Bullying | News

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Bullied Kid Snaps, Takes Down Kid Who is Bullying Him

Bullied

UPDATED - clip replaced.

The following video was posted on Facebook originally, and is beginning to cause quite a stir.

Writes the poster on Facebook, Merlsification: "The larger kid on the right, is my son's friend Casey - thankfully they don't go to the same school. Poor Casey has been bullied his whole high school life, and this is what happens when he snaps!! But guess who was suspended in this scenario - Casey!!"

The bullied kid who fought back already has his own Facebook support page.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. As long as teachers and school boards pretend this issue doesn't exist, and the parents of these bullies don't ever care to actually figure out what's causing the behavior and how to end it, incidents like this will continue to happen. Not all kids will be victims. I respect this kid for standing up for himself.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 14, 2011 12:25:18 PM

2. ...and the silicon chip inside his head gets switched to overload...

I hope that kid has a giant black bruise for the rest of the summer, and a hip that aches every time it rains when he's in his sixties.

Posted by: Kevin | Mar 14, 2011 12:28:21 PM

3. ...oops, and now I'm thinking of RuPaul's Drag Race when Ru says to Mimi Imfurst:

"DRAG...is not a contact sport."

Posted by: Kevin | Mar 14, 2011 12:29:26 PM

4. Even at 42, I sometimes think back to those days and wish I'd had the balls (and size) to do the same thing.

Good for him!

Posted by: steve | Mar 14, 2011 12:33:26 PM

5. In the movies and TV aren't the bullies always the 'Big' kids? Isn't it always the 'Little' kids, the 'Boyish' kids, the skinny kids who get bullied? Guess not. Some of the biggest punks and bonafide thugs I've ever encountered have been small, skinny, boyish dudes.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 14, 2011 12:35:00 PM

6. Bravo, Casey!

Posted by: TANK | Mar 14, 2011 12:36:23 PM

7. Good for the kid for fighting back. If adults would treat bullying seriously, this wouldn't have to happen.

And Ratbastard has a point. While the fatties are usually thought of as the bullies, it seems like the reality is a bit different. Sure, there are some fat bullies out there, but all of the big kids I hung out with in school were of the "gentle giant" variety. They were teased and bullied for being different. The bullies were the 'cool' kids.

Posted by: EI | Mar 14, 2011 12:42:24 PM

8. I wish that Casey didn't have to resort to that type of violence, and that the school had interceded earlier. As someone who was never bullied in school and has never been a bully, I just don't understand what anyone gains from it. I just hope that Casey can have some peace in his life now.

Posted by: james in toronto | Mar 14, 2011 12:44:13 PM

9. I dunno, Casey's retort made me jump and I was very disturbed by how he threw that kid on the ground. Not saying that I couldn't understand Casey's frustration, but had that kid broken his neck in the fall it would have been incredibly awful. Violence shouldn't beget violence . . . that said, the fact that the kids were filming this and there were no school administrators to be found makes me incredibly sad.

(And I say this as someone who was verbally harassed throughout grade school)

Posted by: Alejandro | Mar 14, 2011 12:49:35 PM

10. rock ON, Casey.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 14, 2011 12:50:11 PM

11. Awesome. Good for him.

Posted by: Brian | Mar 14, 2011 12:50:27 PM

12. When are we going to realize that bullying doesn't stop in the schoolyard? The subtleties of PSYCHOLOGICAL bullying are more prevalent than ever in the adult work/corporate world. Adults continue to bully one another all the time. Why do you think there are so many lawyers and lawsuits? America is a nation built on intimidation and bullying. It is in our cultural DNA. Adult bullies are most usually rewarded in our society by becoming CEO's and Generals and Wisconsin Governor's. Then they end up running the world

Posted by: Mr. West | Mar 14, 2011 12:55:30 PM

13. Any such behavior should not be applauded, this is terrible regardless of the issues.

Posted by: Phil | Mar 14, 2011 12:57:33 PM

14. I have to agree with Alejandro. The final "throw down" was a jarring experience to watch. It could have ended very badly for everyone. My thoughts and prayers are with both teens and my hope is they find some peace.

