Comments

1. IAN F says

I love old street photography and I’m also a Chicagoan so this is thrilling to me. Thank god someone who was smart and curious found these. It will be interesting to see how her work will be viewed after all is said and done.

Thanks for posting this!

2. Jack M says

Imagine how many other artistic geniuses have lived and are now living in this world, making their art and carrying on, totally unknown to the rest of us!

3. says

What beautiful images, and to think that there are so many that haven’t yet been developed. I hope this guy has a good processor experienced in developing and conserving old black and white film.

I can’t wait for the published photos.

4. anon says

The market for US based Urban photography may have peaked, but with 100,000 photos, you could release 1000 photos per year for 100 years. If the curator is right and 15 per 1000 is museum worthy then we are talking about 1500 total world class pictures. This would be enough to establish her as a brand and allow the sale of her lesser works too.

5. TaliamN says

Awesome photos. Love the one of the black woman and the briefly-shown image of a woman shot from the shoulders up with arches behind her.

I’d love to see a photobook.

6. nicholasg says

Is it just me or does John Maloof share similar facial features to Vivian Maier. It was the self portrait where she’s in that crazy hat holding her camera. Odd. Gorgeous photos.

7. says

As a frustrated photographer, who documented the Castro in the the 1970’s, I may not have more than 5 thousand photos… I have tries to get the attention of various gay organizations to help me document that era, and failed. I have an uncanny memory of most images… but once I go… it will be lost. Ironically, my good friend who is 90, has asked me to help him sell his collection. The only thing… he was a Time-life photographer, with 2 Life Covers and over 50 thousand slides and negs. Like I said, it’s frustrating to see someone who is dead, in the lime life. Any suggestions?

8. Tigger says

Awesome.

I love urban street photography. I get this crazy rush of adrenaline and nostalgia with just a glimpse. The great industrial cities of the North US have such character and history. Chicago, Boston, NYC, Pittsburgh, Philly, Detroit…

9. Rebecca says

Wow! Just astonishing. So glad that these “valuables” are in the hands of someone that truly cares and is handling them with enormous compassion. Can’t imagine that these treasures could have ended up in a landfill. They were meant to be found, explored and appreciated.