Senator Dianne Feinstein: I’ll Introduce Legislation to Repeal DOMA

Feinstein Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) has issued a statement following news that the Justice Dept. will no longer defend Section 3 of DOMA in court:

"As a Member of the Judiciary Committee, it is my intention to introduce legislation that will once and for all repeal the Defense of Marriage Act. My own belief is that when two people love each other and enter the contract of marriage, the Federal government should honor that. I opposed the Defense of Marriage Act in 1996. It was the wrong law then; it is the wrong law now; and it should be repealed."

Comments

1. Paul R says

Hmm, that’s funny. Because in 2004 she said it was too early for same-sex marriage and blamed SF Mayor Newsom for Kerry losing to Bush because he legalized it.

I realize that timing is everything in politics, and she does too—knowing this will go nowhere but give her liberal creds.

2. karin1492 says

To be fair to Senator Feinstein, she did vote against DOMA in 1996 when it was incredibly unpopular to be against DOMA. It’s not like she’s changing her position on the issue. She’s always been against it.

3. says

The Senator has always been in favor of gay rights AND if she were really trying to wait and do this when it’s safe, she wouldn’t be introducing this in the middle of the culture wars that NOM and the Tea Party has begun waging.

4. Sam says

No, she could have done it when it would actually have happened.

This is a waste of time and only managed to distract from the Republican failures in the House since they took over.

My only hope is that with each passing year, Americans tire of this argument and particularly this year when so many have so many other pressing concerns.

I praise the call for repeal, but the House will never agree to it. It’s a dead issue.

5. says

Oh let’s give DiFi the b.o.t.d.* and pretend she has a Liebermanesque plan** to roll DOMA repeal thru the Senate.

*Benefit Of The You’ve-Got-to-be-Kidding-Me

**hey, he gets some credit for getting DADT out of the legal code … doesn’t he?

6. TonyJ says

She was the BEST person on video during the prop 8 campaign, so I forgave her for her unfortunate turn as mayor of San Francisco (when she tried to turn SF into Kansas City)…

Good for her! I’m proud that she is my senator.

7. Pete n SFO says

“It’s just too much, too soon.”

That’s what she said when Newsom rightly recognized that the ‘legal justification’ for outlawing marriage for gay people was overturned. Not a word about discrimination, and that comment nearly a week after marriages had been taking place.

Call me craZy, but somehow it’s always more unforgivable when a stupid comment like that comes from a woman, a person of color, a Jewish person, basically anyone from a group that has had to fight for its rights from a majority.

I know she definitely falls in the ‘supporter’ category, but I still have a difficult time excusing that missed opportunity for real leadership.

8. Terrance says

’tis a doggone shame this didn’t happen, oh, say in November/December, when we still had majorities in both the House and Senate…

Who knows what the bill, if there is one, will end up attached to (my guess: a billion-dollar tax-refund for all billionaires, paid for by scrapping Medicaid!)

9. says

The marriage police love DOMA.

Why didn’t Brand Obama deal with DOMA when the Dems were in “power” given the fact that his own parents would have been barred from marrrying in certain states just a few short decaded ago?

Onward to full marriage equality rights now.
    Cheers,