Comments

1. Sancho says

I’d love to see more posts like this – substantial and provocative. I’m age-wise right between the two generations shown in these interviews, and I was fascinated by how different from my life things were for the people 30 years older than I am and how different from my life they are the people 30 years younger.

2. IAN F says

I’m surprised there hasn’t been a mainstream documentary like this before. Someone call Ken Burns! That would be great. Kudos the these kids for running with it. It’s like the WWII documentaries, better do them now before that generation dies out.

3. BobN says

It’s a shame we can’t go back even further to get testimony from the generations before these folks. There was a bit of opening in the 20s and 30s, utterly squelched in the 50s, that goes undocumented. You can find evidence of it in movies with characters who are often mocked but seem quite out.

4. Kyle Sullivan says

Loved the video. My only wish was that they’d been able to talk to more people who’d lived through the 50’s.

Me…I was the 70’s group, when all hell was tearing loose. Sometimes chaos can be fun.

5. Keppler says

What an incredibly inspiring video. We need more of these verbal histories from those who have struggled before us, reminding us of where we’ve come from. We must always remember.

6. Bri says

What a wonderful documentary. I’m bisexual and I was in the military when Don’t Ask, Don’t tell was first initiated. What a trying time that was. Thank you to all the interviewees and to the young kids that asked the questions. It is sad that here we are 60 years later and homosexuals still have fewer rights than their straight counterparts. Thanks again for posting this.

7. Lei says

For me, it was a time of change, excitement, innocence, friends, bars, dancing..”Who Cares” bar was one of the fun bars (1956) Great times, scary at times…Del and Phylis were well known in S.F. as leaders in our community..There was Tommy Vasu, Duff Edwards, crazy fun times. Great memories of youth. Almost got caught in a raid….scary and living on edge! I had it easier as a femme..oh and the dykes were dykes. Handsome women!