BigGayDeal.com

News: Milan, Matthew Lopez, Blood, Sharron Angle, Nebraska

Road

Rahm Emanuel promises LGBT Chicagoans he'll fight for them.

Road Nebraska judge denies divorce to same-sex couple, but rules on custody of child.

Lopez RoadHot playwright: The NYT offers up a profile on 33-year-old gay playwright Matthew Lopez, and his new play The Whipping Man. "How did he, a self-described 'foxhole Episcopalian' from the Florida Panhandle, the son of a Puerto Rican father and a Polish-Russian mother, come to write a play about a Jewish Confederate soldier and two former slaves raised as Jews who, in the charred wreck of a Virginia home after the Civil War, celebrate Passover together?"

RoadItalian TV chef keeps promise to cook naked.

RoadMilan University offers Italy's first 'gay studies' course.

Road Thomas Dekker talks Kaboom.

RoadCanadian Blood Services wants ban on gay blood lifted.

RoadConnecticut state senate campaign goes anti-gay: "Both candidates, Republican Len Suzio and Democrat Thomas Bruenn, have promised to run a campaign on the issues. But on Thursday, state Democratic Chairman Nancy DiNardo claimed that surrogates for Suzio’s campaign are running a telephone push poll that indirectly attacks Bruenn, who is gay. One of the questions on the poll is, 'Would you be comfortable or uncomfortable with a state senator who is openly gay?'"

RoadYikes: this is not a good look for Ricky Martin.

RoadObama's Reagan bromance?

Moore RoadJulianne Moore is Harvard Hasty Pudding club's Woman of the Year.

RoadSharron Angle planning run for President? “I’ll just say I have lots of options for the future, and I’m investigating all my options."

RoadU.S. Marshall harassing 'DADT' protesters? "Ostensibly the visits are to inform the protesters of their upcoming court case in March, but I'm told by Robin McGehee of GetEqual that previous court notices were mailed to them - they've never had the US Marshal show up at their homes."

RoadI agree with Andy Dehnart at Reality Blurred that Oprah's Behind-the-Scenes reality show on her OWN network is unexpectedly watchable.

RoadMatthew Rettenmund interviews The Black Spark.

RoadApparently West Hollywood club Trousdale is so relaxing, even Leonardo DiCaprio will let his hair down, and whip it back and forth.

Mercury RoadFlashback: Freddie Mercury rides Darth Vader.

RoadRear Admiral Alan M. Steinman, USPHS/USCG (Retired), the highest-ranking U.S. military officer to identify himself as gay, shares his story about 'DADT'. "During that entire period I remained 'in the closet': I did not reveal my sexual orientation to anyone in the Coast Guard, nor even to my relatives. In order to serve my country, I had to sacrifice my personal life."

RoadBritish singer Will Young wants a baby: "I'm not seeing anyone at the moment, but I definitely am not ruling out being a father in the future. I think it would be really challenging and amazing at the same time. I think I'd go down the natural conception route with penetrative sex."

RoadAre LGBT advocates taking the wrong approach to gay curriculums in schools by focusing on them as a way to end bullying? "Instead we should be arguing that education should be an 'objective' look at global history, and as most history classes stand now, they are curtailing crucial elements of history featuring LGBT people (or, in more cases, treating them as so inconsequential so as not to merit any academic lessons). Textbook writers shouldn’t be required to portray gay people in a positive way. But they should be required to disseminate truth and contain full, factual histories."

Comments

1. Re:Rahm Emanuel promises LGBT Chicagoans he'll fight for them.

We've heard it before Rahm. Fierce advocate, right?

Posted by: Paul | Jan 28, 2011 5:13:21 PM

2. God I loved Freddie Mercury.

Posted by: Michael W. | Jan 28, 2011 5:14:57 PM

3. RE strange visits by US Marshals to White House protesters: as one of those arrested, I can tell you that a December 8th order by US Magistrate Judge John M. Facciola postponing our originally scheduled December 15th court appearance specifically states:

"notice of any future court hearings [will be delivered] via U.S. mail at their respective addresses."

Yet US Marshals began showing up on people's doorsteps, sometimes in pairs, with "summons to appear in US criminal court," a couple of weeks ago. Even if this is not an attempt to intimidate protest, and regardless of how low or high the person in the Administration who ordered the marshal visits, they serve no FUNCTIONAL purpose. Marshals make thousands of dollars a year. A certified letter costs $2.80.

As taxpayers and citizens, do the math—both literal and political.

Posted by: Michael@LeonardMatlovich.com | Jan 28, 2011 5:32:13 PM

4. Will Young: We can practice, if you'd like.

Posted by: JTlvr | Jan 28, 2011 6:46:02 PM

5. Freddie was great and definitely one of a kind. What a voice!

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jan 28, 2011 9:07:44 PM

6. I loathe Ronald Reagan with just a little less passion than I have for GW Bush. Reagan began the great decline of our society, fiddled while victims of AIDS died by the thousands and he allowed his criminals, the so called "California Kitchen cabinet" to spend us into financial ruin. So, for Obama to admire anything about this grotesque excuse for a leader is disgusting and tell me where his morals and intellect are lacking. Any friend of my enemy is my enemy.

As for Rahm, screw you, too. You did nothing for the gay community while Obushma's COS. Why should anyone believe you'll be an advocate as mayor of Chicago?

US Marshall's harassing gay protesters? Now that's a surprise. They're Federal cops, nothing more and nothing less. So taking the time to harass gays, blacks or other minorities doesn't shock me at all.

Ending on a positive note, the young gay playwright is gorgeous. I hope he's as talented as he is handsome! I wish him much success.

Posted by: Bob R | Jan 28, 2011 9:10:29 PM

7. you're crazy, Ricky is very cute in the glasses-

Posted by: entrepoid | Jan 29, 2011 12:58:29 AM

8. Don't believe Rahm. He hates anything progressive. Just look at the remarks he's made as Chief of Staff regarding the left.
    I hope Chicago is smart enough to vote in anyone else.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Jan 29, 2011 1:00:46 AM

9. @Entrepoid - I'ts not the glasses on Ricky Martin that are bad (I agree men in glasses are hawt) but that brutal cheetah-print dye-job in his hair-don't.

And as for the photo of Freddie mercury riding Darth Vader... I wouldn't have guessed that Vader was a bottom... lol.

Posted by: GraphicJack | Jan 29, 2011 6:37:19 PM

10. My high school crush who I still think about today also has the name Matthew Lopez. I was more than a little freaked out when I read the subject line. It's a common name I know, but it's not often that you see it on towleroad or any other site for that matter. Ahh, I miss him.

Posted by: James | Jan 29, 2011 6:59:06 PM

11. Rahm Emanuel is a cheap, political opportunist. One would hope that Chicagoans will reject Emanuel's bid for mayor. He will do Chicago no favors.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 30, 2011 11:32:57 AM

12. Matt Lopez...a playwright with "the whole package" if you know what I mean!

Posted by: SeeingI | Jan 31, 2011 2:28:01 PM