Chicago | News | weather

BigGayDeal.com

Photo: Abandoned Cars in Snow on Chicago's Lake Shore Drive

Lakeshoredrive

Incredible shot of northbound Lake Shore Drive on Tuesday morning,  from the Chicago Tribune. (note: they might mean Wednesday?)

UPDATE: Check out some video, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via buzzfeed)

Earlier...
Satellite photo: Snowstorm! [tr]

Comments

1. That is amazing!! Hope everyone got to somewhere warm!

Thanks for sharing!

Michael
    CCO OutMaturity.com

Posted by: Michael | Feb 2, 2011 12:58:15 PM

2. Crazy storm last night. They had firemen on snowmobiles in order to rescue everyone stranded in their cars and buses.

Posted by: Damen | Feb 2, 2011 1:30:42 PM

3. I was a little surprised to hear that the record storm for Chicago was only 21". No lake effect snow for them!

Posted by: anon | Feb 2, 2011 2:03:02 PM

4. Chicago's record is 23". Lake effect snow usually hit the southern and western shores of Lake Michigan, not the Eastern. This storm was really cool because we had 60MPH wind and thunder & lightening on top of the 20" of snow. The sky had an orangy glow all night.

Posted by: Damen | Feb 2, 2011 2:09:31 PM

5. Wow, I thought we had it bad in Montreal.

Posted by: nikko | Feb 2, 2011 2:14:45 PM

6. Yeah, I reread the article and it was 23", which is still nothing compared to NYC, Philly or Boston. I think Chicago is on the SW shore of the lake. Buffalo is most famous for lake effect snow, I suppose.

Posted by: anon | Feb 2, 2011 2:24:44 PM

7. That blue tinted Chicago Trib photo is right out of some science fiction movie!

Posted by: Paul | Feb 2, 2011 2:27:04 PM

8. OK, now this IS just as bad as the New Years storm of 1999.

Thank goodness I'm not moving into a new apartment today as I was on 1/1/99...

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Feb 2, 2011 2:27:38 PM

9. Chicago is on the western side, my typo- mistake. That side rarely gets too much lake effect.

Posted by: Damen | Feb 2, 2011 2:28:31 PM

10. Now would you yankees please stop making fun of how badly Southerners drive in the snow?

Posted by: Doug | Feb 2, 2011 2:46:13 PM

11. Great photos, I love the snow, makes the city look clean for a day, before the grey slush moves in. What I find funny is how with the 24/7 media every snow fall is an event.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Feb 2, 2011 2:52:04 PM

12. I think they've become events because of climate change concerns and the fact that this winter has been especially brutal in many major cities. If it doesn't hit cities, it doesn't get as much coverage.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 2, 2011 3:13:09 PM

13. all i know it downtown, the loop is pretty deserted. not much open. only about half the people in my office came in today at all and some of those already left due to train schedules.

Posted by: jw | Feb 2, 2011 3:59:49 PM

14. Great pictures! I'm surprised their record is only 23 inches which is nothing compared to what NYC gets from it's coastal storms.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Feb 2, 2011 5:14:01 PM

15. Still, better to go through this than what's happening in Australia.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Feb 2, 2011 7:07:13 PM

16. I don't understand why so many people ignored the warnings to stay home. Businesses should shut down and tell their people not to come in unless they're first or second responders. There was plenty of warning on this one.

Posted by: David R. | Feb 2, 2011 11:59:54 PM

17. "Now would you yankees please stop making fun of how badly Southerners drive in the snow?"

There is a HUGE difference between 23 inches of snow and 2 to 3 inches of snow. Unfortunately many southerners haven't experienced driving in any measurable amount of snow and many towns are not prepared with either the skill or equipment to handle such snowfall.

But honestly, nobody should take driving in snow and/or ice anything but totally seriously.

Posted by: ThomTT | Feb 3, 2011 8:49:51 AM

18. That is scary! I listened to an interview with a woman who said she was stuck in her car for nearly 12 hours!

Posted by: jamal49 | Feb 3, 2011 11:57:59 AM