Anthony Brown | Gay Marriage | Maryland | News

Watch: Thomas Roberts Tells Maryland Lt. Governor Anthony Brown He'd Like to Marry There

Roberts_brown

MSNBC's Thomas Roberts, a Maryland native, talks to Lt. Governor Anthony Brown about chances for marriage equality in the state. Brown reiterates his support for equality, and Roberts tells him that someday he hopes to take advantage of it in his home state.

Last week Brown released a statement expressing his support for the bill currently making its way through the legislature: “I have always believed that all Marylanders should have an equality of rights and responsibilities and that includes marriage equality."

Comments

1. I saw this live, and I wondered how long it would take to show up here. It was kind of a sweet moment.

Posted by: Kevin B | Feb 9, 2011 5:07:00 PM

2. This is why I have so much more respect for Roberts than for a certain other gay news anchor. He is completely matter-of-fact about his sexuality. That is pride.

Posted by: Andrew W | Feb 9, 2011 5:12:56 PM

3. That Lt Gov is awesome- articulate, smart, and handsome. I expect we will be seeing him elected to a higher office someday.

Posted by: homer | Feb 9, 2011 5:13:48 PM

4. Hotter than the certain other gay news anchor too.

Posted by: Adrian | Feb 9, 2011 5:14:50 PM

5. I think Anthony Brown is good looking and masculine. And I like those things in men. How can he look so young (at 49)?
    And he has good opinion on this issue.

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 9, 2011 5:14:53 PM

6. I want Lieutenant Governor Anthony Brown to be my U.S. President!!

Posted by: peterparker | Feb 9, 2011 6:07:53 PM

7. 1)Maryland definitely has the sexiest Governor/Lt. Governor duo in the nation. I defy anyone to find me a state with better looking heads-of-state.

2)This may be a dumb question, but can anyone tell me why he kept saying "same-gender" instead of "same-sex" (at one point even correcting himself when he almost said sex instead of gender)? I've heard a couple of other people say this before and one of my friends told me we should start saying gender instead of sex but I'm curious as to why. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by: Matt | Feb 9, 2011 7:37:51 PM

8. Yeah, why can't Anderson Cooper be so matter of fact and open?

Posted by: hurry up and come out anderson | Feb 9, 2011 7:41:37 PM

9. That is one fine LT. Governor! Does he have a wife? Cause if he doesn't I'm ready to step up to the plate.

Posted by: Frank | Feb 9, 2011 7:48:29 PM

10. The word sex carries too many connotations even in this day and age. The word gender is a much more neutral and non-threatening term for politicians to use.

Posted by: fred | Feb 9, 2011 7:50:06 PM

11. Another hot biracial politicial.

Posted by: Javier | Feb 9, 2011 8:02:21 PM

12. I believe, the term "sex" is ordinarily used to refer to biology. "Gender" is usually used in grammar to refer to a masculine or feminine word or part of speech, not an issue in the English language.

Posted by: lileasy | Feb 9, 2011 8:22:04 PM

13. Gender is also used for identification and presentation. So someone could be biologically male (sex), but identify and present as female (gender).

That said, in the states that restrict marriage to one man & one woman, it's the sex that counts. The only question is when that includes a transsexual. In some states it's the birth sex that counts or if someone marries before transition.

In this case, I guess he's trying to sound less threatening while being inaccurate.

Posted by: David R. | Feb 9, 2011 10:34:23 PM

14. I understand that this is a good thing, but words need to be chosen very carefully. It's important for our opponents to know that this isn't just about 'two people of the same sex being able to marry' regardless of their sexual orientation, it's about gay men and women having equal treatment under the law. Anything less diminishes our fight for what is clearly the civil rights issue of our time.

Posted by: Tre | Feb 10, 2011 12:51:18 AM

15. To Matt re: the same-gender/same-sex terminology. It appears that Lt. Gov. Brown is using the term 'same-gender' as a way to diffuse the prevailing idea that 'same-sex' relationships are only about sex. When we hear 'same-sex marriage', 'same-sex partners', 'same-sex relationships', etc, etc. what word is focused on by the religious right or culture in general? ...of course, ...SEX. 'Homosexual' used to be the term, which is very clinical sounding. Then along came 'same-sex' which really doesn't doesn't help our fight for equality. In my opinion, when you use 'same-gender' it sounds more respectful. Maybe that is what he is trying for.

Posted by: CeeVee | Feb 10, 2011 1:12:16 PM

16. Let's hope the Maryland legislature shows more maturity than the juvenile bigots in Iowa.

Posted by: wimsy | Feb 10, 2011 5:26:58 PM

17. @Matt: All the dictionaries I've seen have definitions off gender that refer to male and/or female identity as well as gramatical categories and sex as refering to male and/or female biology as well as to the activity of "having sex."
    Sometimes I choose whichever word is more clear in the context.
    For example, if I ask a bisexual, "Tell me what sex most turns you on?" he might reply, "Woman on top with scented candles in the room."
    But maybe I meant "male or female," so replacing the word sex with gender would be more clear (because in this case "sex" could mean two things, while "gender" can only mean one thing (it can't mean the grammatical sense of the word.)

Also, as others noted, some segments of society can't seem to get their mind out of the gutter when the word or syllable "sex" is involved. They hear "homoSEXual" or "same-sex" and they get vivid pictures in their head of what sexual positions they IMAGINE gay men like (often whatever rumors they heard on the playground).
    If they hear a phrase like "a household of two people who are of the same gender," it may be easier to keep their mind in line with the track we're really talking about.

Posted by: GregV | Feb 10, 2011 6:41:41 PM