Atlanta Braves Coach Accused of Anti-Gay Slurs, Gestures

Bat

At a press conference carried by TMZ this afternoon, a father accused Atlanta Braves pitching coach Roger McDowell of using anti-gay slurs and gestures in front of his family, which included his two 9-year-old girls. The girls were also present at the presser.

Mcdowell According to the father, McDowell asked a group of male fans, "Are you a homo couple or a threesome?"

TMZ adds:

Mega-attorney Gloria Allred announced the allegations moments ago in a news conference — representing a family of four (including two 9-year-old girls) who claim they watched McDowell make the homophobic remark and then use a baseball bat to simulate gay sex.

According to Allred, the family claims they also witnessed McDowell tell the group of male fans, "Are you three giving it to each other in the a**?"

The father claims he confronted McDowell from the stands — and McDowell responded by saying, "Kids don't f**king belong at the baseball park" … and then approached him with a baseball bat, saying, "How much are your teeth worth?"

Allred and the father also demonstrated how McDowell used the bat (above).

Watch part of the presser here.

Comments

1. jonnyho says

Okay, the coach is an offensive idiot. But the absurdity of watching Allred demonstrate the bat in the hole with that father — not to mention her repeating all the coach’s offending remarks while she’s flanked by the two nine year-old girls?!! Priceless…

2. Jeff says

for sure, Johnnyho. Seems like the kids were subject to more abhorrent and abusive behavior in Allred’s office than in the stands at the ball game.

3. ohplease says

… minus the fact that it was the exact same abhorrent and abusive behavior they experienced in the ballpark, only not directed at them with bigoted hate, of course.

4. DeeVee says

Boilerplate apologetic statement and alcohol treatment counseling announcement in 10, 9, 8, 7….

5. Danny says

Looks and sounds like McDowell’s got something on his mind that he can’t quite stop thinking or talking about.

6. Cybearsage says

Kevin, do you write comedy for a living? If not, then you have a night job to work on replacing your day job. Priceless!

7. Frederick says

I am sorry, but I fail to see the humor in this matter. If this coach was making racist remarks instead of homophobic ones, I think people would be taking this a lot more seriously. A few years ago,when that one radio announcer referred to African-American female basketball players as “nappy-headed ho’s” it cost him his job. Likewise, I truly feel this coach needs to be terminated for his homophobic comments/behavior.

8. RJ says

“Kids don’t belong at the baseball park?”

Wow.

I don’t think the Atlanta Braves owner would be very happy with one of his coaches saying something like that.

9. gomez says

@oh yeah. it’s doesn’t take a goproud-addled “gay patriot” to discern that allred is a shrill attention whore

10. says

Andy and Towleroad faithful. Roger McDowell is a good guy who made a mistake, and he has apologized. I have know Roger for 25 years. He is loved and respected for his actions with the fabled “Bleacher Bums” in Chicago’s Friendly Confines of Wrigley Field. If I did not know Roger, I would be the first in line to protest, like I did when other players made anti-gay remarks. However, those MLB players Julian Taverez and Jim Rocker were anti-gay. I have sent an email to Roger McDowell, asking him to make a contribution to San Francisco’s Harvey Milk Academy and Atlanta’s Gay Community Center. I urge all to consider the 25 years that Roger has been in MLB, as a pitcher and coach and not to judge him on a one day episode of poor judgment. Like I said… he did apologize. In my 40 years in the gay rights movement, I have seen poor judgment by those within our movement. Recently, I lost OUT for having my iconic image of Harvey Milk made into a mural at HRC’s new location at 575 Castro in Harvey’s old camera shop, because some in our community felt HRC was using Harvey’s name. We all make mistakes. Please accept Roger McDowell’s apology.

11. says

To the Towleroad faithful. I have known Roger McDowell for 25 years. He is a fan favorite with the fable “Bleacher Bums” of the friendly confines of Chicago’s Wrigley Field. He has apologized for his bad judgment. I urge everyone to accept his apology. I have sent him an email asking him to make a contribution to the S.F. Harvey Milk Academy and Atlanta’s Gay Community Center. Keep in mind, this was a one time case of bad judgment in his 25 year MLB career, and he apologized. If I did not know Roger, I would be the first in line to protest, as I did on several when 2 MLB players made anti-gay remarks. However there is a difference because Julian Taverez and Jim Rocker were anti-gay!

I have been involved in the Gay Rights Movement for 40 years, and have witnessed bad judgment made by gays toward gays. We all make mistakes. In my 25 years of roaming
    the bleachers in Wrigley, Roger Mc Dowell has been one of, if not the best player who
    entertained the fans prior to the game. I never witnessed any poor judgment by him during that time. I urge all to accept his apology for a one time moment of stupidity.