News | Photography

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Genius Nanny Street Photographer Discovered After Death

Maier

A breathtaking find.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(gawker tv via tipster mark)

Here's John Maloof's blog - many photos here..

Comments

1. WOW, just...WOW!

Posted by: AggieCowboy | Jan 7, 2011 2:15:25 PM

2. This is the best thing I've seen in ages. It brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful story.

Posted by: dms | Jan 7, 2011 2:19:23 PM

3. Her images are just breathtaking and intimate. I wonder if she was gay?

Posted by: RONTEX | Jan 7, 2011 2:20:25 PM

4. What a story. What a woman, artist.
    But most of all, stunning pics.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jan 7, 2011 2:32:29 PM

5. I want to see all of her pictures NOW.

Posted by: Wes | Jan 7, 2011 2:32:52 PM

6. Incredible. I hope she is finally appreciated.

Posted by: Bruce T. | Jan 7, 2011 2:33:20 PM

7. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbcl2MDtLp0

Additional link showcasing her photos...

Posted by: TCD | Jan 7, 2011 2:36:09 PM

8. I love old street photography and I'm also a Chicagoan so this is thrilling to me. Thank god someone who was smart and curious found these. It will be interesting to see how her work will be viewed after all is said and done.

Thanks for posting this!

Posted by: IAN F | Jan 7, 2011 2:37:02 PM

9. Stunning images, and they appear to have found their way into good hands. Hopefully, we can all share in her genius.

Posted by: Paul Bunion | Jan 7, 2011 2:40:58 PM

10. Incredible. I also want to see her photos now, maybe I'll fly to Chicago.

Posted by: Nate | Jan 7, 2011 2:54:38 PM

11. Just completely blew me away,.... Woww!! Fantastic photography!

Posted by: Zo | Jan 7, 2011 3:42:33 PM

12. Good grief! She already has a Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivian_Maier) and the curator has setup a blogsite (http://www.vivianmaier.blogspot.com).

Great photographer.

Posted by: Cybearsage | Jan 7, 2011 3:42:35 PM

13. Imagine how many other artistic geniuses have lived and are now living in this world, making their art and carrying on, totally unknown to the rest of us!

Posted by: Jack M | Jan 7, 2011 3:49:46 PM

14. What beautiful images, and to think that there are so many that haven't yet been developed. I hope this guy has a good processor experienced in developing and conserving old black and white film.

I can't wait for the published photos.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jan 7, 2011 3:51:38 PM

15. What an extraordinary story! Thank you so very much for sharing this with us.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 7, 2011 4:17:03 PM

16. She seems to have had a great eye for capturing people. The young man on the horse (In Chicago of the 50s? maybe) is really cool.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Jan 7, 2011 4:27:47 PM

17. Check out the photo blog: http://www.vivianmaier.blogspot.com

And the documentary in production: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/800508197/finding-vivian-maier-a-feature-length-documentary

Note the fundraiser has 65 days to go and has already met twice the original goal of 20K.

Posted by: Wes | Jan 7, 2011 4:34:48 PM

18. I hope to see them at MoMA in the near future!

Posted by: AJD | Jan 7, 2011 4:39:03 PM

19. The market for US based Urban photography may have peaked, but with 100,000 photos, you could release 1000 photos per year for 100 years. If the curator is right and 15 per 1000 is museum worthy then we are talking about 1500 total world class pictures. This would be enough to establish her as a brand and allow the sale of her lesser works too.

Posted by: anon | Jan 7, 2011 4:43:04 PM

20. Awesome photos. Love the one of the black woman and the briefly-shown image of a woman shot from the shoulders up with arches behind her.

I'd love to see a photobook.

Posted by: TaliamN | Jan 7, 2011 7:32:24 PM

21. Is it just me or does John Maloof share similar facial features to Vivian Maier. It was the self portrait where she's in that crazy hat holding her camera. Odd. Gorgeous photos.

Posted by: nicholasg | Jan 7, 2011 10:31:32 PM

22. Stunning.

Posted by: Jacknasty | Jan 8, 2011 12:22:09 AM

23. Very moving and inspiring.

Posted by: John Ozed | Jan 8, 2011 12:23:31 AM

24. Thank you so much for posting, the pics are stunningly beautiful and multidimensional. What a find, that guy's gonna be filthy rich.

Posted by: EliBlueEagle | Jan 8, 2011 2:26:31 AM

25. As a frustrated photographer, who documented the Castro in the the 1970's, I may not have more than 5 thousand photos... I have tries to get the attention of various gay organizations to help me document that era, and failed. I have an uncanny memory of most images... but once I go... it will be lost. Ironically, my good friend who is 90, has asked me to help him sell his collection. The only thing... he was a Time-life photographer, with 2 Life Covers and over 50 thousand slides and negs. Like I said, it's frustrating to see someone who is dead, in the lime life. Any suggestions?

Posted by: jerry pritikin | Jan 8, 2011 3:17:43 AM