Japan | News | Volcanoes

Watch: Japan's Shinmoedake Volcano Erupts Again

Volcano

Japan's Shinmoedake Volcano, which erupted in January for the first time since 1959, began erupting again yesterday on Japan's southern island of Kyushu. It's not clear whether there is any connection to the earthquakes in northern Japan.

Watch new day and night footage of the eruption, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. How much more terrible things can a country face?
    I feel so sad for the Japanese people.

Posted by: Matt26 | Mar 14, 2011 11:42:24 AM

2. Sheesh!

Not to make light of a truly awful situation, but what's next for these poor people -- Godzilla?! :-(

Posted by: JSH | Mar 14, 2011 12:01:58 PM

3. This is just getting ridiculous - when does it stop??

Posted by: Charles | Mar 14, 2011 12:07:53 PM

4. This is an internet hoax that has been passed around. I saw it on reddit and others had commented that it was very similar to the January volcano. A bit of sleuthing turned up that it was old footage. Here is some of the old video. Also, check news sites for Shinmoe Dake Japan volcano.

Posted by: Brian | Mar 14, 2011 12:08:03 PM

5. I haven't heard that this is a hoax [http://bigthink.com/ideas/31606]

One thing that I keep reading is that people are asking whether or not the earthquake is the cause for a second eruption... what I haven't heard is a suggestion that perhaps the Volcanic eruption in January might have influenced plate movement or caused something to stir.

I am no science person but could this not be true?

Posted by: Billy O. | Mar 14, 2011 5:40:20 PM

6. Earthquakes! Giant Tidal Waves! Volcanoes! You think Mother Nature really doesn't like poo Japan?

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 14, 2011 5:58:22 PM