Gay Marriage | Mormon | News | Proposition 8

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Mormon Mom Reposts Video Speaking Out for Same-Sex Marriage Despite Threats from Church Officials

Melanie

Melanie, a married Mormon mother of five, a loyal member of the Church of Latter Day Saints, and a self-described "disciple of Christ", made the following video in 2008 in reaction to the Mormon church's campaign to pass Proposition 8 and remove marriage rights from gay people.

After threats from church officials, she took it down, but this week reposted it.

Melanie writes:

I did not discuss the video with my local leaders before making it public, but they were directed to it by church headquarters. At the end of some very heart felt discussions, my speaking out with this video threatened my temple recommend and my calling, and I ultimately chose to take it down to protect my standing in the church.

I have lived to regret the decision. And so today, in honor of the Valentine legend and in support of the love that drives so many of us to share our lives with each other, I stand up once more in favor of marriage, all marriage, with my Prop 8 video.

Watch Melanie's video which demonstrates what it is like to be Christ-like, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. That's awesome! Just goes to show that you can't judge people in monolothic groups. As bad as the Mormon church has been in the Prop. 8 story, it's good to be reminded that the church is still made up of people, individuals who can think for themselves, even if they choose not to.

Posted by: Austin | Feb 16, 2011 1:51:11 PM

2. Contrary to popular opinion there are many good Mormons. See the mormonsfor marriage.com website and read for yourself.

The church hierarchy? Refer to the Catholics for that example. Many US Catholics are socially liberal and support marriage equality. The Vatican, however, is like the Mormon Church, also opposed to gay people and our standing in society.

The cracks are showing in the "defense of marriage" crusade.

Posted by: Jonathan | Feb 16, 2011 2:05:38 PM

3. I'm glad people are speaking out in favor of civil rights. The bookshelves behind her remind me of Huckabee's "floating cross"

Posted by: PriceCut | Feb 16, 2011 2:06:35 PM

4. @ “Threats from church officials”

How very Christ-like.

Posted by: ichabod | Feb 16, 2011 2:10:50 PM

5. She is too smart for that church.
    She's much closer to the Christ than the church officials.
    She has taken a huge step and I wish her all the best. She is on a right road.

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 16, 2011 2:15:57 PM

6. This was really inspiracional to watch.. thanks for posting it!

Posted by: Faire argent internet | Feb 16, 2011 2:17:37 PM

7. Good for her. Very brave. During Prop 8's aftermath, my sister (she's still an active Mormon, I'm obviously not) felt very conflicted about speaking her mind on the subject and worried she'd be disciplined as well. Friends of hers in her congregation spoke openly about their support of Prop 8 in front of her - they only apologized and softened their rhetoric in front of her until after they heard that her brother was gay and she supported him. It's a shame that Church leaders will use threats to keep their members silent and that people feel the need to keep silent due to social pressure within the Church. I hope more follow this woman's bravery.

Posted by: Ben | Feb 16, 2011 2:37:57 PM

8. Mormonism is a cult by any definition of the word. Not a church. They aren't as violent and dangerous as Scientology, but they nonetheless engage in serve forms of coercion - through threats and social ostracism - in order to achieve blind obedience and subservience. Because Mormonism is really a lifestyle and not just a faith, shunning and exclusion has a tremendous effect on people.

Posted by: Steve | Feb 16, 2011 2:58:53 PM

9. This is very courageous of her - I applaud her integrity and strength!

The Mormons are not nice - and their tactics to keep everyone in line are definitely cult-like. It will be interesting to see what lies in her future with the church. I wish her the best.

Posted by: Steve | Feb 16, 2011 3:53:49 PM

10. 1. Never ever make the mistake of taking a woman's morality or politics seriously.

2. Its funny, atraight men are figuring out that marriage, in its current legal incarnation, is a joke. As they are rightfully fleeing the institution, we are clamoring for our chance to occupy its smoldering ruin. They will let us. Don't worry. But thats just because marriage's days as a vital, civilization building institution are LOOONG over. We will have our day to play in the abandoned castle, but we won't (and have no reason) to defend or maintain it. It was never meant for us.

Gentlemen, this is a societal death spasm; just another milestone in the West's accelerating decline.

Posted by: Regularkid | Feb 16, 2011 4:58:28 PM

11. Regularkid: Congratulations!!! You just made Moron of the Day!!!

Posted by: New jersey boi | Feb 16, 2011 5:37:33 PM

12. Way to go! Thanks for standing up and making some very good points.

Posted by: Eric | Feb 16, 2011 5:42:02 PM

13. I find it interesting that some opinions here are commending this woman for standing up but condeming mormons in general at the same time. Her entire statement is that we should all strive to love others including those who don't believe the same things we do. It's unfair to make generalizations about the mormon church when clearly this woman stands as proof that there are open-minded and compansionate individuals who are memebers of this church (She is by far not the only one). I think this is not only a lesson in acceptance of gay marriage, but stands as a lesson in acceptance of all people of all beleifs. Love and compasion should not be based on whether or not you agree with someone's thoughts or actions... yeah, that includes the mormons.

