Gay Marriage | Iowa | News

Watch: 19-Year-Old Iowan Zach Wahls' Electrifying Speech in Support of His Gay Moms

Zachwahls

"Actually, I was raised by a gay couple and I'm doing pretty well."

As I mentioned earlier, the House today passed Joint Resolution 6, approving an amendment to go before voters which would ban all same-sex unions in the state.

This was from last night's public hearings on the measure.

The bigots need to just give up now because teens like Zach Wahls are the reason they will eventually lose.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. What an awesome kid!!!

Posted by: FAEN | Feb 1, 2011 6:30:01 PM

2. See? This why they hate gay marriage. WE CAN DO IT BETTER THAN THEY CAN!!!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 1, 2011 6:30:28 PM

3. When will queers learn? You can't argue away homophobia because bigotry is irrational. You can't "enlighten" away discrimination. You can only fight it and end it.

Posted by: Who cares | Feb 1, 2011 6:30:45 PM

4. what an amazing person!!!

Posted by: Matt | Feb 1, 2011 6:32:19 PM

5. Bravo, young man.

Posted by: michael | Feb 1, 2011 6:32:21 PM

6. That's a speech. What perfect words.

I can only imagine how proud his parents are of him.

Posted by: Henry blackman | Feb 1, 2011 6:35:52 PM

7. This young man needs to run for office!

Posted by: six | Feb 1, 2011 6:36:39 PM

8. What a fantastic speech! And a great guy. Clearly his parents did a wonderful job. To me it's simply impossible to listen to Zach and think that there is any rational justification whatsoever for treating gay couples and families differently than anyone else.

Posted by: E. | Feb 1, 2011 6:37:40 PM

9. So amazing. And who cares, I agree with you to a certain extent but a lot of bigotry is based on ignorance. Remove that ignorance, and that bigotry will be removed from the minds of many. That's why you see such a big difference between the younger and older generations on this issue, ignorance.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 1, 2011 6:39:51 PM

10. The sexual orientation of his parents has had a GREAT effect in the content of his character. They brought up a GREAT kid and they brought him up right!!

Posted by: Edd | Feb 1, 2011 6:41:09 PM

11. Wow. I sure hope this young man has an interest in lawmaking.

Posted by: sparks | Feb 1, 2011 6:51:47 PM

12. Yet 62 men and women sat through that speech and STILL voted for bigotry. 59 Republicans (every one) joined by 3 Democrats.

Posted by: KevinVT | Feb 1, 2011 6:56:44 PM

13. An Eagle Scout? He's got to know that people like his mothers (men) would be kicked out of that organization ...

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Feb 1, 2011 6:57:23 PM

14. now thats SEXY

Posted by: jj | Feb 1, 2011 6:58:32 PM

15. :-(

no video is visible for me. I wish I could see it for me self.

is it on youTube as well?

Posted by: me | Feb 1, 2011 7:07:23 PM

16. I saw this guy in the highlight reel you posted earlier - thanks for putting up the entire speech.

After feeling down about today's vote for a couple hours, I remembered that when a similar no-gay-union-of-any-kind constitutional amendment went to Arizona voters in 2006, even this rabidly conservative state said no.

Not saying we should be cocky or unconcerned, but really, I don't think the voters will go for this even once - let alone the two votes required to amend the Iowa constitution.

Posted by: DN | Feb 1, 2011 7:16:03 PM

17. The question is Candidate(fill in the blank) Why are you voting to destroy great American Families----roll the video!!!

Posted by: PLAINTOM | Feb 1, 2011 7:16:49 PM

18. @WhoCares: He is fighting discrimination, by telling the truth of his family. Irrational bigotry doesn't stand up to his truth. It may not have changed many votes today, but stories like his change minds over time. Hearings like this--and other public forums, and pro-equality booths at the state fairs etc.--were very effective for our side in VT, and now there is no going back. The same can be true in IA.

Bravo, Zach. And bravo to your Moms for raising such a thoughtful and articulate kid.

Posted by: Ernie | Feb 1, 2011 7:25:44 PM

19. Loved this kids message!!! A bit dissappointed,hHis delivery was not that great for me...do they have Brooklyn accents in Iowa? He's got the looks and the message, just needs to relax, polish his delivery, and learn how to connect with people, and this kid will be a great speaker!

Posted by: Ian | Feb 1, 2011 7:27:14 PM

20. Please Andy get this clip over to Rachel Maddow as this needs to go viral! We need to support this young man in every way, and yes we need more like him and his generation to get involved in our political system. Its the only way equality will take place. We saw a tremendous turnout in 2008 by the youth who wanted to make a statement against the establishment. It cant be a one time event, and men and women like Zach will inspire that generation to continue fighting the establishment.

Posted by: John | Feb 1, 2011 7:28:15 PM

21. @DN: I'm not so sure. Ignorant Southerners and Midwesterners hate them Teh Gheyz something fierce. They TOLD us we were deviant and hell-bound, and did we go straight like they told us to?

No. We moved away from those sh!tholes and learned we were NOT worthless. And we became successful and happy and managed to keep our looks and make lots and lots of very interesting friends and travel and become good people. And they didn't.

But they can still make our lives miserable, because they feel like it. Because they're fundamentalist Christian and/or Catholic a$$holes.

Posted by: One of the CA 36,000 | Feb 1, 2011 7:28:15 PM

22. Wow. Amazing

Posted by: 818 | Feb 1, 2011 7:34:34 PM

23. Holy crap, that was an astonishingly magnificent speech. Wow, just wow. His delivery was PERFECT. I'm choked up at how good that was. The more people who see that clip, the better.

Posted by: Dan | Feb 1, 2011 7:35:27 PM

24. ANDY you know I've said it before, now I'm at it again. Thank you for sharing this wonderful slice of where we are, and how far we have gone. Made my day sir.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Feb 1, 2011 8:08:24 PM

25. Makes me proud to say I grew up in Iowa after hearing what this well-spoken man had to say.

Posted by: Dawn | Feb 1, 2011 8:11:44 PM