Democratic Party | Jim Webb | News

Senator Jim Webb (D-VA) to Retire After One Term

Senator Jim Webb (D-VA) will not seek reelection, he said in a a statement today:

Webb "After much thought and consideration I have decided to return to the private sector, where I have spent most of my professional life, and will not seek re-election in 2012."

Writes Chris Cillizza at the WaPo:

Webb's announcement, which came this morning in the form of a statement from his office, was not terribly surprising to Democratic observers who had long believed that the Senator was a toss up -- at best -- to run for a second term.

Regardless, Webb is the third Democratic (or Democratic-affiliated) Senator to call it quits already this year, joining Sens. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) and Kent Conrad (N.D.) on the sidelines. Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison is the lone Republican to announce she will not seek re-election in 2012.

While holding the Connecticut seat should pose limited problems -- if any -- for Democrats, both Virginia and North Dakota have deep Republican roots and will be major targets for Republicans in 2012.

Comments

1. Well...that was a waste of time.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Feb 9, 2011 1:12:15 PM

2. A waste of time? He kept that seat Democratic for 6 years. Without which, the Senate would have managed to do even less than it did already.

Sadly (or maybe it is a good thing), George Allen is gunning for that seat. I don't know if Virginia is ready to have him back. Let's hope not.

Posted by: Sam | Feb 9, 2011 1:25:59 PM

3. 1, maybe 2 more Senate seats go to the GOP.

Still mocking and insulting GOProud for trying to get conservatives to get on board with gay rights???

Posted by: Tim | Feb 9, 2011 1:33:05 PM

4. @Tim, Yes.

Posted by: Fenrox | Feb 9, 2011 1:44:56 PM

5. Jews For Hitler (aka. GOProud) is ever-so easy to mock.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 9, 2011 2:01:33 PM

6. Good riddance. He didn't support DADT repeal and, though he is in a mixed race marriage (something he couldn't do in his state prior to 1967) he doesn't support marriage equality.

Tim Kaine should run for the seat. Get him out of the DNC chair position, where he SUCKS and get him to hold the seat for the Democrats. He would be more progressive than Webb in the Senate.

Two birds with one stone!

Posted by: TampaZeke | Feb 9, 2011 2:29:28 PM

7. For all the trouble, work, sweat, and money it takes to get elected a U.S. senator, from Virgina no less, quiting after one term is a big let down.

I think being a senator is the best political position you can achieve in the U.S. I'd much rather be a senator than even president.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 9, 2011 2:46:20 PM

8. and I bet he gets a cushy benefit package for life...

and like the rest of them, he likely doesn't even need it.

Someone should introduce a bill to forgo indulgent benefit packages for people with personal wealth over $3m.

Posted by: pete N sfo | Feb 9, 2011 2:46:56 PM

9. 'I think being a senator is the best political position you can achieve in the U.S. I'd much rather be a senator than even president"

All right, Ratbastard! I see you've already begun giving your campaign speech...but, you've got to wait until they give the District of Columbia its proper representation in the Congress. I'll work on your campaign if you'll let me handle ALL the money.

With your record on race relations, and when Washingtonians get to know the real you...well, the voters in our nation's capital will love you. You betcha'!

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 9, 2011 3:07:40 PM

10. @Derrick,

YOU DON'T KNOW ME. I don't come from a lilly white background...the opposite actually. Maybe that's why I'm comfortable talking about race issues whereas most white people automatically shy away or give a pat answer or response. Can't pull the wool over my eyes Derrick. I know things from experience, not a PBS documentary.

Why DC LOL! I hate DC. It's a sucky town; and since you're so sensitive about race issues Derrick, there's no racial connection to my dislike of DC.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 9, 2011 4:48:24 PM

11. Webb was an *okay* Senator for Virginia. Yeah, it has Republican roots, and yeah, it will be a tough seat to hold, but people do need to remember the demographics there are changing and it's slowly but surely shifting toward blue. If a Tea Bagger nut gets nominated, we'll definitely have a strong shot, and if George Allen gets renominated (which is not at all a given, since the Tea Baggers are going after him), we'll still have a decent chance.

This could easily end up like the nearby Delaware in the last election -- a Christine-O'Donnell-like crazy wins the nomination and we can win the seat. Furthermore, the momentum may shift dramatically in the upcoming election, and presidential years drive out a bluer crowd across the nation. Because of how many Democrats are up for reelection this session in tough seats (compared to a very few Republicans, and most of them in safe seats), chances are we will lose the Senate -- but it's too soon to suggest this will be one of those states.

Posted by: Ryan | Feb 9, 2011 6:40:28 PM

12. I'm glad he's talking retirement. Being the wife of a vietnam era vet, I was appalled to read his comments concerning compensation for those with multiple health issues due to agent orange exposure. I don't believe he bothered to really study all the information regarding the effects of exposure of that toxic chemical. That being the case, how can we trust him in making other decisions concerning the welfare of Virginia citizens?!?? Good riddance.

Posted by: Atlanta Roofing | Feb 9, 2011 8:25:08 PM

13. Let's hope that the Republicans nominate Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli. A poll showed the polarizing figure was losing to Webb by 12 points. It could be Delaware all over again, Democrats were supposed to lose that seat. Crazy right wingers also went down to defeat in Colorado and Nevada.

The Republicans seem even more clueless now than they did in 1995, when Gingrich's heavy-handed tactics gave Clinton a re-election victory. His drive for impeachment (despite his own affair) resulted made Republicans lose seats in 1996 and 1998.

Posted by: georgiaguy | Feb 10, 2011 1:39:05 AM