Posted by: Brad | Mar 14, 2011 1:00:13 PM

15. I am SOOO proud of Casey. I wished I was his size when I was bullied in jr.high school.

Posted by: mark | Mar 14, 2011 1:02:45 PM

16. That was incredibly satisfying to watch.

Posted by: barto | Mar 14, 2011 1:04:28 PM

17. Go Casey!

Posted by: Rocco | Mar 14, 2011 1:06:31 PM

18. the little kid learns a lesson, but nobody else does. The lesson the little kid learns is that his size is a disadvantage to even a slow fat kid, he will learn how to not be thrown again.

The bullied kid learns nothing, and gets nothing. No "good for him" he in no way benefited from this experience. Now if the bully had detained the kid by confronting him verbally and physically maybe something else would have happened, maybe not, either way the root cause for the bulling (Communication) is not tackled.

Posted by: Fenrox | Mar 14, 2011 1:08:01 PM

19. I feel sad for everyone in this video: the smaller kid, the bullied kid, the kids videotaping it. Everyone is just reduced to the lower common denominator. And I agree with some of the others here: if that smaller kid had gotten his neck broken and paralyzed we probably wouldn't be cheering Casey on.

Posted by: David | Mar 14, 2011 1:08:29 PM

20. Bravo, Casey! For those you have pity for the skinny bastard because he might have gotten hurt due to Casey's throw down, well, who's to blame here? It's not Casey, the bullied kid, who'd finally had enough being slapped around by this punk but how about looking at the school teachers and administrators and his parents. Bullying IS a huge problem in American schools so let's hope those in charge who consider themselves "adults" do something about it.

Posted by: Rob | Mar 14, 2011 1:16:36 PM

21. I would like to take the high road and agree with Alejandro. I really would. Academically, he's right.

Unfortunately, reality is that sometimes you have to stand up for yourself. Especially when dealing with gangs, which this jerk and his photographer and the spectators amounted. Like rabid dogs, they come at you again and again until they wear you down.

I'm sorry for Casey's experience and hope his actions, which he apparently was hesitant to take until that moment, bring him some peace at school.

Shame on his uncaring school and shame on the pathetic loser bullies.

Posted by: UncyCarl | Mar 14, 2011 1:17:24 PM

22. I once took down an older kid at school after he had been intensely bullying me for being gay for several months. It felt great and the kid never dared come near me again. I still think about it sometimes and feel proud for standing up for myself. But watching this just made me very sad. The bully could have been seriously hurt with permanent consequences. I don't understand how some people here can wish this on anybody, let alone a kid. And it is tragic that the whole thing could escalate to this stage, when Casey could no longer control his frustration. Nobody wins in this situation.

Posted by: borut | Mar 14, 2011 1:19:12 PM

23. Goodness. THAT was brutal. Casey really threw that kid down hard and it is a wonder the kid didn't end up with a broken bone. What was the smaller kid thinking - that he could get away with bullying? Casey took that first shot rather bravely. Looks as though the other kid was aware of the camera - and it was probably a setup - what the kid wasn't expecting was the smack down he got.

Well done Casey.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Mar 14, 2011 1:20:45 PM

24. That was AMAZING!
    Since the teachers,parents and school officials are completely absent and obviously unable/unwilling to do the TEACHING,PARENTING and DISCIPLINING of these young people directly under their supervision and well-being it's great to see the bully be taken down.
    Great to see someone standing up for themselves.

Posted by: SFshawn | Mar 14, 2011 1:21:35 PM

25. Fenrox, I don't know whether you were bullied or were a bully yourself, but you're entirely wrong here. The bullied kid got some fleeting satisfaction from besting his tormenter. He also learned what he's capable of doing, and I'm willing to bet it won't sit well with him. He clearly didn't want to hurt the other kid, and after he slammed him, he was done and walked away. The smaller kid got a reaction from the bigger kid, and that's probably all the bullying was really aimed at doing, anyway. The kids themselves would most likely consider this settled if it weren't for video, facebook groups, media attention and online commentators like us speculating about their emotional states. Now, who knows what will happen?

And David, I hate to say it, but yes, I probably would still cheer Casey on if the smaller kid were seriously injured. All the better to serve as an example of why bullying is bullshit.

Posted by: Brian | Mar 14, 2011 1:23:43 PM