Lady Gaga | Music | News

Lady Gaga Spent 72 Hours Inside of 'Born This Way' Egg

Gaga_egg

Hmm, wonder how she stayed looking so fresh?

Lady Gaga says she spent 72 hours inside of the egg before she hatched at the Grammys:

"I was in there for about 72 hours. It was a very creative experience...It was time for me to really prepare and think about the meaning of the song and get prepared for the performance. I really wanted to be born on stage. The creative vessel was helpful for me to stay focused. We had it backstage so that I was able to really stay in this sort of creative, embryonic incubation."

Gaga's choreographer Laurieann Gibson confirmed the claim:

"We made sure the Lady was not suffocating with an oxygen tank in there while incubating, checking her new DNA, which was producing this new race. This race does not give up and does not give in."

The LGBT anthem "Born This Way" just became Billboard's 1000th #1 single.

The arrival of "Born This Way" bests the previous debut record on Radio Songs, set when Janet Jackson's "All for You" soared in at No. 9 with 70 million in 2001.

With opening-week digital sales of 448,000, "Born This Way" likewise breaks barriers with the largest debut sum for a female artist. Britney Spears established the prior mark four weeks ago upon, the arrival of "Hold It Against Me" (411,000).

Gibson got more over the top in describing the upcoming video:

"I can't tell you, but I will tell you it is a life-changing experience...Well, actually it's a vessel. When Gaga played me the record, it took me quite some time to feel the direction and the inspiration, and when she played it for me two weeks later, I was like, 'I think I got it.' I said, 'We have to birth a new race, a race that cannot hate.' And, of course, as genius as she is, she runs with it."

Comments

1. Who gives a sh!t about that publicity wh0re?

Posted by: Yawn | Feb 16, 2011 12:12:11 PM

2. I may vomit.

Posted by: Roscoe | Feb 16, 2011 12:13:13 PM

3. A fun song, but there needs to be a major campaign to stop release of this video if she does not amend the culturally incompetent lyrics. Hundreds are repeating the term "orient" to refer to Asian folks. It gets old just waiting for white allies to fail like this. She needs smarter people around her. Her intent was actually incredibly lovely, but ignorance ruined the execution and she needs to step up and amend.

Posted by: Mrs. Sippi | Feb 16, 2011 12:13:34 PM

4. Ohhhh, this is so gonna rile up the haters! Haha. Reel them in, gogo Gaga :)

Posted by: Jedd | Feb 16, 2011 12:13:55 PM

5. so she didn't take a shower for three days...

Posted by: radd | Feb 16, 2011 12:25:20 PM

6. All that trouble to make a Cheese Omlette

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 16, 2011 12:28:27 PM

7. There was a great line in the Daily Beast's article that Towleroad linked yesterday:

"Eric Ord, an openly gay chap working in New York in commercial real estate, said, 'I think she sees herself as the gay messiah and it bugs me.' According to him, the song would be like 'white people writing a song about breaking free from slavery and expecting black people to worship us for it.' (To be fair, Lady Gaga has said she's attracted to both men and women.)"

That aside, what a genius she is, hatching out of that egg after sitting in it for 3 days! Incredible genius! I haven't seen that level of genius since David Blaine!

Posted by: luminum | Feb 16, 2011 12:29:50 PM

8. Were there any bathroom breaks? You can't hold it that long. What about eating?

I don't buy it.

Posted by: The Milkman | Feb 16, 2011 12:32:07 PM

9. I would like her to stay inside that egg for a little while longer... how about 72 weeks?

Posted by: Roy | Feb 16, 2011 12:32:53 PM

10. Shouldn't her song be titled, "Hatched This Way."

Tired of all the goo goo over GaGa, again, still,...always will.

Posted by: castaway | Feb 16, 2011 12:32:54 PM

11. Lying as "performance art" is boring.
    She wonders why there is such a backlash ?

I really hope Stefanie matures - right now she has far too many "art school" / "club kid" pretensions.

Posted by: reality 101 | Feb 16, 2011 12:33:54 PM

12. So Gaga was lying in caca?

Perfect.

Posted by: The Grinch | Feb 16, 2011 12:36:01 PM

13. I appreciate the fact that she's a tireless advocate of gay rights, but this sounds lie a scene from Zoolander.

Posted by: DJSauvage | Feb 16, 2011 12:40:07 PM

14. Oh, c'mon, this is sheer showmanship and lots of fun. I don't buy that she was in it for 72 hours straight, but...who cares?

What about this Laurieann? She's the one from MAKING THE BAND (anyone? anyone?) and she is saying GaGa is a genius based on the fact that GaGa accepted on of Laurieann's ideas and ran with it. :0)

I like the concept of a new race that can't hate. At least it's a concept and not just, "Here's a song some famous writer sold to my label and aren't my boobs pretty?" She's interesting, and when she's not interesting, she's still pretty fun.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Feb 16, 2011 12:40:14 PM

15. "Cracking the Egg" is the new "Jumping the Shark"

The beginning of the end....

Posted by: Paul | Feb 16, 2011 12:42:02 PM

16. Funny how quickly the gays turn against someone who is on our side, eh?

Anyway, I like the song. I like her. But compare her Grammys performance with Cee-Lo's "Forget You" performance done up in feathers with a puppet band (!) and Gwyneth Paltrow. Both are outrageous and over-the-top. Once has a sense of humor and one decidedly does not.

This is how we lost Madonna. She started taking herself too seriously. But Gaga has sent some kind of land speed record for it. I respect how seriously she takes her art and her mission, but girl needs to lighten up.

Posted by: FilmTurtle | Feb 16, 2011 12:44:32 PM

17. it should be noted that her sales figures for "Born This Way" are during 3 days only. it was released on a Friday instead of the Tuesday before. im guessing a full 7 days would have put her closer to 1 million ....impressive stuff!!

Posted by: jj | Feb 16, 2011 12:57:18 PM

18. Impressive to whom?

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 16, 2011 1:01:22 PM

19. That's quite some time in that egg...if it's true. Though I kinda doubt it considering the egg that she was carried in and the one she crawled out of look to be two entirely different creations.

Posted by: phillip | Feb 16, 2011 1:07:03 PM

20. On Jay Leno she said she was in there for three days then the next sentence she said two days before the performance she changed all the costumes!

Posted by: Dave | Feb 16, 2011 1:34:05 PM

21. Yes, a tireless advocate of gay rights she is, and damn her for that. On second thought, damn the bitchy queens.

Posted by: dattexas | Feb 16, 2011 1:39:20 PM

22. Generic comment lauding her revolutionary ideas followed by another generic comment contemplating the ingenuity necessary to carry them out.

@Mrs. Sippi though, REAL TALK. Edward Said would have a field day!

Posted by: Jesus | Feb 16, 2011 1:40:32 PM

23. She's a tireless advocate for herself.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 16, 2011 1:52:12 PM

24. LOVE LOVE LOVE her!

Posted by: TANK | Feb 16, 2011 1:53:20 PM

25. 72 hrs? that's a lot of coke shes doing.

Posted by: daveny | Feb 16, 2011 2:03:53 PM