I'm Gay | News

Watch: A High School Senior Comes Out

Kayla

A high school senior gives a brave, articulate speech about her sexuality to her school on Martin Luther King, Jr. day, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via queerty)

Comments

1. amazing.

Posted by: kodiak | Jan 24, 2011 10:15:40 PM

2. Wow! What a brave and wonderful young lady!

Posted by: Brian | Jan 24, 2011 10:18:03 PM

3. Wow! That gave me goosebumps... She is so articulate.

Posted by: Stuey Richards | Jan 24, 2011 10:20:49 PM

4. Well damn girl!!! Quite the Tough cookie!!! ^_^

Posted by: Liam | Jan 24, 2011 10:35:21 PM

5. Wow, she's so brave and inspirational. But not just for LGBT youth, but hopefully for everyone. I look up to her.

Posted by: Truthfulliar | Jan 24, 2011 11:04:40 PM

6. Wonderful! I wish that it wasn't cut off so early--would be great to hear the audience's reaction more.

Posted by: Robert | Jan 24, 2011 11:55:27 PM

7. Someone to watch! Brava!

Posted by: David R. | Jan 25, 2011 12:34:54 AM

8. It DOES get better ... now!

Wow, simply WOW. The beautiful young woman has many years of happiness because she is now true to herself.

Posted by: FunMe | Jan 25, 2011 1:03:26 AM

9. Yes yes, she was brave and all that but... was I the only one that thought she was going to try and sell me her audio book about living up to your full potential or something?

Posted by: Scott | Jan 25, 2011 1:04:38 AM

10. Scott, yeah I kind of agree. Very brave girl but something about her speech was a little bit off. I don't know. Don't tear me to pieces but it felt a little formulaic and preachy.

Posted by: Emma | Jan 25, 2011 1:54:32 AM

11. Great things she said, but it felt like an actress doing a monologue. It just didn't feel as heartfelt as I expected. That said, it may well have been heartfelt but as a few others noted it just felt a bit off.

Posted by: robertmalcolm | Jan 25, 2011 2:53:31 AM

12. she is brave and polished. a gem for our community.

Posted by: andnowwhat | Jan 25, 2011 2:58:44 AM

13. does everyone realize how hard this was for her to? she put herself directly in front and said what had to be said reguardless of consequences. that is more than be be said for many big brave politicians tv personalities and hollywood types who hide in the closet. to all of them take alesson from this young lady and jelpmake life better for everyone

Posted by: walter | Jan 25, 2011 3:01:17 AM

14. Beautiful! I cried, some one so young but full of courage and wisdom, Bless Her!!

Posted by: GaryJ | Jan 25, 2011 5:31:42 AM

15. Powerful and articulate. Of course, she pre-wrote and rehearsed it, giving it a bit of a "performance" quality; that's probably the "off-" ness some are hearing. A High School Senior; she got it all said and said damn well. The kid has a future, and sounds as though she's prepared for it....

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Jan 25, 2011 7:47:29 AM

16. MLK...a man known for his eloquent speeches and his delivery, of those speeches...that's the spirit in which she delivered her eloquent speech!!

There was nothing "off," about it!

Posted by: corruptleadingtheblind | Jan 25, 2011 8:00:55 AM

17. What a gutsy young lady! We all know how difficult it is to come out to our family and friends, so to stand in front of her peers at a high school assembly is a breathtakingly courageous act. How truly lucky that school is to have such a powerful role model. Is this an example of what "Gay Pride" means?

Posted by: Bill | Jan 25, 2011 5:43:25 PM

18. Man, this was like something out of a cheesy preachy TV show. The "offness" that you're sensing is a lack of authenticity.

Posted by: tim | Jan 25, 2011 6:14:53 PM

19. It was authentic and sincere. She prepared as one would for a public speaking course or a debate team, much better than getting up there and blubbering. Good for her, she told her story and made her points.

Posted by: Jeremiah | Jan 25, 2011 8:56:44 PM

20. You go girl. I agree that it was spoken formally, but that's what happens when you prepare a SPEECH.

As a high schooler coming out AND giving a motivational speech? I salute you. You have a future in public speaking, and the courage to do well in anything you choose.

Posted by: Danielle | Jan 25, 2011 9:06:46 PM

21. I have a feeling we haven't heard or seen the last of this brave and beautiful young woman.

Posted by: emma | Apr 18, 2011 12:14:43 PM