Keith Olbermann | News

BigGayDeal.com

Keith Olbermann Announces Move to Current TV

Olbertweet

Keith Olbermann will host a primetime news and commentary show on Current TV, the network reports:

In addition to executive producing and hosting a new nightly primetime news and commentary show, Keith Olbermann will also serve as the company's Chief News Officer and will have an equity stake in Current Media.

The new show will air weeknights in primetime beginning later in 2011.

Said Olbermann: "Nothing is more vital to a free America than a free media, and nothing is more vital to my concept of a free media than news produced independently of corporate interference. In Current Media, Al Gore and Joel Hyatt have created the model truth-seeking entity. The opportunity to partner with Al, Joel and Mark Rosenthal makes this the most exciting venture in my career."

Comments

1. This is BRILLIANT!

I'm so glad he found a new home at Current. I love their shows and the fact that they cover such hard news items.

It makes complete sense to me that they would hire him.

Posted by: Alfonzo | Feb 8, 2011 12:20:03 PM

2. i too cannot wait for this to happen...since msnbc got rid of keith, there has been a huge void in my tv time...

Posted by: RICHB | Feb 8, 2011 12:26:11 PM

3. Is Current TV a separate cable channel? I've never heard of it.

I agree with Keith that news free from corporate influence is the only way to get an unbiased viewpoint. I'd be willing to watch if I knew where I could find the programming.

Posted by: The Milkman | Feb 8, 2011 12:29:40 PM

4. Great move for Keith, Current TV has excellent programming...with Comcast taking majority ownership of NBC and AOL merging with the Huffington Post, there isn't much non corporate controlled media left.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Feb 8, 2011 12:50:28 PM

5. Looks like all three of Current TV's viewers have posted here. Will we be able to see the tumbleweeds on camera during Keith's show?

Posted by: lincolnlounger | Feb 8, 2011 12:54:28 PM

6. Great news! Wow, just wow! What potential for Current TV. I enjoy the channel and once Olbermann is there, I'll be watching it a lot more. I no longer tune into MSNBC at all. I hope he'll be able to entice folks like Stephanie Miller, Rachel Maddow and maybe Ed Schultz to join him there. If done right, Current could rival FOX and attract a big progressive and young audience to counter Fox's regressive and old demographic.

Posted by: Bob R | Feb 8, 2011 12:57:37 PM

7. Please...Olbermann couldn't get the $ he demanded, so he was ditched. Nothing more noble than that.

I must say he was a better fit for that time slot than O'Donnell, who's almost catatonic by comparison.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 8, 2011 1:55:04 PM

8. @Milkman Olberman? Unbiased coverage?

Posted by: Diogenes | Feb 8, 2011 2:07:24 PM

9. @Ratbastard

He still had multiple years left on his contract at MSNBC and was their highest paid employee. Money wasn't the issue.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Feb 8, 2011 2:14:07 PM

10. I hope he takes Rachel with him then I won't have to watch any MSNBC. I am glad I get Current TV. I always catch thier gay programming. Brian Safi does his schtick there.

Posted by: Jersey | Feb 8, 2011 2:46:33 PM

11. "Looks like all three of Current TV's viewers have posted here. Will we be able to see the tumbleweeds on camera during Keith's show?"
    Posted by: lincolnlounger | Feb 8, 2011 12:54:28 PM

... nope. They have already taken occupancy in that thing that passes for a cranium atop your head.

Posted by: dave02657 | Feb 8, 2011 3:13:56 PM

12. And KO's opinion of himself has never been greater...

Posted by: anon | Feb 8, 2011 3:36:52 PM

13. I wish Current would go HD. I'm so tired of blurry tv. Also this will add a little variety to their lineup - right now they show the same seven shows incessantly. Their lineup makes Logo's look fresh.

Posted by: Craig | Feb 8, 2011 6:00:34 PM

14. Might this new alliance with Keith Olbermann represent an opportunity for CurrentTV to return to Al Gore’s original vision of creating a true progressive 24/7 cable news channel that could counter Fox News as explained here?> http://www.economicrefugee.net/keith-olbermann-to-join-currenttv/

Posted by: Reg825 | Feb 8, 2011 8:05:21 PM

15. I was amazed at his tremendous knowledge of almost everything­. He was always making non-sports references that must have confused many viewers. I have only seen one other person who possesed such a vast array of raw knowledge
    outside an academic setting, and seldom there.

Posted by: divorce rate | Feb 9, 2011 7:18:25 AM

16. I'm on Cox cable in Phoenix AZ, does anybody know how to find Current TV? It is not listed, unless it is under a different name. Keep me posted.

Posted by: Jeff Dunivant | Feb 9, 2011 9:34:03 AM

17. Go to http://current.com/ Click on the 'shows' button and a window pops down to let you then click on 'Channel Finder'

Posted by: Christopher | Feb 9, 2011 11:31:01 AM