Javier Bardem | Josh Brolin | Kiss | News | Oscars

Did Oscar Producers Get 'Gay Panic' When Josh Brolin and Javier Bardem Kissed During the Telecast?

Bb1

Josh Brolin and Javier Bardem exchanged a playful kiss and danced at the Oscars but viewers never saw the kiss and producers quickly cut away from the dance, which is a shame because the producers clearly needed something in the telecast that was entertaining.

AfterElton's Michael Jensen wonders why it was censored:

"Viewers saw the two men walk out onto stage where they engaged in an apparently impromptu dance, though viewers only saw a flash of that before the camera jumped to an extended shot of Penelope Cruz...So why the cut away? On one hand, it seems unlikely that ABC would find a kiss between Bardem and Brolin to be something needing to be censored. After all, back in 2006, the Oscar telecast included a Brokeback Mountain spoof featuring Jon Stewart and George Clooney in bed. On the other hand, the cutaway to Cruz seemed awkward and clearly lasted until the two men had stopped dancing. Frankly, it's hard not to wonder if it might not have something to do with the Adam Lambert imbroglio from the American Music Awards."

ABC told AfterElton it would have no comment on the issue.

FLASHBACK: Brolin and Bardem have a tradition of getting affectionate and playful on Oscar night.

(dance photo source, kiss photo source)

Bb2

Comments

1. I called that when it happened. There's no way it was by accident. They broadcast just the beginning of them coming together and then smash cut to Penelope Cruz for 8 or 9 seconds? Sad.

Not two men dancing together! Heavens to Betsy!

Posted by: luminum | Mar 1, 2011 11:21:24 AM

2. How awful for people to see two men dancing and kissing!
    So much about Hollywood this time...

Posted by: Matt26 | Mar 1, 2011 11:27:45 AM

3. DEAR TOWLEROAD THERE IS RECENT NEWS I BELIEVE OUT NOW ABOUT A RAID BY POLICE IN A GAY BAR IN JAMAICA!!!THE BUJU BACKLASH HAS BEGUN IN JAMAICA AGAINST THE GAY COMMUNITY!!!!!

Posted by: sal | Mar 1, 2011 11:31:31 AM

4. ABC and Disney- homophobic-
    Shocked I tell you -I am just shocked.

Posted by: nick | Mar 1, 2011 11:45:43 AM

5. I didn't see it, but looking at it on replays, clearly intentional. You would think ABC had learned their lesson, after the Lambert situation blew up in their face, receiving way more negative calls than calls supporting their homophobia. But, I guess not. Says a whole lot about the type of people at ABC who are willing to show an interview of a crack/sex addict early in the morning, but late at night will not show two men smooching. Wonder when these TV execs will get over the "OMG, gays!" phase.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 1, 2011 11:52:50 AM

6. Oh, and of course ABC isn't going to comment. They are going to pretend nothing happened whatsoever and let the storm pass. Time to put the pressure on ABC to explain this.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 1, 2011 11:54:51 AM

7. I have a dream, that one day two men kissing on TV or anywhere in public, will not be news.

Posted by: Edd | Mar 1, 2011 12:00:18 PM

8. I wish I had noticed that bullsh*t, so I could have removed the whole broadcast from my DVR. Truth told, I skipped through lots of the show anyway, b/c I really just wanted to see Zachary Levi ("Chuck") duet with Mandy Moore.

Posted by: Fredo Troy | Mar 1, 2011 12:03:10 PM

9. How lovely that they dressed the same as well!

Posted by: Jim Steele | Mar 1, 2011 12:04:01 PM

10. It's this type of bigotry at the Oscars that led me to stop watching years ago.

Posted by: JKM | Mar 1, 2011 12:12:20 PM

11. Yeah I thought that cutaway was a bit odd too. I actually thought (what I saw of it) looked cute and wanted to see more. I figured they must have made an obscene gesture or something for the camera to have pulled away so long. I never thought two guys dancing would be considered obscene.

Posted by: Secret Identity | Mar 1, 2011 12:13:37 PM

12. Ahh yes. More proof of Hollywood's blatant liberalism! What a bunch of cowardly bastards. But, for me personally, it's irrelevant because I don't watch the insipid Oscar circus and I'm not a movie goer.

Posted by: Bob R | Mar 1, 2011 2:17:14 PM

13. Hello...Modern Family is on ABC and its gay couple kisses fairly regularly. Granted, this was a stupid move for the pathetic Oscars, but let's not go overboard.

Posted by: David R. | Mar 1, 2011 2:49:46 PM

14. I noticed it as well and thought it was bullshit. I am surprised to here that they actually kissed, too. Good for them for being so comfortable with the sexuality... it's obvious both guys are straight, but up for a laugh and they totally exposed ABC's homophobia.

Posted by: GraphicJack | Mar 1, 2011 3:13:34 PM

15. This is outrageous -- that ABC censored this. How dare they?

Posted by: Ryan | Mar 1, 2011 3:32:51 PM

16. Before everyone condemns the Oscar producers, ABC, Disney and media in general, you might want to step back and consider that the show director had seconds to make that call to switch cameras.

Was it a bad decision? Yes. Does the director have a room full of producers and network execs standing behind him second guessing his every move? Yes.

It was a bad call in a 3+ hour live telecast. That's all.

Posted by: Doug | Mar 1, 2011 4:30:25 PM

17. I didn't see it but now that I've heard about it I'm sure they are both gay. And poor Penelope's marriage is doomed now!

And what extremely bad taste to cut away to the injured party's face as her spouse cheats on her. Shocking! Outrageous!

Just watch now as many celebrity marriages disintegrate after this fiasco.

Posted by: Teapot Tempest | Mar 1, 2011 5:02:57 PM

18. Thinking about it, it AIR'd on ABC, but it is up to DIRECTOR's and PRODUCER's what went out on a LIVE broadcast who are chosen by the Academy. Don't think you can really blame ABC on this one.

Posted by: CB | Mar 1, 2011 5:12:07 PM

19. Here we go again!

Hollywood exploiting gays by playing gay!

Posted by: J | Mar 1, 2011 5:31:27 PM

20. Well the Oscars is a family show! Not the Gay Superbowl. The cutaway was obvious and awkward-well at least we got Mr Franco is drag and is those nice white ballet tights in the opening spoof which remained the highlight of the show.

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 1, 2011 6:11:41 PM

21. Family show? Um, a same-sex smooch is not anti-family, immoral nor offense towards children, Jaragon. Also, Doug, you're right, it is the directors who made the bad decision. But no, it's not "that's all." It's homophobia, labeling any mere same-sex embrace as essentially over the top, potentially offensive publicly toxic. They cut a dance and smooch, not even a kiss, but a smooch, between 2 straight guys on the Oscars. Is homosexuality that contentious an issue and that disturbing that this is wholly necessary? I don't think so, and I think a stern message needs to be sent that this is unacceptable.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 1, 2011 8:08:26 PM

22. i'm doubting they would have cut away from an opposite-sex dance

Posted by: r | Mar 1, 2011 9:18:02 PM

23. It was probably a planned cutaway, specially if nothing special was expected on stage. It is not the first time cameras cut to a wife, husband, or family as actors walk out on stage. Such drama queens.

Posted by: MarcosD | Mar 1, 2011 9:20:25 PM

24. Shame on ABC. This is something that needs to be explained. Keep on them.

Posted by: Randy | Mar 1, 2011 9:21:14 PM

25. The excuse they are going to give is that the Oscars is a live show- but didn't one of the producers of "The King's Speech" thank his boyfriend ?!

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 1, 2011 9:30:57 PM