Barack Obama | Bullying | Michelle Obama | News

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Barack and Michelle Obama Record Facebook Video Against Bullying Ahead of White House Conference

Bullying_obama

The President and First Lady have recorded a Facebook message in advance of an anti-bullying conference which includes teachers, students, and community leaders, at the White House tomorrow.

WhiteHouse.gov/live plans to have live video throughout the day, as well as online chats. They're taking questions for one of them  HERE. You can also RSVP for a "Facebook live" chat and you can HERE. Learn more at StopBullying.gov.

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Maybe they could play it in the Kansas legislature and a few other government congresses...

Posted by: Michael | Mar 9, 2011 10:23:36 AM

2. I'm so glad to hear this - I'd venture to say that every GLBT kid has had the experience of being bullied. I certainly did, and I still recall every incident. It's a scarring experience to live through.

Posted by: Steve | Mar 9, 2011 10:34:56 AM

3. Tell me that youtube randomly picked that screenshot/sprite to display over the video.

Coz Mrs Obama is giving "that face".

Posted by: suede | Mar 9, 2011 10:37:51 AM

4. Love them.

Posted by: Damen | Mar 9, 2011 10:55:46 AM

5. Maybe Obama will realize that the Federal government's stance on civil rights for gays and lesbians provides an atmosphere where it is okay to bash gays and lesbians.

Posted by: Nick | Mar 9, 2011 11:16:56 AM

6. Maybe we, as gay adults, have to stop living our lives as victims. Maybe if we appropriately stand up for ourselves and make ourselves visible in a civil way (i.e. not screaming, yelling or walking down the street in assless chaps), we will promote the non-victim mentality in our young people and they will be proud of who they are. The bullying doesn't happen JUST to gay kids. It happens to kids percieved as weak. And this weakness often comes as a result of interactions with adults. I work with these kids. The weakness is not because they are gay. It is because the kids themselves equate gay with being a victim. NOT because of the "Homophobia" but because of the behaviors and comments some prominent gay people make.

So lets stop being victims. Instead of pointing out all the time how people are "homophobes" why don't we focus on the people who do love us? The people who do support us. Let's re-vamp gay blogs and websites to focus just on the positive. They will run into the negative on their own. But the more positivity they see prior to that, the better equip they will be in coping with it.

Posted by: BC | Mar 9, 2011 11:56:50 AM

7. On the website Obama mentioned, www.stopbullying.gov, I'm glad to see that LGBT bullying is one of the three main secions/links.

Posted by: Phil | Mar 9, 2011 1:18:15 PM

8. Must admit I have never admired a first couple quite like I do with the one we have now.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Mar 9, 2011 1:36:17 PM

9. I am so proud of our president and the first lady :)

Posted by: Theo | Mar 9, 2011 2:14:48 PM

10. @BC:
    It's interesting that you equate "alternative lifestyle" i.e. wearing assless chaps, as victimization. Your call for action, although I assume well-intended, is misdirected. A mark of a true civil society is its tolerance for each other's individuality. Your argument, which I think is "stand up for who you are", becomes moot once you try to persuade all to "normalize".

I do agree that we need to reap our successes and capitalize on them. This is easier said than done when attacks against us get reported more often and more visibly, which affects how others perceive our community.

Posted by: JP | Mar 9, 2011 3:08:06 PM

11. JP - my point is, specifically, that in any other parade/public gathering, assless chaps would be not acceptable. If we want people to treat us "normal" then we need to "act normal." Acting "normal" is not acting "straight" but it is abiding to the same laws and standards and norms that other people must as well.

It is typically the "gay media" that constantly reports on potential gay related attacks before anything is known. Yes, it is important to know the dangers out there but I would love to see someone start a gay blog just about the positivity of the gay community. The love we share. The way we make the world a better place.

Posted by: BC | Mar 10, 2011 9:46:09 AM