Posted by: Amanda | Feb 16, 2011 6:24:58 PM

14. I hope more people think for themselves and not follow the church blindly

Posted by: Stephen | Feb 16, 2011 6:25:07 PM

15. u go momma!!

Posted by: sal | Feb 16, 2011 7:24:47 PM

16. "some opinions here are commending this woman for standing up but condeming mormons in general"

I think for the most part people are commending this woman, and condemning the *institution* of the Mormon church, as it currently stands, not its individual members. The institution first coerced Melanie into removing her video. I admire her courage in putting it back up. The institution is in the wrong. Hopefully more and more of its individual members will have the courage to stand up for what is right.

Posted by: Whatever | Feb 16, 2011 7:49:13 PM

17. "My marriage can only be protected as much as the marriage that is least respected in our society right now."

What an excellent riff on the "that which you do to the least among us" admonition from Jesus. Well done, madam!

That and her inverting the idea of the "slippery slope" (i.e. what are we risking when we say you *can't* to this) both make me want to hug this woman.

Thank you, Melanie! I'm so glad when people like you become mothers and fathers. It gives me a lot of hope for the future. I bet your kids are awesome!

Posted by: anotherG | Feb 16, 2011 8:03:26 PM

18. She's awesome. People like her are the cure to bigotry. There's absolutely no need for Mormons to be homophobic, they need to take her advice and speak out to their church elders. That's not an easy thing to do, particularly in the Mormon church, but their faith is tarnished when their leaders are the leaders of homophobia and intolerance in this country.

Posted by: Ryan | Feb 17, 2011 1:28:08 AM

19. Organized religion is so gay- and the service is good theater. Music, lighting, incense, drama- it's a floor show at times, so they feel the need to keep the gay element in check, lest it take over.

Moreover, organized religion is about power over groups of people- power that is meaningless if it isn't occasionally exerted and power to keep people having lots babies for new members.

The Catholic hospital where I admit patients just upped the ante on birth control- not only refusing to do vasectomies and tubal ligations, but now is checking our offices to see if we even distribute information about birth control. Guess they want more little boys to be made....

Anyway, thanks Melanie. You are an articulate, smart woman appropriately testing your confines. Organized religion will bring you benefits, but at a cost I'm not sure you're willing to continue paying. Critical thinking and religion make an uncomfortable pair, as you are seeing. I think you're out of Eden, and I don't think you can ever go back.

Posted by: Rob | Feb 17, 2011 6:53:46 AM

20. Well this is definitely the second Mormon (and most likely her family) I would love to have in my neighborhood or meet. The other left the church and she stays with it, standing up to it. I hope her convictions don't falter and she can continue her good message. Thank you Melanie.

Posted by: Todd | Feb 17, 2011 11:22:46 AM

21. Ok I watched the video. This is her opinion. She belongs to the Church of Jesus Christ of Ladder day Saints. Not church of Ladderday Saints. My church is not a cult like one has stated. You do not know my religion. Also, I am a very nice person. This is a moral issue. I have a gay brother. I love him, he and his partner are always welcome in my home. I do not teach that gay people are bad. It is a choice. Get over yourselves people. My church has a moral obligation to teach rightous principles. Yes we must love everyone. But do I have to agree with a gay or lesbian practice. NO I DO NOT!!!! That is my choice.
    As far as this gal being threatend. What and how have they threatend her? By taking away her temple recommend. You who are not of our faith do not even know what a temple is let alone a recommend. So I really do not see any threat here.

Posted by: cynthia curtiss | Feb 17, 2011 11:44:15 AM

22. RegularKid:

I totally disagree with your first point, and completely share your second one. I'm for marriage equality in so far as I want the same right to marry as any one else. But that doesn't mean I would ever use it. I have never, do not now, and will never want to enter into marriage; it's a dying institution that was created by straights and for straights and even they don't want it anymore.

Posted by: christopher | Feb 17, 2011 12:32:33 PM

23. Cynthia:

I'll leave it to others to judge whether a faith founded in 1830 by a delusional confidence man is a cult or a religion. But, you really need to educate yourself about gays if you expect your brother and his partner to feel truly welcome and not merely tolerated-with-disgust in your home. It's not a choice.

Posted by: christopher | Feb 17, 2011 12:53:30 PM

24. Cynthia:

Actually, she belongs to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. With two Ts, not Ds. And a hyphen!

Posted by: Chris | Feb 17, 2011 2:54:20 PM

25. Cynthia:

Its a not a choice by anymeans. I am a happy, gay Mormon. The church i have high respects for, but it is lead by people who are making it diffcult for people like myself, able to follow the gospel, and go to church without being harassed. Its not up to who is on this earth to make decsions for us, its up to our heavenly father. You dont have to agree with, but we dont have to put up with it either. Its up to the lord not the saints here on earth.

Posted by: Drew | Feb 17, 2011 3:14:45 PM