Glee

Vanity Fair Writer Refers To Glee Characters As 'Fags'

Glee
While reviewing last week's episode of Glee titled "Sexy," Vanity Fair Brett Berk used the word "fags" to describe the characters of Kurt and Blaine, portrayed by Chris Colfer and Darren Criss. Berk mentions it in his analysis of the performace by the two of Neon Trees' "Animal": "Nice singing. But how can having girls in the audience make these cartwheeling, foam-party fags straight-sexy?"

Watch the clip Berk is referring to, AFTER THE JUMP.

Glee2

Comments

1. Vanity Fair is a homophobic publication. I stopped purchasing it years ago. It's run by liberal Democrats with an aversion to male homosexuality.

Posted by: brian | Mar 13, 2011 5:16:01 PM

2. Brett Berk is gay and uses the f word a lot. Isn't he granted the agency to "take it back?" I'm not sure I understand why this is news.

Posted by: Liz | Mar 13, 2011 5:16:30 PM

3. Personally I think Glee sucks...But this Berk guy is just a gray-haired middle-aged loser who has a job that won't exist in a decade, when I'm 29. Nobody my age gives a flying f$#k, what an aging hipsters like him thinks anyway! Most people over 35 make me want to puke...DIE ALREADY!

Posted by: Pedro | Mar 13, 2011 5:19:39 PM

4. I guess he has just as much right to "take it back" as we have to be offended by it. just becuz he's gay doesn't mean its ok for him to use that word.

Posted by: Rob | Mar 13, 2011 5:19:51 PM

5. Berk is best described by "the C-word."

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 13, 2011 5:23:22 PM

6. I guess the article was trying to be hip. Not sure because it was a struggle to read-poorly written and just asinine. I'm not even sure if "fag" is a word that we want to reclaim. Using it just makes him sound jealous that he's not one of the "party-fags" whomever they may be.

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Mar 13, 2011 5:30:37 PM

7. As far as the musical number I thought it was a bit of a mess- the use of the f-word in the review just some idiot trying to sound hip but failing.

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 13, 2011 5:39:22 PM

8. Yeah Jaragon, I think you nailed it. Trying to be "hip" never works. "Hey Faggot" went out years ago when Dan Savage dropped it as his allowed salutation on his advice column.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Mar 13, 2011 5:46:31 PM

9. It seems like a pretty clear appropriation of the term to me. The article is clearly written by, about, and for queer individuals. If it can't be claimed and used as empowering in an article like that, can it ever?

Posted by: Amy Pace | Mar 13, 2011 5:48:52 PM

10. Further, isn't he saying that the production of the scene to imply heterosexuality fails? He's saying, even with the intentionally placed female fans to assert heteronormativity onto the scene, it still reads as queer. He's saying: this is still a queer moment, regardless of the ladies. Pretty unquestionably pro-queer statement, if you ask me.

Posted by: Amy Pace | Mar 13, 2011 5:52:04 PM

11. The use of the "F" word should be off limits. Just like the "N" word.
    Now as far as this writer being gay, well shame on him and his publication. He was obviously trying to sound hip, which just makes him indicative of the problem.
    Now whether or not you care for Glee, my first suggestion is to lighten up. We need to appreciate the boldness of including these gay teenage characters and giving them more than "gay best friend of the lead female" story lines, particularly with one of them being played by a gay young man who was only 17 when he took the part! In my book that is brave and he doesn't deserve the "F' slur in any context, hip or otherwise.

Posted by: Larry | Mar 13, 2011 5:52:05 PM

12. LOL....this is too easy. I could say something, but will keep my pie hole shut.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 13, 2011 6:11:49 PM

13. Stupid, thoughtless wording. I hope it hurts his career.

Posted by: enough | Mar 13, 2011 6:19:43 PM

14. I don't want to hear that word. I don't care who it comes from.

Posted by: Mawm | Mar 13, 2011 6:21:54 PM

15. Some of you need to untwist your panties. I figured the writer was gay the second I saw this item, and as a fellow fag, I reserve the right to use the word. (And to call the magazine that employs George Wayne homophobic is a little ridiculous—they routinely publish Wayne asking celebrities how big their dicks are.) More specific to this bit on Glee, I saw the episode in question, and the whole point of the segment, in which a nightclub foam dispenser was, indeed, deployed, was that Kurt's slutty-girly stripper moves were wayyyy too cheesy and drag queeny to make any actual female—or much of anybody else—read him as sexy. Maybe brain-damaged. It wasn't even so much sissy-ish; his moves were more like a sissy's idea of how a sleazy, femme-fatale stripper might dance. Which is to say that Brett was quite right.

Posted by: Rehab | Mar 13, 2011 6:21:58 PM

16. Amy Pace,

That's a lot of psycho-babble. If you have to say all that to parse what he meant then he's a piss poor communicator.

He just comes across as nasty to me.

Posted by: Mawm | Mar 13, 2011 6:25:29 PM

17. Wow...Pedro...it's a good thing I'm 34 and 363 days old. I wouldn't want to make you puke or die today.

I understand the train of thought of "reclaiming" the word but that doesn't mean I like it. I wish it was one of those words that would just go away forever.

Posted by: Carissa | Mar 13, 2011 6:28:44 PM

18. This is more of an editorial than an actual objective retelling of the episode. It was suppose to be a "gay" guide and I think he attempted to add familiarity by tossing around the fag word similar to way the n-word is tossed around. I see this as a work of art, and whether or not you agree with it it has the right to exist and not be censored by people who say that others don't have the RIGHT to do things. When did they become the "arbiters of good taste" (yes Hathaway I love you so I quote you)? All the people in the comments will expend their energy being angry at this one guy who said a bad word about their precious chris colfer, and will spend no energy/time actively working to aid the gay community.

Posted by: CHILL | Mar 13, 2011 6:33:21 PM

19. Rehab, you may reserve the right to use those words, but it makes you sound immature and self-hating.

Let me ask you something. Would you say "untwist your panties", "fellow fag", or "sissy" at work? Would you say it to someone you love? Would you accept being called that by someone else? What if the person calling you that were straight?

Posted by: Mawm | Mar 13, 2011 6:34:27 PM

20. Not the first time either - interesting "fag"connection VF Daily
    FagBug Vandalized Again!
    by Brett Berk
    March 10, 2011, 4:15 PM

Posted by: Jessica Naomi | Mar 13, 2011 6:37:59 PM

21. Glee makes me want to puke. There, I said it.

Posted by: hank | Mar 13, 2011 6:41:30 PM

22. MAWM are you even gay? Or are you just one of those people who likes to get offended at this that don't concern them and feels better when they call other people out on things. If fag is a bad word of course they wouldn't say it at work, and maybe not even to someone they loved. But this isn't what we are dealing with here, this is an authours own opinion, so he can say whatever the hell he wants. I think he is just a piss poor at communicating, like that guy said. Spend your energy making sure I can marry in Maryland and not on something as trivial as this.

Posted by: CHILL | Mar 13, 2011 6:43:42 PM

23. I really don't see the point in "reclaiming" those words. Self-stereotyping sucks just as much to many of us. But maybe I am just being a bitchy queen *rolls eyes*.

Posted by: Chris | Mar 13, 2011 6:43:49 PM

24. Glee?

Posted by: dingo | Mar 13, 2011 6:44:53 PM

25. Pedro: Just wait a while. Even better, print your comment on archival paper and just wait a while.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Mar 13, 2011 6:51:01 PM