Film | Liberace | Matt Damon | Michael Douglas | News

Matt Damon and Michael Douglas Prepare Lips for Contact

Douglas_damon

Matt Damon and Michael Douglas told E!'s Marc Malkin and Brett Malec that they're going to be locking lips more than once in the upcoming Liberace biopic directed by Steven Soderbergh:

"It's scripted that there's more than one," Damon revealed to us last night at the Hollywood premiere of My Way, the new HBO documentary about ├╝berproducer Jerry Weintraub.

Damon, who is set to play Liberace's much younger lover, added with a smile, "I never thought I would get to kiss Michael Douglas."

Shortly after the movie was announced, Douglas told me, "I just saw Matt...and I was teasing him," he said. "I was saying, 'Bring a lot of ChapStick, babe.' "

Previously...
Michael Douglas and Matt Damon to Play Lovers in Liberace Biopic [tr]

Comments

1. They should nix Douglas and get Mickey Rourke to play Liberace.

Posted by: gregg | Mar 23, 2011 12:02:50 PM

2. There was a rahter good TV movie several years back "Behind The Candelabra" starring Victor Garber (an actual gay man) as Liberace. The script was by Gavin Lambert (an actual gay man as well.)

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 23, 2011 12:09:35 PM

3. michael douglas is one lucky fella

Posted by: ant | Mar 23, 2011 12:15:06 PM

4. who wouldnt want to kiss Matt?

Interesting what Lainey's gossip site has to say about Matt too...

Posted by: dc20008 | Mar 23, 2011 12:45:53 PM

5. Come on, how great a role is Liberace to play? And Douglas will knock this out of the park. This will end up being his third Oscar.

Posted by: BartB | Mar 23, 2011 12:55:44 PM

6. I like Gregg's idea.

I don't think it matters if the writer/actors are gay or straight. All that matters is the quality of the talent and the commitment to the material.

How about this. First time I can remember that two major possibly awards-contention Hollywood projects about gay men in actual production at the same time.

Posted by: DaVinciSmetana | Mar 23, 2011 1:13:15 PM

7. While they both have star-power, I'm not sure why cast Matt who's 41 and twice Scott Thorson's age at that time. Thorson was only 24 when he filed-suit against Liberace after a 5-year association.

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Mar 23, 2011 1:49:16 PM

8. Uh... they're BOTH too old for the parts.

Posted by: BobN | Mar 23, 2011 3:26:39 PM

9. Why is it still such a big deal when straight (or whatever) actors have to kiss? Get over it.

Posted by: boo | Mar 23, 2011 3:38:19 PM

10. scott thorson looked like he was 40 so its perfect

Posted by: jj | Mar 23, 2011 5:13:23 PM

11. Damon might be 40 but he can still has the boyish charm for the role.

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 23, 2011 6:19:13 PM

12. If Kevin Spacey @ 45 was even allowed to play Bobby Darin from 20 - 37, I think Michael Douglas @ 66 can play 58 - 63.

Posted by: DaVinciSmetana | Mar 24, 2011 2:37:46 AM