James Franco | New York | News | Tennessee Williams | Theatre

James Franco Coming to Broadway in Tennessee Williams Play

Sweetbird

He'll be starring opposite Nicole Kidman in Sweet Bird of Youth, Deadline reports:

"James Franco has formalized his intention to star on Broadway next fall in Sweet Bird of Youth, the David Cromer-directed play that will be produced by Scott Rudin. Negotiations are underway, but both Franco and Kidman are fully committed, I'm told. ...In the revival of the Tennessee Williams play, Kidman will play Alexandra Del Lago, the aging voracious movie star, while Franco will play her gigolo paramour Chance Wayne. Just like that, Broadway has another hot ticket."

Franco and Kidman's roles were originated by Paul Newman and Geraldine Page in the 1959 production, and again in the 1962 film.

Comments

1. Perfect casting

Posted by: jaragon | Feb 2, 2011 12:12:34 PM

2. Young Paul Newman is in the league of his own.
    But one of the few who has looks, talents, guts to potrait the character is James Franco.

Franco and Kidman on same stage, I can smell the success. I wish I could travel and see it on Broadway.

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 2, 2011 12:14:48 PM

3. It's a really great late Williams.Both characters have rich, complex deeply poetic speeches of the sort no one writes anymore.

Hell, no one did THEN -- save for Tennessee Williams.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 2, 2011 12:57:13 PM

4. I suppose that's one way to sell tickets.

Posted by: Sean | Feb 2, 2011 1:08:47 PM

5. Perfect casting, at least for Franco. Kidman, we'll wait and see. She has surprised before with her range and depth.

Posted by: milo | Feb 2, 2011 2:47:57 PM

6. OMG!
    what'll he have to cut off!?!?

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Feb 2, 2011 3:15:27 PM

7. I'm there.

Posted by: Tom | Feb 2, 2011 8:30:52 PM

8. Back in 1962, I met Tennessee Williams, on the week he was on the cover of Time Magazine, and in Miami for the Premier of the movie "Sweet Bird of Youth", and he invited me to go to a party at his Key West home. I turned him down, because I heard that there might be pot smoking there... a few years later I moved to San Francisco and in the Haight- Ashbury discovered the myth about pot was not true.
    (led to hard drugs) and often wondered what if, I had said yes?

Posted by: jerry pritikin | Feb 3, 2011 5:55:46 AM

9. Usually, Broadway is where movie stars go when their careers are beginning to wind down, so this is surprising move for actors.

Posted by: Rick S. | Feb 3, 2011 7:33:29 AM

10. uh oh david cromer? he manages to ruin everything he touches (see, e.g., last year's brighton beach memoirs disaster) and is totally full of himself all the while. yawwwn.

Posted by: jack kough | Feb 3, 2011 10:11:17 AM