Fashion Men | John Galliano | News

Designer John Galliano Releases Statement, Goes to Rehab

Following questioning over a drunken attack on a couple in a Parisian cafe, the posting of a video containing an anti-Semitic rant on the internet, and his expulsion from Dior, designer John Galliano is reportedly headed into rehab:

John_galliano He was persuaded to accept treatment for his alcohol problems by close colleagues and friends like the supermodels Naomi Campbell and Kate Moss, the sources said. While the treatment center is not known, it is likely that his destination is The Meadows, a facility in Wickenberg, Arizona, where Elton John and Donatella Versace were treated in recent years.

For Christian Dior, the billion-dollar fashion house that dismissed him on Tuesday for making anti-Semitic remarks while apparently drunk, the problems are only multiplying. The Dior autumn 2011 women’s wear show will go ahead here on Friday, according to a person at Dior who asked not to be identified.

UPDATE: Galliano has released his first public statement in which he denies he made any anti-Semitic remarks.

Read it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Previously...

Dior Fires Designer John Galliano Over Anti-Semitic Remarks [tr]
Watch: John Galliano Mobbed at Paris Court, Condemed by Portman [tr]
Watch: Dior Designer John Galliano Proclaims 'I Love Hitler' [tr]
Galliano Files Defamation Lawsuit Against Couple He is Accused of Attacking [tr]
Dior Designer John Galliano Arrested in Paris for Drunken, Anti-Semitic Assault [tr]

STATEMENT BY JOHN GALLIANO

Since the events of last Thursday evening I have not been able to make any public comment on what took place based upon advice from my French lawyer. However, given the continuing delays at the French Prosecutor's Office I should make my position clear.

I completely deny the claims made against me and have fully co-operated with the Police investigation.

A number of independent witnesses have given evidence and have told the Police that I was subjected to verbal harassment and an unprovoked assault when an individual tried to hit me with a chair having taken violent exception to my look and my clothing. For these reasons I have commenced proceedings for defamation and the threats made against me.

However, I fully accept that the accusations made against me have greatly shocked and upset people.

I must take responsibility for the circumstances in which I found myself and for allowing myself to be seen to be behaving in the worst possible light. I only have myself to blame and I know that I must face up to my own failures and that I must work hard to gain people's understanding and compassion. To start this process I am seeking help and all I can hope for in time is to address the personal failure which led to these circumstances and try and earn people's forgiveness.

I have fought my entire life against prejudice, intolerance and discrimination having been subjected to it myself. In all my work my inspiration has been to unite people of every race, creed, religion and sexuality by celebrating their cultural and ethnic diversity through fashion. That remains my guiding light.

Anti-Semitism and racism have no part in our society. I unreservedly apologise for my behaviour in causing any offence.

Comments

1. Can rehab cure douchebaggery?

Posted by: Jeffrey in St. Louis | Mar 2, 2011 11:30:05 AM

2. Maybe he'll end up at the same rehab center that "cured" Mel Gibson

Posted by: RJ | Mar 2, 2011 11:53:33 AM

3. Poor thing. It's rough being a successful, wealthy fashion designer.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 2, 2011 11:53:34 AM

4. anti-semitic rehab?

Posted by: Griff | Mar 2, 2011 11:54:21 AM

5. A lot of public antisemitism by well known people lately. What's up with that? Even Julian Assange has gotten in on the act.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 2, 2011 11:55:20 AM

6. LOL, Naomi Campbell...

Figures they'd be friends. They deserve each other...

Posted by: Jack | Mar 2, 2011 12:36:50 PM

7. "A lot of public antisemitism by well known people lately. What's up with that? Even Julian Assange has gotten in on the act."

No, there has been a lot of reported anti-semitism by famous people lately. In the case of Sheen and Assange the charges don't hold up.

Posted by: Christopher | Mar 2, 2011 1:13:06 PM

8. So is he going to actually apologize for saying he wished those women had been murdered or "gassed" like their forefathers....or isn't he? Does he still love Adolf or not?

Posted by: Kayla | Mar 2, 2011 2:29:39 PM

9. Delete the first three paragraphs and the word "any" in the last sentence. Works better that way.

I want a job editing celebrity apologies. My God, I could retire in 2-3 years!

Posted by: Latebrosus | Mar 2, 2011 2:50:39 PM

10. @Christopher,

Sheen, yeah, maybe. Not Assange. I've read what he said, and it's unquestionably anti-semitic, specifically anti-Jewish.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 2, 2011 2:58:52 PM

11. So this guy goes to jail for saying what he saidin France, but in the U.S we all applaud our court allowing people to have signs at the funeral of gay people who died that read "You're fag son will burn in hell now"

The problem with gays is...we think that harrasment of every other group (including those who believe in fairy tales in the sky) trump our own harrasment. When we are violently assaulted, there's gays who will defend the attackers. I understand those gays are self loathing and hate the idea of being gay, but it's still amazing to me that the Phelps clan is applauded on here and this guy is going to jail.

That's not only double standard....that's just the stupidity of the human race.

Posted by: Kyle G. | Mar 2, 2011 5:25:18 PM

12. Naomi Campbell and Kate Moss providing counseling on substance abuse is something I'd expect to read in the Onion.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 2, 2011 5:27:55 PM

13. I assume he spoke in French, so really, how much offense can be taken? I mean who can understand angry French? All the words run together.

Posted by: Teapot Tempest | Mar 2, 2011 5:59:02 PM

14. he's made some vile comments. And he has apologised.

Well it's a start.

Has Natalie Portman (who was quite vocal in her condemation of Galliano) been asked to explain her support of convicted child rapist Roman Polanski, yet?

Posted by: SteveC | Mar 2, 2011 6:32:19 PM

15. This seems like a great apology to me. I don't know what more you people are looking for.

Posted by: Jack | Mar 2, 2011 11:19:16 PM

16. The term "fashion nazi" has taken on new meaning, thanks to Galliano :>

Posted by: Chaq | Mar 3, 2011 4:38:30 AM

17. Many of the celebs recently have joined and over comed their addictions issues

Posted by: Drug Rehab CA | Mar 24, 2012 2:38:44 PM