because the school refused to address the subject—worried about inciting copycats. Once the approach changed, the suicides ended.

11. Chris says

As a person who works with LGBT youth, for those out there calling people cowards who are contemplating suicide or have committed suicide I wish you would please understand just how selfish your comments are. People in these situations read those kinds of post and feel even worse about themselves. I am sorry you too had a hard life, but that gives you no right to pick apart the troubles of others simply because you “survived” and they did not or cannot any longer.

These comments are reasons why we need to start introducing children to sociology, and other social sciences at younger ages so they can get out of this mindset of Me, My, I and start looking at the broader picture into what contributes to these suicides (even know most of us might already know the many causes).