Alabama | Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | News | Robert Bentley

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Alabama Governor Apologizes for 'Christian Brother' Remarks

Bentley

Alabama Governor Robert Bentley made a post-inauguration apology for remarks he made at a Baptist church on MLK Day regarding non-Christians.

Said Bentley at the MLK Day service: "So anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother."

Said Bentley on Wednesday: "The terminology I used, I believe, seemed to disenfranchise other religions, and it certainly was not meant to do that...It was never my intension to disenfranchise anyone. If I did make anyone of any faith feel disenfranchised, let me say I am sorry."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. why do these asswipes always say something and the next day apologize. they are never sorry for what they say only that someone caught them saying it. he said it he believes it. so to the people of alabama you voted for it you got it live with it.

Posted by: walter | Jan 20, 2011 10:09:03 AM

2. Just wanted those of us with no faith to feel disenfranchised. Christians always forget that there are other religions when they attack atheists.

Posted by: Dee | Jan 20, 2011 10:11:04 AM

3. "I am sorry (that I got caught saying what I did)." We all know that he believes what he said because he's Christian and this is what their mandate is. If you're not a Christian you're not going to Heaven and thus, you're going to Hell. I don't actually believe in Hell, or Heaven, or even the Bible...but they do. The closer we get to 2012 the crazier the crazies are getting!

Posted by: Gigi | Jan 20, 2011 10:13:51 AM

4. I accept your apology. Now stop proselytizing!

Posted by: Adrian | Jan 20, 2011 10:17:25 AM

5. How come no one ever holds these alleged Christians feet to the fire about spouting the opposite of what JC espoused?

Posted by: Martin Johns | Jan 20, 2011 10:24:13 AM

6. Another CLASSIC fake apology using the stock phrases "seemed to disenfranchise" and "never my intention" and "If I did make anyone . . . feel . . . blahblahblah . . . let me say I am sorry." You aren't sorry, idiot, you're another cowardly cliché who won't stand behind your own words.

(Where's Ted to defend the bigot?)

Posted by: Ernie | Jan 20, 2011 10:25:11 AM

7. "I'm sorry I said out loud what I think." Not really an apology, but nowadays, it's pretty much what passes for one.

Posted by: Charlie-o | Jan 20, 2011 10:32:21 AM

8. What about your constituents with no faith? You may try to ignore them, but they do exist and as their Governor you are sworn to protect their rights as well. What a loser!

Posted by: IndyTown | Jan 20, 2011 10:43:01 AM

9. I do not forgive him for his remarks. period. I've heard this kind of crap since I was a kid and I am certain behind not-so-closed doors there is a lot of winking and nodding concerning his remarks.

What if the same gesture was remarked concerning race? Would a simple apology be acceptable?

Posted by: Michael J. Hildebrand | Jan 20, 2011 10:50:25 AM

10. If you're going to be that dumb you should at least be pretty or handsome.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Jan 20, 2011 10:51:03 AM

11. He just said what most of these freaks believe. In his case we got to see what is hiding under the white sheet and hood.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jan 20, 2011 11:06:19 AM

12. What do you know. Bentley just took Mississippi out of the cellar as far as bigoted governors go.

Posted by: TruthSeeker_Too | Jan 20, 2011 11:12:10 AM

13. Did you know that the word "Bible" is the oldest acronym in the world? it stands for "Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth". Their all a bunch of gullible idiots!

Posted by: Dear_Comrade | Jan 20, 2011 11:46:27 AM

14. Once the horse is out of the corral there is no getting it back in!!! dude you said, it's part of the public record and your legacy!!

Posted by: alexInBoston | Jan 20, 2011 12:06:22 PM

15. I was brought up as a christian - as I expect in the broadest sense of the term were many who read this blog - I simply do not recognise the "christianity" that these "born again" types believe in.

I do not beleive nor have I attended church for a long time (bar weddings...)but I do recall christianity being a relativly straightforward faith based upon love for one's fellow man.

Quite where these people get their fire and brimstone "faith" from is of interest since it sems to have more to do with excluding their fellow men rather than reaching out to them.

This man's faith s certainly not any branch of chrisitian belief that I know of.

Whatever happened to all the nice christians I used to know as a child who had good manners, sang tuneful hymns and often carried out good works in their local communities for years without any fuss or thanks ?

Maybe I'm just an old conservative but I liked old style christians not this nasty new breed.

Posted by: arch | Jan 20, 2011 12:35:47 PM

16. A certified member of the American Christian Taliban. A bigot(no doubt) but also an idiot (he revealed the true face of the religious right publically). "Bob we know your right but you can't say that outloud, them pinko yankees will put it in the paper"

Posted by: plaintom | Jan 20, 2011 1:05:18 PM

17. He's an old guy, so it's good that we won't have many of those kkk type HATEFUL people around for long.

Posted by: FunMe | Jan 20, 2011 1:44:34 PM

18. another butt hole who has had to back pedal for his stupid statement that now proves to the population just how bigoted and narrow minded he is

Posted by: lk | Jan 20, 2011 2:13:32 PM

19. But the real question is whether or not he likes cake. Because if he doesn't like cake...irredeemable disgrace. bullshit heaped upon bullshit...so deep and thick from a lifetime of it that nothing he says for the rest of his life will displace it. Ah, alabama...where the men are all alcoholics, the women all have black eyes, the kinds are all overweight and nobody has the proper number of chromosomes.

Posted by: TANK | Jan 20, 2011 4:08:10 PM

20. All those rancid idiots seem to like the glory of standing in front everybody, undies on their feet.

Posted by: Roman Bolliger | Jan 20, 2011 4:29:47 PM

21. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOaCD_JNgkA

Posted by: TANK | Jan 20, 2011 4:35:20 PM

22. Tool Tool Tool. Please help us (the ones stuck here in Alabama)!

Posted by: clint | Jan 20, 2011 9:33:54 PM

23. OMG. He looks like Mr Burns from the Simpsons.

Posted by: James PoppingaJ | Jan 21, 2011 12:05:17 AM

24. You didn't "disenfranchise" anyone. If you were not an idiot you would realize the term refers to the right to vote.

You didn't take anything away from anybody, you boorish lout; but you did make yourself look exactly like what you are: an ignorant ass.

Posted by: Danny | Jan 21, 2011 1:44:02 PM

25. He looks like a man who is late for his Klan meeting.

Posted by: wimsy | Jan 21, 2011 2:37:48 PM